Moving a betta from the US to the UK

1. A

Apples and Snails New Member Member

Hi everyone! I am moving from the US to the UK in 1.5 months, and I really, really want to take my beloved betta splenden, Luna. I'm pretty sure it is legally possible, but I can't figure what transportation method is allowed. Could she go on the plane (I'm flying with United)? Do I ship her (and would that even be safe for her)? I appreciate any advice

2. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

You would have to ship her, considering you can't have a certain amount of liquids on a plane. I would contact a transhipper in the UK and ask what would be necessary to transport her to the UK.

3. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

possible to do either, but id call the airport first and see if there's away to make her a carry on, make sure they know shes small.

some airports will allow liquids in special situations, better check that.

4. H

HuliJing New Member Member

Not sure what UK's laws are, but they probably have importation laws just like US. I've bought many bettas from overseas and in order to import any living thing, you need to have a license to do so. It's their way of regulating invasive species and disease that could decimate native populations. When I import bettas, because I don't have a license, I need to use a transhipper. They're a middle man that has a lisence and can pick the animal up for you and ship it to your address. When bettas are shipped to me they are in a plastic bag, double bagged. They'll ship them in a styrofoam box with crumpled balls of newspaper to keep them secure and in place. Don't know what the weather is like where you live or where your moving to but you will want to consider a hot or cold pack depending on the weather. Do whatever will keep the water temp as close to what she's use to. I believe you also have to have a license to ship them out of the country as well, so you'll probably need 2 transhippers. One in the US to ship and one in the UK to pick up. My favorite transhipper in the US in Julie Tran. The only UK transhipper I know of is Lisa Bradshaw. You could contact them and ask what you need to do and if you need to use a transhipper at all. Julie can be quite busy and doesn't usually answer phone calls so you might wanna contact another transhipper for questions. Also contact the airlines to ask them if you could check her as baggage. Probably won't let you take her as a carry on due to too much liquid and she's not a service animal.

http://thaphrabettasnextshipment.blogspot.com/2013/03/transhipper-list-and-shipment-date.html?m=1

5. OP
    OP
    A

Apples and Snails New Member Member

Thank you everyone!