Moving 75 Gallon Tank Across a Room - Any Advice?

redman77

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have to move my 75 gallon freshwater tank across the room, about 15 feet. My current plan is to completely empty the tank of water (but not of substrate), put floor sliders on the corners of the stand, and slide it across the room. Then set it back up.

Does anyone have any warnings or advice or tips, etc.? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Betta02

Reaction score
I recently had to move my 35 into another room. I got a 55 gallon plastic trashcan (new) and siphoned a lot of the water into that. I took everything out including the substrate, but put the same water back into my tank. Less buckets, and I felt it made it easier on my fish.

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you are moving it and draining water I would just do a 100% wc alll fresh water for the move

Morpheus1967

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Be extremely careful when you are putting the sliders under the cabinet. This is when you could rack the aquarium, by not lifting each corner equally. Do not lift one corner, put a slider under it, and then move to the next corner. If you can, lift an entire end at the same time, and place a slider under each corner. Then repeat for the other end.

OP
redman77

redman77

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Betta02 said:
I recently had to move my 35 into another room. I got a 55 gallon plastic trashcan (new) and siphoned a lot of the water into that. I took everything out including the substrate, but put the same water back into my tank. Less buckets, and I felt it made it easier on my fish.
Maybe a stupid quesiton, but how did you get the water from the trashcan back into the tank?

Rcslade124 said:
If you are moving it and draining water I would just do a 100% wc alll fresh water for the move
I would definitely prefer to do this, but would it cause any problems with beneficial bacteria, etc.?

Morpheus1967 said:
Be extremely careful when you are putting the sliders under the cabinet. This is when you could rack the aquarium, by not lifting each corner equally. Do not lift one corner, put a slider under it, and then move to the next corner. If you can, lift an entire end at the same time, and place a slider under each corner. Then repeat for the other end.
Thanks so much for this advice. I was planning on doing each corner individually.

Betta02

Reaction score
redman77 said:
Maybe a stupid quesiton, but how did you get the water from the trashcan back into the tank?
With a bucket. Lol.

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
redman77 said:
I would definitely prefer to do this, but would it cause any problems with beneficial bacteria, etc.?
Nope bacteria is in your filter. If you keep substrate you won't lose much at alll even of you get new substrate you should be just fine

I moved my fish to a new tank and just did 100% change minus a little to pour them back in

OP
redman77

redman77

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rcslade124 said:
Nope bacteria is in your filter. If you keep substrate you won't lose much at alll even of you get new substrate you should be just fine

I moved my fish to a new tank and just did 100% change minus a little to pour them back in
That's a good point. I fill my tank up straight from my tap and then add prime. Any concerns about the chlorine killing the bacteria before the prime does its work?

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
redman77 said:
That's a good point. I fill my tank up straight from my tap and then add prime. Any concerns about the chlorine killing the bacteria before the prime does its work?
Chlorine will not kill much if any. Just leave filter off until u get some water back in and dose with prime while it fills up. Main thing is to temp match current temp with new water.

New Threads