40 Gallon Tank Move from 20 to 40 gallon tall, what I could add to my stock!

OuiBonjour

Hello, I have a little community in a kinda overpopulated 20 gallon that will be moved in a 40 gallon tank that I will have in not too long.

The base will be 36 x 12 and it will be 24 inches tall.

What I have :

- 7 Glo-Tetras (1x White Skirt, 1 black skirt long finned, 5 colored)
- 6 Mountain Minnows (3 regular white ones, 3 golden ones
- 6 or 7 peppered corys
- 2 Platys
- Some khulis that I haven't seen in months, they're supposed to be 6 I think (I might want to relocate them)

I'd like to know what I could add :)

Everybody is doing fine in it, except the two platies who've been glass surfing for the last week. I might add 4 more.

I'd like to have a centerpiece that would not feel to tight in a 12 inch ( I would have loved a PearlGourami, but yeah... )

I already had a Dwarf Gourami that I loved but I'd like to try something new (or a dwarf gourami AND something else!)

I will keep the 24 inches 20 gallon as well, so I'm open to separate the community in two tanks if that'd allow me to get some more interesting stocking (maybe move the Glo Tetras in the 20 gallon with a school of tiger barbs and keep the 40 gallon for some more peaceful fish ?)

Anyway, Im open to all suggestions :)

PH is 7.8 , temp is between 78 and 80. No Ammonia and no Nitrites, Nitrates are usually close to zero pretty much all the time.

BigBeardDaHuZi

I could be wrong, but I don't think tiger barbs would fit well with the high fin tetras. The barbs are nippy and a bit aggressive by nature. The long flowing fins of the tetras would make tempting targets.

In a 40 high.... maybe an angelfish? They like the vertical space and make a fine showpiece

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

Hey, thanks for your reply ! Only one of my Glo-Tetras has long finned, the other ones have regular fins. But I see what you mean though, and after my post I read that a 20 gallon could be too small to contain babes agressivity just by themselves, let alone with some Glo-tetras as well hehe

The Angel fish could be a good idea, but aren't they schooling fish ? Would a single one be okay ? Also, if I keep the Glo-Tetras in it, would they try to nip fin it ? Also, my Mountain Minnows are very small (the non-golden ones are smaller than néons at the moment), would they become Angelfish food ?

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

A pair of angels. If you get 4 juveniles, they aren't aggressive then, then grow them out, wait for one to mate (In that time it may be a little crowded), and then get rid of the other 2.

Angels aren't necessarily schooling fish per se, but they are very social. When they are juveniles they tend to school together because they feel safer when they are young. But even as adults they like to have fellow angels.

As for the angelfish food. I would suggest reading my article, if you decide to get them, for the part on small tetras, read the part after the table I have, and do some research as to that yourself an make your decision. Also, read the conversation linked to the thread, but if you decide to get them, read the rest of it: Angelfish Care

It may just be a myth that they are nippy, for a lot of fish, they just had them in low numbers and that made them nippy. I would start a thread asking about it.

Also, I like how your name means: Yes hello.

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

Thanks for the information ! I read your entire post as well as the comments below and the discussion linked to it. A lot of information ! I'd still have a few questions, like I read that they can be more aggressive once they mate or have fry, could that be an issue in a tank that is not that big ? Also, their adult size scares me a little since it is still a 40 gallon.

I'm considering them, but I'm also open to other suggestions!

Would a single pacific medium size american cichlid be able to live with them ? I'm not thinking Rams or Apistos (well in fact I love some Apistos like Baenshi and panduro, so I'm open to suggestions), but I was thinking more like a single cryptoeros (not necessarily a Convict, but I know some are more peaceful, and even smaller like the dwarf yellow ones) or a single Thorichthys of the least agressive kind or something ?

A Pearl Gourami would also be in my ideal species, if people tell me he would not feel too tight in this tank !

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

. . . A Pearl Gourami would also be in my ideal species, if people tell me he would not feel too tight in this tank !

Pearl gouramis definitely wouldn't be cramped, though if you haven't already bought the tank, and have room for the larger footprint, I'd suggest getting a 40 gallon breeder tank (18"D x 36"L x 17"T) instead of the standard. I have 9 in mine.

That assumes you mean pearl gouramis instead of the cichlids, not in addition to them. That might still work, but I'm not as confident.

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

Thanks! In fact it's not a purchase but a gift. I also have a 36 gallon with a 36x18 footprint or something similar, but I need to redo the joints, find a lid and solidify a unit.. so that will take a while before I can use it hehe

alright so you think a Pearl Gourami would still be okay im this size with my current stocking ? That is sweet to my ears!

Would I still have some room to up the number of my current schools and schools ?

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

As for the aggression. Mainly it is guarding their eggs, but if you destroy them right away, there won't be as much aggression. Thought they might not like you as much lol!

If you did your stocking and a pair of angels, I don't think it would be too cramped (The main problem is them being territorial to other angels, but with a pair, and the height they should be fine).

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

Thanks! In fact it's not a purchase but a gift. I also have a 36 gallon with a 36x18 footprint or something similar, but I need to redo the joints, find a lid and solidify a unit.. so that will take a while before I can use it hehe

alright so you think a Pearl Gourami would still be okay im this size with my current stocking ? That is sweet to my ears!

Would I still have some room to up the number of my current schools and schools ?

I think a pearl would be fine with your current fish; in fact I'd recommend getting several.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, I would keep the Minnows separate, they are much better off in a cooler tank than Pearls would appreciate. I would get 4 or 5 Pearls aiming for one male.

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

I think a pearl would be fine with your current fish; in fact I'd recommend getting several.
Hi, I would keep the Minnows separate, they are much better off in a cooler tank than Pearls would appreciate.

Thank you both :)

So let's say I move the minnows to another tank, and go from this stock from my 20 gallons :

- 7x Glo/White-S/Black-S Tetras
- 7x Peppered Cories
- 7x Khuli Loaches
- 2 Platys

and go with this in my 40 gallons tall :

- 4x Pearl Gouramis
- 9x Glo/White-S/Black-S Tetras
- 7x Khuli Loaches (I would not mind rehoming them though)
- 5x platys (or should I move them too because of the Temp ?)

Would that make menses ? Would I have some more wiggle room ?

Maybe for a Golden Ram or something ?

Also, would an Aquaclear 50 + a 4.5" sponge filter with a 800L/H powerhead be enough for that 45 gallon (36x12x24) ?

I would get 4 or 5 Pearls aiming for one male.

Would the objective be to keep only the male in the end, or to have one male and 3-4 females ? And how would I manage to know if I have only one male, and what should I do if I get more than one male ? In the end, should I keep the harem or just the pair ? And will they get agressive towards my other fish once they pair/mate ?

Thanks again :)

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

- 7x Peppered Cories
These would actually be better off with the Minnows come to think of it.
- 4x Pearl Gouramis

Keep a harem of one male and several females. As long as there is more females than males it should be ok, but ideally you'll end up with a single male to a few females.
If they breed they, the male will become aggressive towards everyone in the tank while he defends a bubble nest. This isn't something I often see with Pearls though.
A group is always better for social fish like Pearl Gourami, it's the same as keeping more Tetra.
Also, would an Aquaclear 50 + a 4.5" sponge filter with a 800L/H powerhead be enough for that 45 gallon (36x12x24) ?
I'm not sure how the filters are setup, but keep in mind Gourami don't like flow, it can end badly for them if they are in too strong of a current.

You definitely have wiggle room but I would see how it goes with the current stocking before you add anything else.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

Thank you both :)

So let's say I move the minnows to another tank, and go from this stock from my 20 gallons :

- 7x Glo/White-S/Black-S Tetras
- 7x Peppered Cories
- 7x Khuli Loaches
- 2 Platys

and go with this in my 40 gallons tall :

- 4x Pearl Gouramis

Would the objective be to keep only the male in the end, or to have one male and 3-4 females ? And how would I manage to know if I have only one male, and what should I do if I get more than one male ? In the end, should I keep the harem or just the pair ? And will they get agressive towards my other fish once they pair/mate ?

Thanks again :)

It looks like jinjerJOSH22 answered most of your questions. The only thing I have to add is that the filtration you mentioned is pretty much what I have in my 40 gallon breeder tank with the pearls, minus the power head. I'd skip that and go with just the AC 50 and the sponge filter.

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

Keep a harem of one male and several females. As long as there is more females than males it should be ok, but ideally you'll end up with a single male to a few females.
If they breed they, the male will become aggressive towards everyone in the tank while he defends a bubble nest. This isn't something I often see with Pearls though.
A group is always better for social fish like Pearl Gourami, it's the same as keeping more Tetra.

So I should start with 4-5 juveniles, hope that I have only one male, and if I have more than one I rehome the others ? As for the agression while defending their nest, is it bad agression, like will I have to intervene and separate them or things like that, or in a 45 gallon the other fish will just learn to stay away ?

I'm not sure how the filters are setup, but keep in mind Gourami don't like flow, it can end badly for them if they are in too strong of a current.

You definitely have wiggle room but I would see how it goes with the current stocking before you add anything else.

I currently have those two filters in my 20 gallons, and even though I know it's overkill I managed to arrange things in a way that the flow is minimal. I installed areas under the HOB that diffuse the water calmly on the surface, and the outflow of the powerhead points in a corner, and almost downwards in a way where 5/6 of the water is very calm.

Maybe I'll just remove the powerhead and just put a bubble inside the sponge filter instead.

I was just afraid that my tank would be too deep (24 inches) for the intake of the HOB and the sponge filter to filter the bottom of it.

These would actually be better off with the Minnows come to think of it. (the corydoras)

Could I ask more details on this ? Would it be because of the temperature, or is there some incompatibilities between Pearl Gouramis and Corys ? If it's the temperature, they have been in this temp (78) for almost 2 years and they don't seem stressed out. I know it's at the border of their ideal parameters thought, maybe the effect on them would be on the long run ?

Again, thanks for all of your answers, and sorry if I ask too many questions hehe

It looks like jinjerJOSH22 answered most of your questions. The only thing I have to add is that the filtration you mentioned is pretty much what I have in my 40 gallon breeder tank with the pearls, minus the power head. I'd skip that and go with just the AC 50 and the sponge filter.

Okay thank you, I will do that too I think !

Since my tank will be 24 inches deep, do you think I would need some kind of extension so that my AC50's intake gets deep enough to filter the bottom part as well ?

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

So I should start with 4-5 juveniles, hope that I have only one male, and if I have more than one I rehome the others ? As for the agression while defending their nest, is it bad agression, like will I have to intervene and separate them or things like that, or in a 45 gallon the other fish will just learn to stay away ?
Either aim for larger fish and be able to more accurately sex them or buy a bunch and rehome what doesn't workout. The former being more ideal. Just remember, some "aggression" is completely normal with Gourami.
It's hard to really say, the tank isn't huge and I've never experienced Pearls breeding(I tried once and the male wouldn't build a nest). Personally I would deal with it as it comes up. My Three Spots haven't been too much of a problem in a smaller tank, My Paradise and Thick Lips on the other hand caused big trouble for the Barbs they shared the tank with(it was only 10 gallons though
Could I ask more details on this ? Would it be because of the temperature, or is there some incompatibilities between Pearl Gouramis and Corys ? If it's the temperature, they have been in this temp (78) for almost 2 years and they don't seem stressed out. I know it's at the border of their ideal parameters thought, maybe the effect on them would be on the long run ?
Yes the temperature. It can cause skin irritations keeping them in too warm a water. But that is up to you, I don't know how detrimental it could be in the long run, maybe not at all?

No problem, I doubt we would post if we didn't enjoy helping =)

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

Since my tank will be 24 inches deep, do you think I would need some kind of extension so that my AC50's intake gets deep enough to filter the bottom part as well ?

I don't know that you need it, but it would probably be a good idea. Maybe even two of them (I have one extension, two intake tubes total, on the AC50 in my 40 breeder, which is only 17" tall).

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

Thanks again to both of you for the information!

I'll use one or more extenders on my intakes. And I will buy a bunch of PG and rehome those who do not behave :)

I was wondering, if remove the minnows and the platys, and get 3 PG 1m2F, could a single angel or ram be introduced at some point ?

I recalculated and it's not a 40 gallons but a 45 (36x12, 24T)

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

Thanks again to both of you for the information!

I'll use one or more extenders on my intakes. And I will buy a bunch of PG and rehome those who do not behave :)

I was wondering, if remove the minnows and the platys, and get 3 PG 1m2F, could a single angel or ram be introduced at some point ?

I recalculated and it's not a 40 gallons but a 45 (36x12, 24T)

I haven't tried it, but I don't think I'd mix rams or angels with pearl gouramis.

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

Alright thanks a lot :)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
cichlidL
  • Question
Replies
Views
jologs459