Moving A Tank... Suggestions/Help... 75 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by AlexAlex, Dec 15, 2012.

1. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

I thought this would be the best place to post this thread being that it's mostly about moving equipment, etc.

I am moving my 75 Gallon Fish Tank to the opposite wall of my Office. This is where my soon-to-be upgraded tank will be setting. I'm moving this one in the same spot to test the floors on this wall (including how level it will be, etc).

My questions are: How long can I leave the filters off to move all of this before I start losing beneficial bacteria? How much water can I siphon out of the fish tank without the fish getting too nervous or stressed? Would it just be best to take the fish out and put them in a holding tank (as this could take an hour or two - but the only issue with this option is that it's only a 10 Gallon tank and there would be around 35 fish squished in the 10 Gallon for an hour or two)?

Any suggestions, advice or answers would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Alex :)

2. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

Leaving filter off for a number of hours should not be an issue. If you leave it off for days, obviously it depends how many days.

Last summer when I went on vacation, and my neigbor tried to fix my clogged sponge filter and wound up stopping my canister filter as well instead, my 29 gallon was without any filtration for most of a week, however it had only five danios in it, still after one week of no filtration it took only a day or two to get the cycle back. I would definitely not recommend leaving the filter off for a week, especially if you have more than the five small fish I had, but I was surprised by how long the bacteria and the fish survived without filtration. So as I said at the beginning, if you plan to leave the filter off for hours and not days, you don't have to worry about loosing your cycle I believe.

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Be sure to keep all of your filter media wet and it shouldn't be an issue as long as you can get it done all in 1 day (to be on the safe side). :)

It may be safest for the tank and easier for you to drain the tank completely, however, if you have a couple of strong buddies that can help you move it with fish in the tank, leave only enough water in the tank for the fish to swim in, then refill the tank with treated new water (chlorine removed and temperatures matched). This will be like a large water change and if your filter media has been kept wet, you shouldn't experience any mini cycles, but you never know for sure. :) Keep an eye on your readings.

I think it will be less stressful on the fish to leave them in the tank with enough water to swim.

If you are moving this tank simply to test the new area and you plan to move the tank back, I would consider other options. Maybe use a plastic storage bin full of water to test how level it is.

Seems like a lot of work if this is not going to be a permanent home for the 75g.

Ken

4. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

I literally just moved my fish tank from my attic to my ground floor, this is how I did it.

I took out 2/3 of the water into a bucket, I moved my fish in to that water, I then brought the bucket down stairs and put my heater into it. I drained the rest of my water and brought all my equipment down stairs, I filled 2/3 my tank with fresh treated water and added in my fish, I then added 1/3 of the old water back in. and added the heater back in and turned back on the filter, no casualties.

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello,

I think it would be safer for the fish, to add old water to the tank first so that the fish do not have to acclimate all over again and then fill the tank with new water. Some folks may have pH issues/differences from tank to tap. Adding fish to new water that may have a lower pH than what may be in the bucket (tank water) could be fatal to your fish.

If your pH from tank to tap matches, even better! :) If the pH of the new water is higher than that of the bucket (tank water) everything should be fine adding new fish to new water.

Ken

6. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

I think it would depend on how you are moving the tank. If you are just sliding the stand with the tank on it, draining 2/3 might make it light enough. But if you are going to pick it up to move it, I would say drain the whole tank because the amount of stress put on tank walls/pressure points would be huge on a 75 with that much water (and substrate), only being held in place by the plastic rim and some silicone... not to mention your backs!

7. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

I would suggest mot moving the tank with any water in it, especially a long tank. The weight can put strain on the middle (while you are carrying the ends). I had a brand new 4ft crack with maybe 1/4 water in it when we lifted it. I prefer to drain completely. I put my fish in a smany buckets/tubs as needed. Cover the tops if you have any jumpers.

8. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

I tested my tap water and it is exactly the same, the time from when they were in the new water to when the old water was added was about 5 minutes

9. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

I would get a bigger rubbermaid tub..about 20-30g If you do not have any jumpers in there those really long 4ft storage tupperware that you fit under beds are great too (i know overkill). Anyway if you have a hob filter you could probably up it on the tub to keep it running. Move the tank empty just to be on the safe side. Add plants to the tubs to reduce stress. dont forget to add a heater and perhaps an air bubbler to provide extra oxygen.

