Moving A Tank To Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

FergusDaFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm setting up a new 20G at home and will take my 5G to work. What is the best way to do so? Drain down to the substrate but leave all of the plants? Pull out the plants and hardscape and do a full rebuild?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd leave everything in the tank, drain it down but leave enough water to cover the substrate and keep the plants wet. Put your filter media in a bag of tank water. Put Mr. Betta in something for transport. Take the whole lot to work, fill the tank back up with conditioned water at the correct temp, let the filter run for an hour or so, and then acclimate your fish and return him. Shouldn't be a huge deal I've moved fish back and forth from work several times.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How far are you from work? Move everything all at once. Drain 75% out put the media in a sealed container of tank water set it up at work get it running and your good. U could even drain the original water into a 5 gallon bucket n reuse it. It’s not going to be heavy being a 5 gallon tank 20 pounds max with a little water and substrate in it

OP
FergusDaFish

FergusDaFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It’s not going to be heavy being a 5 gallon tank 20 pounds max with a little water and substrate in it
A gallon of water weighs 8 pounds so my little 5G weighs about 45 pounds, not 20.

Thanks for the recommendations. That's what I thought to do but I'm stalling now because there is some hair algae in there and I don't want to deal with that at work so was torn between draining water and refilling at work or tearing the tank down, treating the algae and rebuilding at work.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A gallon of water weighs 8 pounds so my little 5G weighs about 45 pounds, not 20.

Thanks for the recommendations. That's what I thought to do but I'm stalling now because there is some hair algae in there and I don't want to deal with that at work so was torn between draining water and refilling at work or tearing the tank down, treating the algae and rebuilding at work.
Yes a full 5 gallon will weigh about 60 pounds with water and substrate but with it drained 75% will drop it quite a bit to about 20 pounds is what i was referring to. I agree to combat the algae issue at home before bringing it to work with you. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 5 16.7%

Top Bottom