Moving 15 Hours With Fish Help

1. l

leonaricky New Member Member

In the fall, I am going to be moving down to Georgia from Massachusetts, and I have been googling and brainstorming the best plan to safely move my dear fish down there with me. I have a plan, but was hoping to present it to all of you for suggestions to improve it. Thanks in advance!! :)

My current (20 gallon) tank inhabitants are: 3 guppy, 2 neon tetra, 2 glowlight tetra, 3 phantom red tetra, 1 platy, 1 dwarf gourami, 4 cory catfish, and many large, thriving plants. I have an API master test kit for checking water quality.

In anticipation of the upcoming move I will not be adding any new fish between now and the move.

This is my current plan, if you have any ideas on how to improve it please let me know.

1. I will be doing the trip in one day (will have multiple drivers), with as few stops as possible to reduce temperature fluctuations.

2. I will have two sealable 5-gallon buckets ( ), each less than half full of water. I will cover buckets with blankets for insulation and darkness to reduce stress. I will fast the fish for 24-48 hours ahead of time to reduce waste output. I was thinking:

Bucket 1: 4 neon/glowlight tetra, 3 phatom red tetra, 1 dwarf gourami
    Bucket 2: 3 guppies, 1 platy, 4 cory cats

3. I will drill a small hole in each bucket lid, to insert an aerator connected to a battery powered air pump.

4. I will have a water heater set to 78 in each bucket.. will I be able to plug these into the car or are they too high of a voltage? Is this safe with there being only 2/2.5 gallons or so in each bucket? I will also keep the car at around 72 or 73 degrees. (Their tank is currently at 78)

5. I will have several addition sealed 5 gallon buckets containing more of the water from their tank (as I am not sure of the water quality where I will be moving, so would like to start with water I know is safe), and more with the gravel. I will be bringing filter (Marineland cannister) without changing media in hopes of preserving some of the good bacteria.

6. I will bag each plant with a small amount of water.

I am not worried about starting the tank back up in Georgia, I am pretty familiar with the nitrogen cycle so will be careful to monitor all levels with the API test kit upon arrival and tank set up.

Any thoughts on the moving plan? I'm trying to be as prepared as possible in hopes of keeping all my precious fish alive!

Note: I am emotionally attached to these fish and have worked really hard to get my tank as healthy as it is now... so rehoming them and buying new ones in Georgia is not an option for me :p

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

I would just bag the fish. You can ask your local petco/petsmart to give you some bags. Then you can get a styrofoam insulated box and take them like that. Basically how people ship fish. Then drip acclimate them to your new water.

The plants and your filter media can be placed in a bucket with a battery powered aerator.

3. OP
    OP
    l

leonaricky New Member Member

I looked into bagging using breather bags, but everywhere I read said one fish to a bag.. So that means 16 bags, which I'm assuming would not all fit at the bottom of one styrofoam cooler. Those things are big and I'm worried I would need at least two or three coolers (which would take up a ton of space in what I'm sure will be a full car), unless I stack the fish bags on top of each other! Which doesnt seem like a good idea to me XD I might be envisioning the wrong thing though.

4. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Maybe this link can help you?