Best of luck, you know the rules..pictures!

10. OP
    OP
    A

Thank you for the replies, folks!

I will be starting this project here in about 2 hours or so. I will be moving the fish tank with my partner and one friend (3 in all) so the tank will have a little bit of water (enough for the fishes to swim a little). The tank will stay on top of the stand as it's being moved. It's only 6 feet or so from the other wall, thankfully.

The reason I'm doing this is that I will be putting my upgrade tank (150 Gallon to a 220 or so Gallon Fish Tank) in the same spot, so I wanted to test the floors BEFORE the new one was placed in the same exact spot. I will be selling the 75 Gallon Tank along with the custom made stand, etc. Hopefully that makes sense now. lol

Once I get the new tank, then I will use llfish's and Yeoy's (thank you) suggestion about the "tubs" and the filters being on them. During this big project it will take a lot more time, so the buckets/tubs suggestion would come in handy for sure.

11. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

keep your filters submerged in water while turned off and the good bacteria will be fine. i would ( and always do) put the fish in a seprate tank or container with old water and a heater. leaving them in the tank you are trying to move will cause undo stress that can be avoided. i would go get a rubber maid, food safe , container of about 20-30 gl to keep the fish in instead of the 10 gl. as long as you use a declor with the new water you should be fine. i normally over dose a little when changing that much water and i change 80-90 % daily with my Discus.

12. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

Before I was into fish keeping I help a friends buddy move a 125 gallon tank. We moved it from one Side of the basement to the other about 50 foot away. From what I remember the tank had like 25% of the water in it. There were 8 of us and he had those carpet slide things that he put under the tank once we lifted it. We did the tank and stand at the same time. The move went fairly well with no big issues.

13. OP
    OP
    A

Keep in mind, I'm only moving the tank (little by little, even if it takes 30 minutes or so) a small movement at a time to the wall opposite of where I have it now, which is only about 4-6 feet. If I were moving it to another room, I'd use the Rubbermaid Tubs to put the fishes in.

There will be three of us to help and one of the guys is an amateur wrestler... lol ... So I don't think we'll have any issues or sloshing water problems at all.

14. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If you leave 1/3 the water in the tank, it's still going to weigh more than 300 lbs.

My filters were off for 4 days after the hurricane. I've left a filter off (with the media wet) for 5 weeks and didn't lose the cycle. You aren't going to lose your cycle.

The bacteria colony is so much more resilient than most people give credit for. It's not a house of cards waiting to come down.

15. OP
    OP
    A

LoL!

I tend to agree. I think the bacteria will stay in place more than what some people might think, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to rock the boat on that specific part. Too, the only part of the decor that I'm leaving is the substrate (sand). Rocks, plants, etc, are coming out for the move.

16. JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

These help a bunch.  

They also make them for hard surfaces. I've pushed my 75g and stand with ease. I also moved a 46g 1/4 full into another room. Just push at a low point on the stand with steady pressure.

Good luck.

17. Jaysee

Gotta love moving men - makes moving things a one person job. Assuming you can lift the corners to get then underneath.

18. JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

I use a flat bar positioned horizontal to the floor and use like a piece of 3/4" wood as the fulcrum...Just position the end of the flat bar half way between / in the middle of the two corners of the stand. Very controlled method.  

19. Jaysee

Alex, tell your wrestler friend to stay home ;)

20. OP
    OP
    A

I got it all moved! And... I have pictures of before and after! :)

Pictures below:

1. Empty space where the 75 Gallon Fish Tank used to be.

View attachment 102082

2. Where the 75 Gallon Fish Tank used to be and where it is now used to be where the desk was.

View attachment 102085

3. The 75 Gallon Fish Tank, where it is now.

View attachment 102086
    View attachment 102087
    View attachment 102088
    View attachment 102089

I'm glad it's all done (for now)! Next - The upgrade, 180 or 220 Gallon! YAY, Fun Fun! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice