Moving A 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nicole B, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Nicole B

Nicole B Valued Member Member

Hi everyone.
    Just wondering how we could move a 10 gallon tank without damaging it and without stressing our fish too much. Does anyone have any advice? It would just be to another room.

2. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

Drain it to a bucket or 2. dont move it with water in it. You might get lucky if you move it with water, or you might not. Not worth the compressive stress you put on the bottom glass.

3. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

The only safe way to move your aquarium is to drain it. A gallon of water weighs about 9 pounds, so 90 pounds pushing on a piece of glass plus subtrate and decor is too heavy. Drain the water into a bucket and put the fish in the bucket. Then move your aquarium.

4. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

What is the correct way to move fish and put them back in? We did it wrong the first time and I’m suprised they are even alive after all of it.

5. D

1. Fill the bucket with water
    2. net the fish
    3. put the fish in the bucket
    4. Move the tank
    5. put water back in the aquarium
    6. if you move fast enough and the water temp is the same, go ahead and just put your fish in the aquarium, if not, i would reaclimate

Also, use the same water so that you don't need to go through cycle again.

6. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Ok thanks!! What would you use to reaclimate them?

7. D

Reaclimating them is just bringing their body temp up to the aquariums water temp to avoid shock. You could use a bag and float technique, but i would just add aquarium water to to the bowel their in until it reads the same, doing so slowly to avoid shock

8. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Would snails be fine just left in the tank?

9. M

Mr.Mang09 Valued Member Member

Yea snails would be fine for a few minutes while you move the tank. My Nerite snails will go above the water line in my tank for hours on end.

10. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Ours do too! But just wanted to make sure!

11. FishMich

FishMich Valued Member Member

We just moved our 12 gallon tank from our living room to our bedroom. We just drained 2/3 of the tank and left all the fish in the tank. Between my husband and I it was really easy to carry.

12. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Would it be bad to put a tank in the kitchen? Or is the living room better?
    Also will our filter be fine shut off for awhile or will that ruin the B.B.?

Do we leave our rocks in it and decorations?

13. heybrittany

heybrittany Valued Member Member

I have a tank in my kitchen and I enjoy in there. I would maybe move the rocks out if they're a decent weight as to make it lighter and less stress on the bottom. And I'm pretty sure the filter will be fine for a little bit. You could keep the filter media wet in the bucket with your fish if you really wanted to though.

14. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

You can leave the rocks and decor in if its not to heavy for you. The filter should be fine. Depends if you have a stand for the tank. I dont suggest 10gallons on a kitchen counter if its old or granite and could crack. If its a stand who cares.

15. 1

123 Valued Member Member

I currently replaced my 8 gallon with 15 gallon. While handling the tanks I decided to be safe and take almost everything out. I first took most of water, fish, decorations and plants out. I used the gravel vacuum to clean the gravel good at this occasion. Then I also took out most of the gravel (maybe it would hold, but it seemed heavy to me and didnt want to risk it). I had the filter turned off the whole time but you could always turn it on in a bucket where you will have the fishes. This would also give you extra time to decorate the tank again, I tried to do all this under 40 mins in hope that the bacteria in filter would survive.

I think kitchen could be a nice place for tank as well. Just not in direct sun and maybe in a corner, or not very busy part of the room :) Also consider if the temperature doesnt change there a lot while you cook/bake ^^

16. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

We do have a stand! That would go in the kitchen. I am just afraid of our stand maybe falling on the carpet with the tank in living room but I’m sure that is unlikely.

Our only problem is we aren’t 100% cycled as our ammonia always stays between 0-.25 so I am worried moving our tank as it’s only been set up for a month and a half. Also our fish get stressed when we do water changes so I can’t imagine how they will be when we take them out to move it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018
  17. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Lol my brain just turned on, ive moved my 10gallons down stairs and upstairs this summer due to heat. So i took out my 4 betta fish (It was 10gallons side by side with dividers) The bettas sat in their cups. I took out like 3/4 of the water in a bucket set to the side and i put a heater in the bucket to keep it going. (It takes a while to move 2 10gallons and a huge stand down stairs cases :)) Then i took out all the decor and some gravel. Put it down stairs and put the decor in as well as gravel. Then added 3/4 of the water i took out. The tank was 4/5 full andi filled the rest with fresh water. I also added in the bettas by acclimating them for 10-15mins. Then released them and took a nap on the couch.

18. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubble Well Known Member Member

Personally, I wouldn't keep a fish tank in the kitchen because all of the cooking going on and oil, powder, and other bad stuff could easily get in.

19. 1

123 Valued Member Member

Well, maybe a deep gravel cleaning and a partial water change could help also with the amonia :) I wish you best of luck moving it! :) It was so stressful for me ( I was moving and cleaning all of it alone).

20. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't do the kitchen cause we do cook fish to eat... :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice