Moved fish to a new tank - help please

Jackkelly

Reaction score
I woke up this morning needing to move on of my dwarf gourami out of my 29 gallon. I have a 10 gallon that is not set up yet so it hasn’t gone through nitrogen cycle. I have two filter pads in my 29 gallon any recommendations on what to do ? I know this situation isn’t ideal but only option during corona

mrsP

Reaction score
If your 29 is cycled, take one of the filter pads and use it in 10 = instant cycle.

OP
J

Jackkelly

Reaction score
Should I carry over any of the water from the 29

mrsP

Reaction score
No, it doesn't do anything. BB lives on surfaces, specially in filter, but eventually also on all other surfaces too. Make sure you use dechlorinator before adding filter pad, so chlorine doesn't kill BB from filter pad. Also live plants are really good, since they use nitrites, nitrates and ammonia, and add oxygen. Just set up tank, add water and dechlorinator, make sure temp is right and put filter in and on. All done.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jackkelly said:
Should I carry over any of the water from the 29
I'd probably move some water over first so the fish is going into water that's the same it came from, even though the amount of beneficial bacteria in it is negligible. That way the shock of being moved will be less since it's going into the same water. Then top off both tanks, matching temperature as close as possible.

OP
J

Jackkelly

Reaction score
I just rehoused my dwarf gourami to a 10 gallon tank that I set up today. I used established filter media from the tank he was in and temperature and drip acclimated him with a cup for around 5 minutes. I would have done longer but he was freaking out in the bag and didn’t want to cause anymore stress to the fish. I shut off the tank lights when I put him in. The tank was bare and I knew he might like to hide so I added a moss ball and a decoration that he could move around. None of this situation is ideal, but how concerned should I be about him not making it?

Also any advice to help him survive would be appreciated.

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If the tank is cycled, and the temperature of the before and after tanks was roughly the same, and the water in the before and after tanks came from the same source, and the source water is dechlorinated, he will most likely be just fine. Let him be for a while and check on him in a few hours.

Just today, I accidentally dropped a juvenile CPD into my gross, murky water change bucket that was mostly suspended fish poop and was 5 degrees colder than the tank water. It took me a minute to find my net, but I got her out and put her back into the tank. She's totally fine and swimming with the others now.

New Threads