Move Tank Over

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by skar, Jun 18, 2019.

1. skar

skarWell Known MemberMember

Sooooo...
    I want to move the tank over about 4 feet from where it is right now.
    I don't want to remove the decor and everything inside.

I have tried to remove quite a bit of water 50%; but I can't budge it to even put felt pads underneath.

I was thinking of hiring a moving company which seems ridiculous but... that's where I'm at with it.

Any one else ?

Oh 75 gal btw

2. PeteStevers

PeteSteversWell Known MemberMember

You're talking about moving close to 400 lbs (including rock\aquarium\water\stand) after removing 50% of the water. I would suggest removing more water. 40 gallons weighs about 333 lbs where 20 gallons would weigh around 166 lbs. You could even keep some of the water in a larger container(s) to add it back once its moved where you want it if you are concerned about changing out that much water. You should then be able to lift it enough to add the sliders underneath.

3. OP
    OP
    skar

Thank you.
    Not so much worried about the water as what's in the water...
    Cherry shrimp, ram etc..

The water is definitely heavy.

4. PeteStevers

PeteSteversWell Known MemberMember

Definitely keep as much of the water as you can with RCS.

5. LyndaD

LyndaDValued MemberMember

Moving a tank with water in it is risky. Th sloshing of the water can put a lot of sudden pressure on the glass and seals. I've seen where people have moved tanks with just a few inches of water and ended up with leaks. Take as much water out as you can. If you can't get all fish and shrimp out, push the gravel to one side so you have a bare bottom 'pond' for the animals. That way you can take the water down lower and limit the wave action.
    Good luck!

6. OP
    OP
    skar

Did it !!!
    20190623_170024.jpg