Move my Tank and Started a Cycle?

1. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I moved my tank not last weekend but the weekend before. I took everything out of the tank and laid it out on some clean towels. Drained the pumps and also laid them on the towels. Caught the fish, put them in a treated holding container until it was time to move them back and drained the water in the tank down to about 2 inches. Then I had my husband help me carry the tank into the new spot in my office. I then reversed the process and put the fish back into the tank. I did not clean anything at all other than the water in the tank.

The next morning I got up and tested the water and sure enough the move sent the tank into a mini cycle. The fish are fine, and I am waiting out the mini cycle, but what could have caused it? I was very careful when I moved everything.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Could maybe your water source have some ammonia in it? Has the tank been established for awhile? Good thing about mini cycles, is they usually dont last long.

3. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

My tap water has trace amounts of ammonia in it yes. The tank has been established for a good year or more....

4. Fall River Member Member

It could have been caused by disturbing the substrate, which allowed a lot of the decomposing waste/food to be released into the water. Not saying you don't keep your tanks clean, but, none of us get ALL the waste when we do our maintenance. :)

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

So Im thinking its from replacing so much of the water hopefully. But being established so long, I wouldnt expect it to last more than a few days. Your bacteria colony should be able to process it quickly

6. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Did the gravel, filter media, decor, etc dry out being laid out on towels? This will cause a loss of bacteria.

Just keep up on water changes. Don't do gravel changes unless there is a lot if debris. Even then, just do a surface scan.

Your cycle should recover soon.

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Changing water will never interfere with a tanks cycle. You could do complete changes every time you do one and it wouldn't make any difference.

If every little thing you do has an impact on the cycle, then I think your filtration may be maxed out. I know I've been over this with you before, but GPH does not equal filtration. Filtration and circulation are two different things.

ACTUALLY, I think I've just figured out what your problem is. It's your filtration, yes, but it's the opposite of what I just said.

The problem is you have like 1000 gph on a 60 gallon tank, which is way way overboard. The reason you are having problems is because the high turn over rate prevents the ammonia concentration from getting high enough to be able to sustain a bacteria colony large enough to provide stability.

The reason why HOBs need a high turnover rate is a compensation for a lack of media. The faster the water gets sucked into the filter, the lower the ammonia concentration, which is required for HOBs. Canisters, on the other hand, hold an enormous amount of media, so their turn over rates don't have to be as high because they can process a higher concentration of ammonia in one pass through the filter.

What I'm saying is that the majority of your media is likely not colonized, because of the super high turnover. The bacteria is not going to colonize media that doesn't have access to ammonia, and because the concentration is so low, only the first line of media is needed to mitigate it. What I'm saying is that while you have a large bioload, you have a small bioload bacteria colony.

So the answer is yes.... you CAN over filter a tank.

8. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

So, do you think I should bring it down to about.... say 750 gph?

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think you should look at the various filters you have and unplug (or restrict the flow) the one that holds the least amount of media. The only way for the bacteria to grow is if there is an excess of ammonia, which there will probably be when you turn off the filter. But it will balance. Then I would turn off the next one with the least volume of media. I think you should scale it back to 10x and see where you are.

10. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I have about two weeks until I get a hundred plus tank... my husband has a friend who might sell me his 280 gln. Then my bio load will come down. The 60 gallon SA fish will go into the large tank and I will put my African Cichlids in my 60. Then I will put the two convicts in with my blind Oscar in the 40. That will leave me with a 30 gallon tank with juvenille angels and rams and 2 20 gallon tropical tanks. I don't have any issues with any of the other tanks except where to put the blind Oscar. He never really grew because he had trouble getting food and he was so picked on. I would love to put him in with the other SA when I get my big tank, but I am afraid they will kill him. I have to hand feed him to make sure he eats. He needs a lot of special treatment.

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The bottom line is that if you have water quality issues, then it's a reflection of the filtration. There's no ifs, ands or buts.

Water quality is directly related to filtration. If you have a mini cycle, it means that the water that's leaving the filter still has ammonia in it, which means the filter is not performing it's primary function. The question is why. There is only one answer for why, and that is there isn't a large enough bacteria colony. There are different causes, and over filtering is certainly a more obscure one.