Moving a 90g setup with fish, come watch! - Page 2

BadisBadis
They are mainly on pellets (sera and spectrum, ingredients and nutrition are great) but I do feed PE mysis, brine shrimp etc. Even my bird wrasse will pick at the seaweed!

BadisBadis
Got some supplies today to improve my tanks water quality and biological filtration. Really excited to use the bioblocks! Im not seeding them, they'll do their thing eventually. My tank water has already improved from the purigen and chemi pure. And some huge bags of filter floss.
Also a MAJOR update, soooo we had to put a column in our basement to help support the floor/weight of the tank. O.O it was sagging the floor in one corner specifically (the corner closest to our chimney vent since it intersects a main floor beam and is weaker) it was in no danger of collapsing but overtime its damaging to the floor. So we feel much better about it now lol
Bio blocks are in and are receiving excellent water flow. But.... I also dropped my cell phone in the sump cause I was using it as a flash light WHOOOPS
I also need to figure out a way to add floss over the Eflux basket. A lot of junk settles at the bottom and then it sturs up and gets sucked out into the tank. For now I just have a piece of floss loosely flopped over it. It helps a little but would be better if it was a tight fitting sock

BadisBadis
Well we rehomed the Hippo Tang. He was too big for the tank (personally I would have not bought a hippo for a 90 but to each their own) and he was getting aggressive with the other fish, it was really impacting the bioload too. The other fishstore is taking the maroon clown since he is nasty too (again not a fish I would have ever chosen to buy)
My husband said I could get another fish I wanted as a Christmas present... cant ship fish right now otherwise I would have bought on the divers den.
I have thought about a few smaller ones that would he a neat addition (a jawfish, maybe an alage blenny) something that would hide in the rockwork
All my fish are super peaceful even the bird wrasse so it absolutely cannot be aggressive. Open to any ideas too

BadisBadis
Not a big update, just gettin our diatoms on
Which means the tank is cycling great. At this ugly stage until it finishes I'm so glad I dont have corals or anything lol. I remember when my rock was all white in the beginning! It was sunbleached previously to help control the algae but that also meant the rock work was taken apart a lot and just put back in a pile not allowing for caves or anything. I'm letting the algae grow on the rocks. Its ugly but its more natural looking? I could always take it out and clean it if it gets too bad. (Perks of a fowlr system with plain baserock)
Also here's the fish I'm considering getting ..... I REALLY want it. But its freezing temps here. Uggg

BadisBadis
So I just tested the nitrates....and they are at over 250ppms
I used the high range dilution test on my red sea kit and omg its awful to look at. Fish are all happy.
But I am doing a LARGE water now and then on Tues. I ordered some drawstring socks for the spray bar on the sump. That hippo tang really pooped up the tank. I'll be feeding the fish slightly less. I dont overfeed but ill tone it back a smidge. I'm sure the bio balls cause a bit of nitrates. But I cant really change those out. I'll just have to keep doing water changes and add some more Xport blocks, maybe dose with vinegar. I'll have a lot of searching to do on the forums but no new fish for a long time

Fishproblem
BadisBadis said:
Not a big update, just gettin our diatoms on
Which means the tank is cycling great. At this ugly stage until it finishes I'm so glad I dont have corals or anything lol. I remember when my rock was all white in the beginning! It was sunbleached previously to help control the algae but that also meant the rock work was taken apart a lot and just put back in a pile not allowing for caves or anything. I'm letting the algae grow on the rocks. Its ugly but its more natural looking? I could always take it out and clean it if it gets too bad. (Perks of a fowlr system with plain baserock)
Also here's the fish I'm considering getting ..... I REALLY want it. But its freezing temps here. Uggg
I like the au naturale look! I bet the fish appreciate it too. And you will when the ugly brown phase is over lol

BadisBadis said:
So I just tested the nitrates....and they are at over 250ppms
I used the high range dilution test on my red sea kit and omg its awful to look at. Fish are all happy.
But I am doing a LARGE water now and then on Tues. I ordered some drawstring socks for the spray bar on the sump. That hippo tang really pooped up the tank. I'll be feeding the fish slightly less. I dont overfeed but ill tone it back a smidge. I'm sure the bio balls cause a bit of nitrates. But I cant really change those out. I'll just have to keep doing water changes and add some more Xport blocks, maybe dose with vinegar. I'll have a lot of searching to do on the forums but no new fish for a long time
Whoa! That's wild. Did the tank not hold its cycle at all when you moved it?

BadisBadis
Fishproblem said:
I like the au naturale look! I bet the fish appreciate it too. And you will when the ugly brown phase is over lol

Whoa! That's wild. Did the tank not hold its cycle at all when you moved it?
It kinda did but moving such a big tank some stuff was disturbed and it couldn't be helped, it went through a very small cycle when I moved it, ammonia never crept above .5ppms. Also the bioload the guy had for that tank was so high and the filter couldn't really support it. We JUST got rid of the hippo tang and he was a big contributor to a lot of waste. I feel like with a few adjustments it should be okay. But it'll take a lot of water changes and over time making the sump more bio efficient. I've decided to order some chaeto for my sump to help. I've heard that stuff sucks up nitrates like crazy.

Fishproblem
BadisBadis said:
It kinda did but moving such a big tank some stuff was disturbed and it couldn't be helped, it went through a very small cycle when I moved it, ammonia never crept above .5ppms. Also the bioload the guy had for that tank was so high and the filter couldn't really support it. We JUST got rid of the hippo tang and he was a big contributor to a lot of waste. I feel like with a few adjustments it should be okay. But it'll take a lot of water changes and over time making the sump more bio efficient. I've decided to order some chaeto for my sump to help. I've heard that stuff sucks up nitrates like crazy.
Aw yeah, I remember that the parameters were lowkey insane when you first got the tank. I've heard awesome things about chaeto! If any of my experience with fast growing plants in freshwater is applicable to macroalgae as nutrient export, I bet it'll do a lot for your nirate levels. I've got a fallback plan for a diy chaeto reactor for my pico, if I end up needing it.

BadisBadis
Fishproblem said:
Aw yeah, I remember that the parameters were lowkey insane when you first got the tank. I've heard awesome things about chaeto! If any of my experience with fast growing plants in freshwater is applicable to macroalgae as nutrient export, I bet it'll do a lot for your nirate levels. I've got a fallback plan for a diy chaeto reactor for my pico, if I end up needing it.
Okay I'll admit I did ask on my other regular SW forum lol I have a much clearer picture on my course of action now. Which is kinda what I had in mind.
Long term, adding a bio pellet reactor and skimmer. I plan to keep a high bioload and need something to effectively help with that. (Compared to dosing with vinegar, vodka) reactor would get turned off once nitrates dropped
Lots of water changes. Maybe 2x a week or at least 1x a week for now.
Short term solution: chaeto in the sump with the extra fluval smart led i have laying around. The biopellets can take a month or so to start working.
High nitrates are not going to kill my fish, but other yucky things can happen and I dont want it to get out of control.
Also someone posted about making a tube with holes in it and a filter sock filled with elemental sulfer beads. He said it reduced nitrates down to 5ppms in a few weeks. I'm highly curious. As far as I know that's short term and a quick solution but definitely need more looking into.

BadisBadis
Merry Christmas to me? Let's just say my eyes are bleeding from reading a mass amount of information today. I'm a complete novice when it comes to dosing, reactors, etc. After all that info I decided to go with a AquaMaxx Omega 1 bio pellet reactor for long term high bioload control along with a reef octopus classic 150sss. I've read the pros and cons of everything. Its overwhelming the opinions of everyone. But good info.
I am actually going to be dosing with sugar first to get the nitrates down instead of doing chaeto in the sump. This is a short term solution as bio pellets if adjusted properly will provide nitrate control long term.
Either way, the aquamaxx was inexpensive if I dont need it or can return it where as with sugar dosing I still need a skimmer.
BadisBadis said:
Merry Christmas to me? Let's just say my eyes are bleeding from reading a mass amount of information today. I'm a complete novice when it comes to dosing, reactors, etc. After all that info I decided to go with a AquaMaxx Omega 1 bio pellet reactor for long term high bioload control along with a reef octopus classic 150sss. I've read the pros and cons of everything. Its overwhelming the opinions of everyone. But good info.
I am actually going to be dosing with sugar first to get the nitrates down instead of doing chaeto in the sump. This is a short term solution as bio pellets if adjusted properly will provide nitrate control long term.
Either way, the aquamaxx was inexpensive if I dont need it or can return it where as with sugar dosing I still need a skimmer.
I will also mention that carbon dosing can have its negative side effects since it depleats oxygen (but I also plan to run a bubbler in the sump with skimmer while dosing sugar) so reactor is definitely healthier long term. Sugar dosing can also burn corals but luckily i don't have those

Fishproblem
BadisBadis said:
Okay I'll admit I did ask on my other regular SW forum lol I have a much clearer picture on my course of action now. Which is kinda what I had in mind.
Long term, adding a bio pellet reactor and skimmer. I plan to keep a high bioload and need something to effectively help with that. (Compared to dosing with vinegar, vodka) reactor would get turned off once nitrates dropped
Lots of water changes. Maybe 2x a week or at least 1x a week for now.
Short term solution: chaeto in the sump with the extra fluval smart led i have laying around. The biopellets can take a month or so to start working.
High nitrates are not going to kill my fish, but other yucky things can happen and I dont want it to get out of control.
Also someone posted about making a tube with holes in it and a filter sock filled with elemental sulfer beads. He said it reduced nitrates down to 5ppms in a few weeks. I'm highly curious. As far as I know that's short term and a quick solution but definitely need more looking into.
Sounds like a great plan! I've been reading a lot lately about high nitrates and their effects in freshwater, but I need to learn more about the same in saltwater. I'm excited to see how it all works for you.

BadisBadis
Christmas came early! My biopellet reactor came today! Can't wait to set it up! The pump actually includes something to adjust flow so I won't have to mod it. Cant set it up until my protein skimmer comes in next week.

BadisBadis
I got my skimmer today! its a beast lol
Wow, when you measure stuff and read the dimensions it never feels the same as looking at the actual product. I hope to God this and the reactor fit inside the sump with my eflux pump. O_O. Im putting it in now. I MAY need a bigger sump...
Also on another note to help with the detritus in the sump I tried a drawstring filter sock on the spray bar and it isn't working well
Forgot to post the picture lol
It fits!!!!
20201228_190623.jpg

So I had to get a little creative. Good news is the reactor AND skimmer and pump all fit! Bad news...the pump for the reactor doesn't fit and I will have to add an elbow fitting to the input and attach the pump next to the skimmer. Its a TIGHT squeeze but it'll fit in there somewhere . There is just enough room for the return pump to the tank.
The blue is the fitting ill have to attach to the reactor to the pump. Red arrow is the output of the reactor which lines up directly with the skimmer intake which is awesome.

20201228_191100.jpg

I had to put the heater under the compartment of the bioballs lol its weird but w/e it works.
I just cant believe how much of a tight fit it is hahah

20201228_185708.jpg

BadisBadis
I redid some of my rock today on the left side. I had 2 pieces that I has been saving for years to use and really wanted to use them. Not entirely happy with it but I think it looks a bit cooler than before. I wanted to make the tank not seem so empty. The hawkfish loves the rock with the arch at the bottom of it and the bird wrasse is slowly checking out the left side of the tank now haha
I cant wait to get some new fish, sad I can't get any cause of my nitrates
Also I'm going to be reducing the crushed coral to help with the nitrates

BadisBadis
Phase 1 complete of crushed coral removal.
Not completely as I am keeping it but just reducing to make it easier to vacuum to help keep the nitrates down. Been reading a ton everywhere and I've researched it before but not enough. Crushed coral is good for a fowlr tank only if you can keep it vacuumed and maintained. Honestly I would have gone with a deep sand bed but not ready to go down that road right now, maybe not ever if I can keep the nitrates down with my reactor and regular vacuuming.
So I took out about ¼ of a 5g bucket and there was so much gunk in the tank it was gross. Doing a water change tomorrow.
My skimmer is working well! I am feeling pretty good that I am getting this tank and equipment working its absolute best rather than just "good enough" I will be taking out more substrate later in the week. You can tell where I have reduced it lol

Rcslade124
Looks good. Coming along nicely. I see the skimmer looks a little wet. It's not a bad thing. From my research wet skim is good at removing more nutrients so keep it up. I personally run a dry thick black skim. I'm glad the tank is moving along for you! Keep up the hard work it will pay off. My tank is slowly moving towards one year. I think it's close to 8 or 9 months. It's definitely a struggle still.

BadisBadis
Rcslade124 said:
Looks good. Coming along nicely. I see the skimmer looks a little wet. It's not a bad thing. From my research wet skim is good at removing more nutrients so keep it up. I personally run a dry thick black skim. I'm glad the tank is moving along for you! Keep up the hard work it will pay off. My tank is slowly moving towards one year. I think it's close to 8 or 9 months. It's definitely a struggle still.
Yes I have it more wet than what a lot run it, like you said, its removing just a tad more since the tanks a little nasty right now (even though its been the Clearest/cleanest!)
I remember seeing the water at the guys house before moving the tank, it was yellow and smelly and gross. But now my water is crystal clear and doesn't smell as bad. The fish lived for so many years and did fine but just the way it was setup was just good enough. I want this tank running at its maximum capacity for healthiness! I swear my bird wrasses color looks amazing now. I cant wait to see where the tank is in a year even though I don't have corals and its boring lol

BadisBadis
Well my light fixture finally crapped.
Its a basic Current freshwater model and we've been having issues with the remote communicating to the light and finally it stopped working. Don't know how old it was (We tried all the fixes and still nothing)
Which is kinda good. I wanted a new light anyway lol the old one didn't have a timer option so you had to turn on/off any setting manually and didnt have a gradual sunset or sunrise.
Ordering a 48" Current marine Orbit

Rcslade124
Honestly if you plan corals I would buy a stronger light. The orbit marine is not the most powerful.

BadisBadis
Rcslade124 said:
Honestly if you plan corals I would buy a stronger light. The orbit marine is not the most powerful.
Thats why I got it. I do not plan to do corals at all

Fishproblem
BadisBadis said:
I got my skimmer today! its a beast lol
Wow, when you measure stuff and read the dimensions it never feels the same as looking at the actual product. I hope to God this and the reactor fit inside the sump with my eflux pump. O_O. Im putting it in now. I MAY need a bigger sump...
Also on another note to help with the detritus in the sump I tried a drawstring filter sock on the spray bar and it isn't working well
Forgot to post the picture lol
It fits!!!!
20201228_190623.jpg

So I had to get a little creative. Good news is the reactor AND skimmer and pump all fit! Bad news...the pump for the reactor doesn't fit and I will have to add an elbow fitting to the input and attach the pump next to the skimmer. Its a TIGHT squeeze but it'll fit in there somewhere . There is just enough room for the return pump to the tank.
The blue is the fitting ill have to attach to the reactor to the pump. Red arrow is the output of the reactor which lines up directly with the skimmer intake which is awesome.

20201228_191100.jpg

I had to put the heater under the compartment of the bioballs lol its weird but w/e it works.
I just cant believe how much of a tight fit it is hahah

20201228_185708.jpg
congrats on winning at sump tetris! and on the excuse for a new light. I'm having so much fun watching you get this tank to where it should be. The hawkfish is so handsome! I hope you're feeling satisfied with yourself, because the whole setup has clearly come so far already.

BadisBadis
Fishproblem said:
congrats on winning at sump tetris! and on the excuse for a new light. I'm having so much fun watching you get this tank to where it should be. The hawkfish is so handsome! I hope you're feeling satisfied with yourself, because the whole setup has clearly come so far already.
I'm so glad you are along for the journey! I LOVE watching tanks come together from scratch. (Even though mine wasn't scratch, more like a rescue/rehab lol) my husband doesnt care about my SW adventures so thank god for forums to share stuff on lol. I am super proud of what I have been able to do and my plans/goals to get this tank amazing. I CANNOT wait for the light to come in, I'm so excited!! It just shipped from marine depot. It's going to make the tank look not as ugly as the freshwater light did.
I cant wait to get more fish too. I really want an algae blenny and a few others.

BadisBadis
My new light came today! Yay! I haven't had time to fiddle with the custom settings yet, will do that later. But it sure makes the tank look pretty! Comparison pic old light on the bottom.
Also got to go to my local pet store and pick up a few things including a sera phosphate kit. Yeah. Its not pretty :confused: I'm still waiting for my tubing to come for my diy fit on the reactor and have to go to the hardware store to find a L tube that fits and probably make a custom fit.

Rcslade124
Yes I like the blue look better. I had my whites way down but I was afraid of starving the corals so it's back to 50% the blue. Looking good!

Fishproblem
BadisBadis said:
My new light came today! Yay! I haven't had time to fiddle with the custom settings yet, will do that later. But it sure makes the tank look pretty! Comparison pic old light on the bottom.
Also got to go to my local pet store and pick up a few things including a sera phosphate kit. Yeah. Its not pretty :confused: I'm still waiting for my tubing to come for my diy fit on the reactor and have to go to the hardware store to find a L tube that fits and probably make a custom fit.
Woo! Look at all those LEDs! And all that phosphate! lol

The light really does make the tank look so much better! It's not something I'd ever noticed in the pictures from before the swap, but the difference really is stark.

BadisBadis
Fishproblem said:
Woo! Look at all those LEDs! And all that phosphate! lol

The light really does make the tank look so much better! It's not something I'd ever noticed in the pictures from before the swap, but the difference really is stark.
Can't wait to get my reactor up and running, I cant wait to see lower numbers hopefully. Water changes just aren't helping any.
And I know right? The lighting really makes the difference, the old one was just for freshwater and while this one may be a tad overkill with no corals but idc it looks beautiful and I can program a timer on it. Lol makes the tank look a bit less ugly

BadisBadis
So I've had it with this jerk off. (First pic)
He was supposed to go with the tang but I couldn't catch him. Then yesterday he bit a hole in my wrasses bottom fin :mad: and today he started excavating near my new-er rock work and collapsed the top. So I had to go in there and redo it and I'm not totally happy with it so I fished him out finally and he's in jail until he can go to the pet store. Dude idk why anyone keeps single maroon clowns... they are so freaking nasty
Did a 25g water change and phase 2 of crushed gravel removal. Took out 15lbs. Still need to remove another 20lbs probably. Siphoned out a lot of nasty stuff in the substrate. No wonder my nitrates & phos are high. Still don't have my reactor running yet. Maybe I can go to the store tomorrow.
Little steps

Rcslade124
Yes I hear maroons are mean. But I found two beautiful maroon when I was getting fish after my move. So far both model citizens. The female is getting massive. Though I do have a 120g. 4x2 so just a little bigger than your tank. Keep up the work it will level out nutrients wise .

BadisBadis
Rcslade124 said:
Yes I hear maroons are mean. But I found two beautiful maroon when I was getting fish after my move. So far both model citizens. The female is getting massive. Though I do have a 120g. 4x2 so just a little bigger than your tank. Keep up the work it will level out nutrients wise .
You should see how big this Maroon is, massive fish and I do think they are better in pairs! A single clown is a nasty clown. How big is your little foxface? Hes so cute. I originally wanted a 120/custom tank around that size but when opportunity knocks, had to take the 90 deal.

Rcslade124
The foxface is still small maybe 3 or so inches. My maroon female is almost as big. The foxface is new so it has some growing up to do. The tang bullied it for a few days but they are calming down now

RayClem
I no longer keep saltwater tanks, but I loved having a maroon clown.. However, they are aggressive. They like having their own anemone as their residence and they will defend it vigorously. Sometimes they will accept a soft coral or even an artificial decoration as a substitute, but they need a place to call home.

BadisBadis
RayClem said:
I no longer keep saltwater tanks, but I loved having a maroon clown.. However, they are aggressive. They like having their own anemone as their residence and they will defend it vigorously. Sometimes they will accept a soft coral or even an artificial decoration as a substitute, but they need a place to call home.
Exactly, they do need a anemone or at least a mate. Since I got this tank from someone else he came with the tank (and the tank was also previously set up as a fowlr) and since I'm keeping it as a fowlr and can't have corals or inverts hes got to go. Definitely not suited for this type of setup

RayClem
BadisBadis said:
Exactly, they do need a anemone or at least a mate. Since I got this tank from someone else he came with the tank (and the tank was also previously set up as a fowlr) and since I'm keeping it as a fowlr and can't have corals or inverts hes got to go. Definitely not suited for this type of setup
You might try a fake anemone and see if he will adopt it.

BadisBadis
RayClem said:
You might try a fake anemone and see if he will adopt it.
No hes definitely going. Fake one will just get covered in algae and hes still going to attack my other fish. I'm not attached to him at all. He bit a hole in my 8" bird wrasse, hes definitely not staying lol

RayClem
BadisBadis said:
No hes definitely going. Fake one will just get covered in algae and hes still going to attack my other fish. I'm not attached to him at all. He bit a hole in my 8" bird wrasse, hes definitely not staying lol
Wow! Wrasses are pretty fast swimmers, so I cannot believe the Maroon caught him.

bettalover101
thats sad never had a saltwater but heard there hard to up keep but ive always wanted a little 10 gallon sw and have 1 sea horse in it.

BadisBadis
RayClem said:
Wow! Wrasses are pretty fast swimmers, so I cannot believe the Maroon caught him.
Seriously, this maroon is a nasty piece of work. LOL hopefully he'll go to a tank more appropriate for him. My wrasse is okay. But will permanently have a blemish, I'm annoyed Hes 7yrs old
bettalover101 said:
thats sad never had a saltwater but heard there hard to up keep but ive always wanted a little 10 gallon sw and have 1 sea horse in it.
They arent really hard to keep up if you know what you're doing. It may be way more time consuming, but esp a fish only tank, its not hard if your dealing with easy specimens. research/forums is your best friend for sw tanks. If you just dive in without knowing about parameters, nuisance alage, it can be very overwhelming
Seahorses are pretty difficult to keep, they do require a lot of specific care and can be very difficult to feed also but they are REALLY cool.
Its funny they tagged my post as inappropriate language, I didn't even type swear words lol just so y'all don't think I'm just potty mouthed over here xD

BadisBadis
I think my wrasse is courtshipping the hawkfish o.o
There's very little documentation of these behaviors of bird wrasses, or any other large wrasses. So I really an not 100% sure thats what it is but he was following him and doing it and that sure what it looks like lol. Thought you guys might like to see

BadisBadis
I *almost* got my AquaMaxx omega biopellet reactor going today. It was a huge ordeal and took about 2+ hours of being wedged under the cabinet. The original spot i had in mind wouldn't work with the hose (it kept kinking) no matter how many different lengths of hose i tried so I gave up and tried a different route. I went around my protein skimmer and put the pump on the other side of the reactor. It works! It fits!
However.....
Even though the pump has a dial for flow, on the lowest setting its still too fast and I think the tumble is too high for the pellets so I will have to add a ball valve.

Also the hose to the protein skimmer from the reactor outtake is kinked as well since I'm working with a very tight space so ill probably put in another elbow and line it up with the skimmer intake

BadisBadis
After about 80lbs of crushed coral removed and 25g water changes weekly with doing gravel vacs, my nitrates are down to 100ppms!!!! (This test is at a dilution rate) This seriously excites me. My biopellet reactor isn't even up and running yet so I believe that will help finish off the job, and be helpful when I get more fish. My bioload is quite low right now.
Speaking of fish...
So I have a plan for my next 3 fish. 1 is a starry blenny and the other 2 are a white tail bristletooth tang and a female wantanabei angelfish. Both those fish are probably going to cost me $700+.
I cannot afford to loose them. So I am making a plan for my QT tanks now. These fish will probably be added in the next 4 months. But getting the qt tanks up and running is probably going to take a month (establish bacteria on bio media for the hob filters) my plan of action to add these fish:
2 qt tanks: 1 smaller tank for copper/meds and my 29g for the rest of the 14 day non medicated qt.
Both equipped with hob filters with bioactive media thats been seeded by my main tank for months.
Barebottom with pvc and maybe a decoration
Both will have powerheads& a bubbler for aeration. Will have to get a hanna copper checker for this as well. It's going to be quite the ordeal but I can't afford to loose these fish or infect my others. They are wild caught coming from live aquaria.
I will also not buy them until it is no longer below freezing outside at night. It's been 5 at night and hardly reaches above 25 during the day. We have roughly 2 more months of this weather. YUCK.
I think I have a solid plan. I have all the tanks and equipment already from years of fishkeeping. Just need to invest in meds and some misc things.

BadisBadis
A little treat for the fishies today
We live by the ocean so seafood is pretty fresh around here. The fish devoured the little pieces I chopped up for them.

