Movie game

endlercollector

I have a situation where I remember movies better than my own life, but it does lead to lots of fun interaction with my daughter. She began watching feature-length films when she was 10 months old and would say "meemo" because she could not pronounce Nemo much less "anemone."

How to play:
I will start with a line from a movie and then the title. The next person will give a line from another movie and the title. The connection might be words or themes from the quote, the actor, a similarity to the title of another movie, the director, an in that scene, really anything as long as the next person can explain it.

This is a game where it's fun to be obvious or obscure; just remember that the rules of the site do not allow overtly colorful language and that one will have to find a way to express questionable quotes well without freaking out others and one's own self. It should move quickly and people can come and go as much as they want to at different times.

Here's the first one--I hope others find this as fun as my kid does!

Nemo!!! You're ... covered in germs! - Finding Nemo

Boeing250

Trust me,I'm the Doctor-Doctor who (I'm a huge fan of that show!!)

endlercollector

Trust me, I'm a doctor - Unbearable Lightness of Being

endlercollector

Hmm, is this game too scary or hard or are people just too busy?
poeticinjustices

poeticinjustices

Oh, EC, I am so bad at movies. I can quote like five of them.

It's like song association but with movies, right? Okay, fine

30 minutes pass...

I have seen the devil in my microscope, and I have chained him. - The Island of Dr. Moreau

(Just be glad I didn't pick Dr. Doolittle, the Eddie Murphy one).

endlercollector

Oh, EC, I am so bad at movies. I can quote like five of them.

It's like song association but with movies, right? Okay, fine

30 minutes pass...

I have seen the devil in my microscope, and I have chained him. - The Island of Dr. Moreau

(Just be glad I didn't pick Dr. Doolittle, the Eddie Murphy one).

You're getting it! Ooh, unexpected answer sends this is a new direction!

My daughter came up with an additional rule today to help out the overly cautious adults--it's ok to use the same movie 3 times in a row
Rivieraneo Mamajin ricmcc
Would you like to try this game out?

Unnecessary to read the following--it's a few rounds of the game as how my daughter and I played this afternoon. She thought it might help people get the hang of it:

Mami: “Nemo, you’re… covered in germs!” – Finding Nemo
kid: “Slugs!” – Flushed away
Mami: (singing) “Don’t worry, be happy!” – Flushed Away
Kid: “Call me Granny.” – Spirited Away
Mami: “He climbs to the highest bloody room in the tallest bloody tower, and what does he find? Some gender-confused wolf telling him that his princess has already married someone else!” – Shrek 2

ricmcc

I tend to like any movie that stars Douglas Fairbanks Sr. as a child star------------------rick

endlercollector

I tend to like any movie that stars Douglas Fairbanks Sr. as a child star------------------rick

Go ahead and choose one movie of his that has a conncection to @poeticinjustice's quote and/or movie. You can describe an if there's no exact quote--after all, he did a lot of silent movies

ricmcc

Salute, or 'Cheers for Anglophiles-rick

Rivieraneo

Surely, you can't be serious ? I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Machine11

That quote being from Flying High (or Airplane depending one where you live)
"Joey you ever been in a Turkish prison?"

endlercollector

Rivieraneo, Machine11

My kid just said, "No, no, no, no! They are breaking the rules!"

"quote/description of a shot if no dialogue" - "movie title"

You don't have to ask the next person to say the movie because we're not telling riddles. You're supposed to give a quote and the movie it's from in order to invite the next person to suggest a quote from a different movie that is somehow related.

endlercollector

My kid suggested this one to me : "You're a bad bunny!" (said in an airplane cockpit) - Hoodwinked

poeticinjustices

"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way." - Jessica Rabbit in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

I was so excited that I had such a fantastic response to this one EC.

I have to think harder for these quotes than my nursing classes.

Your kid needs an FL account so she can boss us around directly!

endlercollector

My kid responded without a moment's hesitation: "That poor Sketchie." - The Painting

(Note, this is from the English subtitles, original title is Le tableau.)
poeticinjustices

If you have some time ever to watch tv while in nursing school, I think you would like this film. It is streaming on Netflix now.

She tells me everyday about how she can hardly wait to be old enough to get her very own Fishlore account. Sigh. She's growing up too fast!

poeticinjustices

So she's way younger than me and has a more cultured movie repertoire.

I will certainly check out the film EC.

endlercollector

"Poor unfortunate souls
In pain, in need
This one longing to be thinner
That one wants to get the girl
And do I help them?
Yes, indeed
Those poor unfortunate souls" - The Little Mermaid

This one's my answer--I've been so busy that I couldn't come up with a response to my daughter's quote till this afternoon even though I've seen lots more movies than she has :0

hollie1505 lollipopkiller
Are you up for trying this game? ("C'mon, let's go and play" - Frozen) Oops, no, the last round is above--I just couldn't help but quote another movie.

poeticinjustices
She has seen more movies than most kids and adults mainly because selective mutism has really gotten in the way of social interaction. She would rather have spent more time playing with other children than getting too cultured (terrible, I just made her sound like a dairy product). Sigh.

poeticinjustices

"Just a cute little bundle... of trouble. Yeah, they scratch, pinch, pull ears... Aw, but shucks, any dog can take that. It's what they do to your happy home. Move it over, will ya, friend? Homewreckers, that's what they are!" Tramp in Lady and the Tramp (one my all-time absolute most favoritist Disney movies EVER. Along with Peter Pan.

EC, I forgot about the selective mutism. I feel a little guilty. Then you made the dairy product joke and, well, I may have laughed :\

endlercollector

"Aye, and they 're very expensive. You'll not be permitted to play with it." - Lady and the Tramp
poeticinjustices
I love that movie, too! I only knew the children's book that Disney published until my daughter was small and we got it on DVD.

Selective mutism is a blessing as well as a curse at our house. We have a lot of fun--it's just not easily shared with others

poeticinjustices

That was the part of the quote I was originally going to post I feel like I need to watch it, right now!

Since I brought it up...

"Peter Pan: Tinkerbell, I hereby banish you forever.
Tink: Please, not forever.
Peter Pan: Well, for a week then."

I always felt so terribly for Nana in this film, though.

endlercollector

My daughter's turn:
"Dobby, Dobby is free!" - Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets
poeticinjustices
My own response was "poor Nana!"
Anders247 Fishy Friends @Harbleondora AquaticBrandon
Would you like to try this game?

lollipopkiller

"Doby Oh, Doby I'll never forget thee" - anchorman 2 (sorry if I'm playing wrong dobby sounds like doby to me)

Anders247

Can't really think of anything, but just saying I will join this game.
Oh and, Harlebleondora, EC was trying to invite you to this game.

endlercollector

My daughter's response: "I won't let go. I promise." - Titanic

Funny thing is, she didn't see the movie, she just remembered what I told her about it. Now, why can't she remember to do her daily pooper scooper round, I don't know :0

lollipopkiller
Hilarious--that took the game in an unexpected direction! A movie we still have to see!

Anders247
Thanks for correcting Harlebleondora for me

poeticinjustices

That titanic scene that came after when Jack dies and she says "I'll never let go Jack" then pries his very dead, very frozen hand off of hers and plunks him into the water...I laughed so hard and so loud in the theater I got dirty looks from all of the crying people around me.

Okay.

"Carl: Let's play a game. It's called 'see who can be quiet the longest'.
Russell: Cool! My mom loves that game."
-Up

The connection is in the movie title. It's a reach but it made sense in my head.

Fishy Friends

Cheeseburger Eddy " You gotta always protect the McNuggets! - The Longest Yard

endlercollector

"They used their balls as weapons in a brave kamikaze attack." - Pom Poko

I know, I run the risk of being offensive. I first showed this animé to my daughter when she was 2 or so. When she went to Japan at age 4, she immediately recognized the statues of racoon dogs everywhere.

Cheeseburger Eddy " You gotta always protect the McNuggets! - The Longest Yard

Funny product placement there! I have to admit, I've only see the original. So many movies, so little time...

poeticinjustices
I also laughed really hard during that scene in Titanic when it first came out. It was worth seeing once, but I have to admit that I prefer the 1953 movie.

AquaticBrandon

Ohhh I'm gonna be bad at this lol. I'll try though

AquaticBrandon

Okay I'm gonna give it a shot.

"It's so fluffy!"

"Despicable me"

endlercollector

My daughter's response: "Freeze Gun!" - Despicable Me
AquaticBrandon
She immediately recognized your quote and described the unicorn/carnival scene as I couldn't quite place it

AquaticBrandon

Awe how adorable. I love this movie.

AquaticBrandon

"Mike wazowski!"

"Kitty"

"Monsters inc"

endlercollector

My daughter came back with, "Avada kedavra!" - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows, Part II (final scene with Voldemort)
AquaticBrandon
I did get at least to remind her of how the monsters are scared of the little girl. Have to rewatch Monsters, Inc. It's such a fun movie!

hollie1505

"There was two lobsters at the birth of Jesus Christ?"

Love Actually

CliCliW

"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!" - Life of Brian

There is a slightly explicit end to that but I'm not going to mention it for the sake of your daughter

hollie1505

"I will not have my fwiends widdiculed by the common solidewy!"

Life of Brian

endlercollector

What's this thing? "ROMANES EUNT DOMUS"? "People called Romanes they go the house?" - Life of Brian

CliCliW
I'm getting ready to show her Life of Brian as she just learned about the human reproductive system last year. The "ew" factor, however, has kept me from showing some classics to her thus far. She finds everyone so unattractive still, much to my relief

Oops, I only saw the lobsters quote when I posted for my daughter

Original post:

My daughter sings, "Under the sea. "– The little mermaid
hollie1505
The scenes with the little boy in Love Actually were the best in my opinion followed by the ones in various levels of Portuguese

hollie1505

I've always tried to teach you two things. The first, never let them see you bleed.

And the second?

Always have an escape plan.

The World Is Not Enough.

endlercollector He's so cute!! And Hugh Grant is very tasty

endlercollector

My turn, "Heeeeere's Brucie!" - Finding Nemo

My daughter started watching Finding Nemo at age 10 months, and I set a limit of once a day. She would sit and watch, focused the entire time, and demanded "Meeemo!" 50 days in a row before moving onto Spirited Away. We know almost every line and shot. Sigh.

hollie1505
I think Hugh Grant annoys me because he keeps using the same mannerisms in almost every movie he is in. It makes me feel like I'm watching the same movie over and over again. Robert Carlyle appeals to me as he has more range. Then there's the horror of watching anything by Woody Allen, where he gets a variety of people to play himself ad infinitum. AUGH!

hollie1505

"Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming!"

Finding Nemo.

endlercollector

I have the same problem with Cars and "vroom, vroom!" ... All day... Every day.

I love Robert Carlyle! Funny you should say that, I live in Full Monty land!

CliCliW

"You're going to need a bigger boat" - jaws

Full Monty land as in you love the film or you live in.... England? I think I'm too young to know Robert Carlisle... :-/

Sent from my C1505 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

hollie1505

"I'm so cold." "That's because we're cold blooded!"

Shark Tale.

I live in Sheffield, it's set here

AquaticBrandon

"Hakuna Matata"

"The Lion King"

One of my favorite movies!

hollie1505

"Take the second star to the right.."

Peter Pan.

endlercollector

A philosopher once asked, "Are we human because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are human?" - Stardust

I let my daughter watch this when she was only 4 after previewing it and realizing that she could handle it. She loved it from the get go. In a way, I treat everything as PG--meaning that as her parent, I have to look first to see if this particular kid is ready to watch it or not. I wouldn't be able to predict that for anyone else's child :0

A quick professorial explanation of the very cool spontaneous combustions thus far to encourage returning and new players to join in:

"Hakuna Matata"

"The Lion King"

One of my favorite movies!

��

connection to A Shark's Tale: self-acceptance/understanding nature but with joy

"Take the second star to the right.."

Peter Pan.

connection to Lion King: animals and nature / sense of history (prior lion kings) / stars

endlercollector

My husband, "May the force be with you. "– Star Wars

This was totally unexpected. My husband has been listening to us play for days :0

Then he told us not to expect another one out of him.

endlercollector

My daughter, "And this is where It got hit by a magical flying moron!" - stardust

Fishy Friends

"Luke....I am your father... Darth Vader - Star Wars

Anders247

"Never tell me the odds" Han Solo.

endlercollector

"Never tell me the odds" Han Solo.

- Star Wars (don't forget to give the movie

Fish friends and Anders247
I can't get on people for being exact because there's only one Star Wars movie--it's just been cut up into random pieces and repeated all over the place!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
5thgradeguppyraiser
38 39 40 41
Replies
Views
ryanr
18 19 20 21
Replies
Views
mgstein