Moving 60 Gal Tank For Remodeling

1. E

Edeneyes New Member Member

Hello! We had a roof leak in our living room and need to move our 60 gal tank to another room while we have the ceiling repaired, room painted and new flooring installed. The whole process will take about a week to finish based on when the various contractors are scheduled. Looking for suggestions on the best way to accomplish this with minimal stress to the fish.

I've read several articles on best ways to move a large fish tank but most of them cover moving to a new home or room permanently. I'm mostly concerned with having to move the tank twice within a week - too much for the fish? How do we minimize this.

We are having flooring put in both our living room and family room on the same day so the tank will need to be moved to the playroom - not a place I'm comfortable leaving permanently, but could manage for awhile if it makes more sense to let it settle for awhile before moving again.

- We do have a spare 10g tank we can setup.
    - We need to move the tank a week before the floors get put in as the contractors need to do drywall repair and paint behind the tanks existing location

Has anyone moved a tank multiple times in a short period? Any suggestions for doing so?

Thanks!

We do have a spare 10 gal tank that we can setup if need be.

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

What kind of fish are they? Some are more sensitive to stress than others.

I had to do this with my 46, I kept my fish in a container with the filtration attached for the whole week Until I could find a permanent spot for the tank. Then I just placed them back in their tank.

3. OP
    OP
    E

Edeneyes New Member Member

Currently we have 2 Emerald Cory Catfish, 3 Red Wag Platy and 6 of the GloFish Tetras. They've been pretty hardy for us thus far.

So...I'm wondering if I setup the 10 gallon with water from their aquarium for the week if that would suffice. A little crowded of course but I could keep an eye on levels and do an extra water change...

4. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

I would say it’s possible but be sure to place a filter on it and do daily or bi-daily water changes while they’re in there.

5. Jellibeen

Jellibeen Valued Member Member

Last year we redid the floors in our home, which involved moving the 55 gallon tank. We emptied most of the water and kept the fish in buckets with heaters, airstones, and plants for a few days. You could buy a bucket and use that in addition to the 10 gallon to give the fish more space.