Fishproblem
BadisBadis said:
After about 80lbs of crushed coral removed and 25g water changes weekly with doing gravel vacs, my nitrates are down to 100ppms!!!! (This test is at a dilution rate) This seriously excites me. My biopellet reactor isn't even up and running yet so I believe that will help finish off the job, and be helpful when I get more fish. My bioload is quite low right now.
Speaking of fish...
So I have a plan for my next 3 fish. 1 is a starry blenny and the other 2 are a white tail bristletooth tang and a female wantanabei angelfish. Both those fish are probably going to cost me $700+.
I cannot afford to loose them. So I am making a plan for my QT tanks now. These fish will probably be added in the next 4 months. But getting the qt tanks up and running is probably going to take a month (establish bacteria on bio media for the hob filters) my plan of action to add these fish:
2 qt tanks: 1 smaller tank for copper/meds and my 29g for the rest of the 14 day non medicated qt.
Both equipped with hob filters with bioactive media thats been seeded by my main tank for months.
Barebottom with pvc and maybe a decoration
Both will have powerheads& a bubbler for aeration. Will have to get a hanna copper checker for this as well. It's going to be quite the ordeal but I can't afford to loose these fish or infect my others. They are wild caught coming from live aquaria.
I will also not buy them until it is no longer below freezing outside at night. It's been 5 at night and hardly reaches above 25 during the day. We have roughly 2 more months of this weather. YUCK.
I think I have a solid plan. I have all the tanks and equipment already from years of fishkeeping. Just need to invest in meds and some misc things.
Wow!! Congrats on getting the nitrates down, and I am seriously so excited to see the new fish as you stock them, and follow along for the QT process! That said, uhhh... wanna give me some of those nitrates? Mine are undetectable and while my zoas aren't loving it, the dinos sure are. c:

BadisBadis
Fishproblem said:
Wow!! Congrats on getting the nitrates down, and I am seriously so excited to see the new fish as you stock them, and follow along for the QT process! That said, uhhh... wanna give me some of those nitrates? Mine are undetectable and while my zoas aren't loving it, the dinos sure are. c:¹
I am seriously so excited about the nitrates...because unfortunately my poor Foxface developed HLLE during the nitrate spike. I am on the verge of putting him into my 29g Q to treat him for bacterial after effects. (I'll post some pics in another post) I WISH I could give you some small tanks are so hard. That sucks you have dinos, can you dose nitrate?
I'm doing another w/c tomorrow. By the time I get the new fish in my nitrates should be down a bit more suitable range. On the other sw forum I've littlerly read about 65 pages of QT process and medications.

BadisBadis
Wanted to do a little informative update my foxface has recently developed HLLE.

VideoCapture_20210212-121148.jpg

VideoCapture_20210212-132408.jpg

Now I have had professional advice from 3 experts that has finalized my conclusion on my fish's condition. I scoured the internet, forums, anything to figure out what was wrong with my fish. He started developing these holes (which are symmetrical) slightly tattered fins and some lesions on his tail. Now HLLE I found effects foxface a bit different than other fish such as tangs and while HLLE has MANY causes I was having trouble pinpointing the cause. So it's nothing I am really doing wrong. The high nitrate spike + moving and going through a mini cycle put a lot of stress on him. Now I just found out he is 12 years old!
For those that don't know, that is INCREDIBLY old for a foxface. Hes pretty much at the end of his life. Their life span can range from 5-8-12. The marine biologist who took care of the tank prior and my old manager I used to work for (at the fish store) agreed its HLLE. The marine biologist also said that a few years ago he started to get skinny she noticed. So this has been an ongoing issue.
They both recommend different treatments in a Q tank if I wish. but honestly, he's not doing too bad, I'm keeping an eye on his issues. I also ordered Selcon.

20210216_152951.jpg
I feed very well but maybe he needs a boost. Selcon is supposed to help with HLLE and its something I think every tank should feed anyway, regardless. So we'll see where it takes us along with my nitrate reduction plan. In short he's old and got stressed. (Story of my life lol)
Tank is cycling beautifully. I am just now starting to get green algae and it's actually pretty? Lol compared to the brown/red stuff so I'm excited to see the tanks progression on cycling since the transport.

