Move Goldfish? 5 Gallon Tank

1. A

Ameowia New Member Member

I was given a fantail goldfish in a small, filterless tank (I do lots of water changes).
    After doing research, I got a 5 gallon to move it into temporarily until I can get a 20 gallon. I pretty much cycled the tank but then yesterday I was getting it ready to move the fish in and I saw that the filter didn't seem to be working super well and there was stuff and what I think are detritus worms floating around the tank.

I took the filter cartridge out to rinse it in dechlorinated water, and I saw little black things that look like worms but they don't seem to be moving and are stuck to the cartridge. It's still in the bucket of water right now because I didn't want to lose the bacteria.

I then got a cartridge and a new better filter altogether and put them both into the tank. I also have a sponge filter in there so it could have some of the good bacteria on it?
    I put a drop of ammonia in there yesterday and today it's still at .25

Should I just change most of the water and move her anyway?
    I'm nervous about using a net but there aren't any plastic containers that will fit in the current tank.
    I don't want to lose my little fishy

2. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Are you getting nitrates in your tank? The fish itself can cause ammonia readings because all species of gold fish produce a lot of ammonia compared to other fish.

3. OP
    OP
    A

I was before I changed most of the water and the filter. And the fish isn't in the tank yet.

4. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

You changed the filter but did you replace it with cycled media? You may just be going through a new cycle.

5. OP
    OP
    A

I didn't have any cycled media since it's one of those small in-tank tetra filters. I do have cycled media in a canister filter so could I put some of that in the new Tetra hob filter?

Should I move the fish while it's cycling again?

6. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Was the sponge filter in a cycled tank because you said it had some good bacteria on it. Do you have gravel in the tank that has B.B. on it?

Yes! Move some of the canister filter media over and you may get an automatic cycle!

Test it after it runs a bit with the cycled media in it and if all is good, your ready to move your fish over. I do hope this is very temporary though because that fish needs the 20G. Soon. Good luck!

7. OP
    OP
    A

No, but I thought the tank was cycled at some point. The tank has pool filter sand.

8. Goldiemom

Just go with the canister media. Stuff some in with the new filter.

9. OP
    OP
    A

I put some of the media in the filter about two hours ago, the water coming directly out of it is still at least .25 ammonia?

10. Goldiemom

I was hoping it would show cycled. Do you have Prime? If so, you can move the fish in and do daily water changes with the Prime to detoxify the ammonia. Don’t add anymore ammonia though. The Goldie will produce that. Keep us posted!

11. OP
    OP
    A

I do have Prime. Do I need to do a water change before moving it?
    Also I have to go out of town tomorrow and I'll be back Saturday so would I need to wait until then so I can monitor it?

12. Goldiemom

If you do a water change and add Prime before you leave tomorrow he will be fine until you return on Saturday. Prime detoxifies for 24-48 hrs.

13. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Adding my half cent. Dose prime for the amount of water in the tank. You should be good till Saturday. :)