Moved to dorm, How to Acclimate Pleco to higher Ph

bristlenoseplonk

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The title might not be the best to describe what I actually want to know but anyways -- I recently moved my fish into my dorm with me, and realized that the water here is super hard. The ph straight from the tap was around 8.8 if I remember correctly, so I tested the water from the bottle refillers in our drinking fountains and the ph was around 8.0. The tank is a 10 gallon and the only things in it are: a 2 y/o bristlenose pleco (yes I know a 10 gal is a bit small but it's a long story, complain if you want to hear it :)), 2 amazon sword plants, 3 marimos, and a bunch of java ferns that are slowly taking over the tank. Also I don't know if this messes with the ph, but I use flourish for the plants.
So my questions are
1) I've heard conflicting info, so is 8.0 ph safe in the first place?
2) Assuming it is, what's the best way to slowly acclimate him to the new ph? (ph right now is around 7.0 I believe)

Truckjohn

Reaction score
Test the actual water in your tank and you will see if the biological systems are naturally taking care of it by themselves.......

Here locally - I have to run a pH buffer due to the local water being *very* soft. My incoming water runs 7.5 but if I let the tank do it's thing - it will stay down around 6-6.3.... Too low for good nitrification... so I buffer it back up to 7.0.

I recently started adding crushed coral.. It works to bring my pH back up - but it's sssllllloooooowwww

OP
bristlenoseplonk

bristlenoseplonk

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think you misunderstood my question which is my bad because my title is terrible. I just moved to a new place and the water here is very hard at 8.0 ph. I want to know the safest way to incorporate this new hard water into my tank without harming my fish. The water currently in the aquarium is already around 7.0, but now I'm using a harder water source.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bristlenoseplonk said:
I think you misunderstood my question which is my bad because my title is terrible. I just moved to a new place and the water here is very hard at 8.0 ph. I want to know the safest way to incorporate this new hard water into my tank without harming my fish. The water currently in the aquarium is already around 7.0, but now I'm using a harder water source.
First, before you do any water acclimation, set some of the new water in a clean glass or ceramic cup and let it sit for 24 hours, covered with a paper towel (so nothing else gets in it). Then retest the pH. Some municipal water pH will drop in that time. It probably won't drop to 7 though so to slowly acclimate the fish, you'll want to change the pH no more than .4 points every 24 hours. Even slower would be better-You can do a 1 gallon water change daily for 3 days, 24 hours apart. Check the pH after every change to make sure it's rising but not more than a .4 point change. Increase the size of the water change by 1/2 gallon per day after that until the tank pH is at least 7.8 or .2 points from the source water pH. After that just resume your weekly water change routine.

flyin-lowe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
In my opinion just add the fish like you normally would and leave them be. 8.0 is not super high for those fish and it would be easier to let the fish acclimate to that ph then to try to keep the ph lowered all the time. I feel like your fish will do fine with that ph and you won't have to fight it....

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
flyin-lowe said:
In my opinion just add the fish like you normally would and leave them be. 8.0 is not super high for those fish and it would be easier to let the fish acclimate to that ph then to try to keep the ph lowered all the time. I feel like your fish will do fine with that ph and you won't have to fight it....
Read the whole thread, from the beginning...

New Threads