20210216_152530.jpg

20210216_152505.jpg

Doing a big water change and algae scraping, it appears so fast.
I also have my QT meds on the way and setting that up soon

Fishproblem
BadisBadis said:
I am seriously so excited about the nitrates...because unfortunately my poor Foxface developed HLLE during the nitrate spike. I am on the verge of putting him into my 29g Q to treat him for bacterial after effects. (I'll post some pics in another post) I WISH I could give you some small tanks are so hard. That sucks you have dinos, can you dose nitrate?
I'm doing another w/c tomorrow. By the time I get the new fish in my nitrates should be down a bit more suitable range. On the other sw forum I've littlerly read about 65 pages of QT process and medications.
Aw man, that's the worst! Though it sounds like you've got all the information you need to give him the best care. Incredible that he's 12!
(also, I can dose nitrate! gonna start dosing that and phosphate as well this week.)

Yay green algae!! It really does look nice, especially compared to the other stuff

BadisBadis
So I ordered a starry blenny from the LFS and it took 3 weeks to come in. But I picked him up last night and well I knew it was going to be iffy because of the wrasse but I thought I would give it a try. (He wasn't expensive and I really wanted an algae eating blenny since I can't have snails) WELL the wrasse tried to eat him as soon as I put him in the tank
He found a nice little cave to hide in but I don't think he'll ever come out. That wrasse has been eyeing him all day seeing if he could get him from the cave. No way I can catch the blenny now. What a bummer, so either he's going to live in the cave forever and find a way to survive and I'll never see him or the wrasse will eat him.
This is why I hate predatory fish lol I love the wrasse and he would probably have been fine if they were raised together or the wrasse was smaller.

BadisBadis
HAH. I spoke too soon. My algae blenny is just fine he hid for a few days and the wrasse forgot about him and no longer sees him as food. He's been active and exploring the tank and eating a TON of algae. Soooo much, it's awesome. He hasn't taken any frozen food or pellets but probably because he's getting all he needs from the abundance of algae. I love seeing his little grazing marks everywhere.

BadisBadis
My starry blenny has made artwork along the back wall lol figured you guys would enjoy the pic!
Finally got my AquaMaxx omega biopellet reactor up and running. Now just waiting a month to see progress/add more pellets and if I'm not mistaken I believe my nitrates are around 50 or 60ppms now! It wasn't *quite* the darker shade of purple (test is at dilution rate) so the 10 ppms are actually 50) my phos is 1.0. almost no nasty junk comes out of the gravel now. A huge improvement I am so happy with the changes I have made. Algae galore though. My foxface with HLLE is doing okay. It is what it is and he doesn't appear to be getting rapidly worse.

BadisBadis
QT 29g almost setup. I have a fluval 306 canister filter that isn't being used, just waiting for a spare hose to come in today and can get it up and running! Will put another 20g next to it on the floor for the 2nd part of the qt. When we are done QT our new fish (white tail bristletooth tang and watanabei angelfish) then it will become a tank for a couple oriental goldfish since our sunroom isn't heated too warmly in the winter.

BadisBadis
Just a little update for those who may be following or check back! ^_^ I feel this has turned into my personal reef blog xD
Tank is doing great, been keeping up with w/c and the nitrates are down to 20ppms!!! YAY!! success!! I have had the biopellet reactor running for a month now I added about 1/4 cup more pellets. My phosphates are still kinda high, so I have LOTS of algae growth but I keep up with it.
My starry blenny now eats pellets and is super personable, he has no issues with the wrasse now its great. My wrasse has a little tumor/mass on his nose. He's had it since I got him but it's getting a little bigger. He is like...12 years old and well we all know it happens to all forms of life. Dogs, cats, fish, birds, can get masses when in their older years.
I also decided to place an order with DR. Reef. I've spent a LOT of money this year. Having him qt my fish for me is actually less expensive than what I was going to get them for at liveaquaria. So I ordered my dream fish, a red sea regal angelfish. One of the smaller angels that will be able to go into my tank and a whitetail bristletooth tang. I have to call to see if they are in stock, if they aren't it'll be a month to 2 months and then another 5 weeks in qt. But it'll be worth it. I can put them in my tank right away, no stress, no medication, no qt tanks. Perfect. I can't wait to get my beautiful fish and not worry I am going to screw up medicating and kill my $400 fish lol

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom