Moving a Ghost Knife

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Rohks, Jan 8, 2013.

1. RohksNew MemberMember

Greetings,

I'm in the process of setting up a new much bigger tank for my fish. I started cycling the new tank today using filter media from the old tank. Most of my fish I will have no issues moving, but I have a Black Ghost Knife that is close to 14" at the moment, and I have no idea how to make the move. Both tanks are in the same house, although different rooms, so i'm not going far, but I certainly do not have a net big enough. I've done some searching and a few topics i've read have said to use two nets, or a big net for the head and soft towel for the tail. I would greatly appreciate any input so I can do this in the safest way possible.

2. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

What about something like this?

3. Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

He won't let you pick him up?

A pic would be awesome! Mine is about 7"

4. RohksNew MemberMember

When I first got him, and while he was still <8" or so, he would curl up in my hand if I fed him shrimp. Now that he is much bigger, he acts more like a grumpy cat. If he's been fed, and he is in a good mood, I might be able to pet him with one finger. If he sees the other hand anywhere nearby he bolts. I might be able to net his head to keep him still and pick the rest of him up, but I'm not sure if that's the best method. Or it might be, I'm still kind of a newbie.

I'll post a picture up shortly once the sun goes down and he comes out of his cave.

5. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Yeah, a pic would be awesome! You just don't see too many that big.

6. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

I too am awaiting anxiously for a pic! My husband is crazy about knife fishes and our next tank is going to be a knife fish setup.

7. Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

Also - I'm curious how long it's taken yours to get this big. I've had mine probably 4 months actually - probably 6 or 7

8. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

I think a cloth pocket might be your best bet for one of these guys. A very smooth piece of cloth like silk or such, folded into a pocket and used to catch the fish, the smooth material should be easy on the fish and help support its entire body when it is out of the water.

9. Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

Yeh, that sounds like the best idea to me

10. matsungitWell Known MemberMember

2 inch PVC pipe?

11. RohksNew MemberMember

My apologies for the low light/quality. I got home late and he really didn't feel like posing for me. As you can see, he definitely needs the bigger tank.

12. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

Wow he's a big guy! Beautiful.

13. grfresconeroValued MemberMember

I got a 12 inch arowona that i hand feed,so it`s easy to pic him up, if i can do that then i use a two liter coke bottle see through PVC and i coral him in there. PS. cut of the top! ,other wise use a large net such as mentioned by JKS. Nice Knife.How old?

14. llfishWell Known MemberMember

Wow Arowonas get about 3 and a half feet That will be quite a site to see! Is your profile right..is he in a 80 litre? isnt that like 20gallons?

15. RohksNew MemberMember

I really like the coke bottle idea, I'll give that a shot in the next few days when I'm confident the new tank is stable.

I've had the knife for a little over two years now. When I picked him up he was only 3 or 4". They grow fast, especially considering how small the tank was compared to what I should be keeping him in.

16. grfresconeroValued MemberMember

Yes, but only for the winter .Come summer he will go into a pond 1000lt=450g that i am setting up.

17. matsungitWell Known MemberMember

Be careful of the cut up Coke bottle. The edge could be sharp enough to scrape/cut them.

18. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

can you use a big net? not like the normal aquarium nets. i mean like a free net like they use to catch fish in the wild, just not as big?

19. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Super sensitive fish, the big nets are normally less then ideal for a fish like that, i don't even like using them when fishing unless i can get a fine mesh one. That would work though.

20. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

there has to be a fine mesh net somewhere that would work. i was thinking bout using something like that to catch all my fish when i move. the yoyo loaches can be a pain to catch, figured dragging a net along the bottom would be much easier.