Moving 20g/plant Substrate

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by tgholland, Apr 10, 2017.

1. tgholland

tghollandNew MemberMember

Hello,

I am planning on moving my fish tank in the next couple of weeks. My move is about a 5 min drive from my current residence.

I have an idea of how I'm going to do it, but any tips from those who have actually done it successfully?

Also, I currently have a bag of ada aquasoil in my tank and I'm a little worried about moving it (considering it doesn't like to be disturbed much). Additionally, I'm not entirely sure if I like it that much, tough to maintain because it doesn't like to be bothered. Any ideas on how to move it if I end up keeping it, or another plant-friendly substrate to use that might be a little less low maintenance moving forward?

Thanks!

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Hello!

I had moved my 20 gallon freshwater angelfish tank and here is what I did/recommend: (as always, work a little quickly. To reduce stress, if you can manage to keep the aquarium water the same, it will be better for the fish)

•find a five gallon bucket that has a lid; this may vary depending on the number/size of your fish. If you can't find one, you can use one of those plastic totes that people use for storage. I had used a 5-gal Home Depot bucket. Additionally, when picking the container, pick the right plastic, look for the recycling triangle sign. There should be a number of it. #2 are the food safe ones and safe for aquariums. #4 and #5 are a close second if you cannot find a #2. Avoid #1: these are PET/PETE plastics that are for one time usages (like water bottles) and can seep with prolonged usage (better safe than sorry). I hardly see the #6-#7 in my area anyhow (there are 7 total numbers)

• fill up the bucket 3/4 of the way with aquarium water, or as much as you can carry and cover the fish with. The more the better. Don't fill too the top, there is a spillage possibility. Snap on the lid.

• drain as much water from the tank as necessary into another lidded bucket, so you can lift the tank. Alternatively, if you want to dump the extra water, that is ok too, but it might be less stressful for the fish to have their already established water when they get set up again.
    - side note: if you want to change your substrate, you can try seachem fluorite. It's a porous clay, and gravel like, but very good for plants. You can read more about it if your interested.
    - unfortunately, it will be somewhat inevitable of disturbing the soil. Sorry :(

• go ahead and take out any of your decorations as welll. You can pack them separately or in the bucket with the non-fish water. Up to you. As for heaters and filters (and because your drive is so close) I put them in ziploc bags to prevent spillage.

• move and transport! Be gentle with the fish tho. They'll probably be stressed.

• set up you aquarium again. (Deco, extra water, fish, water from fish bucket). Finally, leave you fish alone, it'll take some time for them to acclimate! After a day or so days, my angels swam around and ate like normal. They huddled in the corner for the first few hours. Check parameters and such, making adjustments as need be.

I hope this helps. Luckily for you, your drive is quite short. Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  3. notyocheezValued MemberMember

Everything above pretty much. When you move a tank, be sure to add some padding between the tank and the floor and brace it against a seat or something.That will dissipate the g forces felt while in the car. Sounds silly for a 5 minute drive, but better safe than sorry.

4. OP
    OP
    tgholland

tghollandNew MemberMember

thanks! I've started to plan things out for the quick move...

I've also been looking into the flourite. Would anyone, or you, recommend mixing it with just basic gravel? or some other substrate?

5. KinsKicks

Personally, I haven't mixed it with anything because I like it as is (texture, color,etc). But I imagine that if you wanted to mix it with some other similar substrate, like gravel, it wouldn't be that big of a problem. But if you were to mix it with something where there is a size difference, like sand, it may not actually "mix". So all in all, I don't think mixing it with something is all that big of a deal (someone feel free to chime in), it's more of an aesthetic thing.

6. BrandNew MemberMember

I just put two 15 lb bags of Flourite in my 20 gallon long aquarium. I really like the look of it, but the amount of washing it took prior to putting it in..... The stuff is really dirty. Each bag took about an hour of continuous rinsing with a hose. Next time I will use something else I think.

7. KinsKicks

Ya agree. But after all that washing, was worth it :p At least for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice