Move Bristlenose Pleco Fry?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Cathy's fish, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Cathy's fish

Cathy's fish New Member Member

EEEKKK!!!!! i just noticed some baby plecos in my tank...
    I lifted on of the ornaments and found the place where they all are .. LOTS of them should i move them out to a breeding net or something or just let them be in the tank..
    Its 40 g. a few guppies and tetras and 4 Bristlenose. The guy who gave them to me told me they were a breeding pair... He wasn't kidding!!

2. Brandon03

Brandon03 Valued Member Member

You should set up a larger tank for the fry. When the plecos grow, they would produce too much wastes for yur tank.

3. OP
    OP
    Cathy's fish

yes, thats a good idea. I have a spare 5 g but i don't have a heater or filtration

4. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Any tank you move them to may need to be a mature one with algae for them to eat.

They may be better off staying in the main tank, although some fish including tetras will eat them.

Long-term, they will breed again. And again. And again. For around 20 years. So you could think up a long-term solution.

5. OP
    OP
    Cathy's fish

Yes I was so excited to see this lot of fry that I didn't stop to consider long term. Thanks.
    What size tank would you suggest for this. If they survive and grow healthy I would have to sell or give them away, as I don't want to be overrun with BN

6. RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

If you're looking to get rid of them, your lfs will likely buy them (or at least give you store credit)

7. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

I'd leave them there unless you have specific plans for them. Doesnt sound like there is anything too threatening in the tank.

Once they've grown up to an inch or two you might be able to sell them for a few dollars.

8. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

@bizaliz I think you have bred BNP - yes?

9. OP
    OP
    Cathy's fish

so after a lot of thought, i'm juggling ... going to move my betta from his 5 g because it's cycled... he will go into new tank with borrowed filtration to quick start cycle..
    As of now the fry are in a container with airstone. floating in main tank... most still have their yolk sacks, but some are venturing out...
    This is quite a leaning experience :)

10. jkramer

jkramer New Member Member

11. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Are you planning to try and grow them out in a 5 gallon?

12. OP
    OP
    Cathy's fish

Its the only tank i have available... so i thought i might put them in there till they get a little bit bigger. I don't want to leave them in the 40g as i would never be able to catch them all.. They are very fast and the tank has a large plant that they can hide in if i try to catch them. At this stage i have no idea how many there are.
    Sheesh.. I set up one tank late last year and now i have 5 including my hospital tank... addictive hobby :) haha

13. bizaliz3

Their growth will be insanely slow in a 5 gallon....and they will end up stunted. That's the problem. My almost 4 month old babies are in a 30 gallon and still just a little over an inch in size. In a 5 gallon they'd be even smaller.

They are actually pretty easy to catch when they are young if you use the water bottle trick. Put an empty water bottle in there with a bunch of algae Wafers inside and all of the little buggers will swim right into the bottle. Simple as that. :)

If a 5-gallon is the only option, Id personally keep them where they are and use the water bottle trick when you're ready to bring them to the store.

14. OP
    OP
    Cathy's fish

Oh wow.. thats something i didn't know. Hmmm. This site is great to learn all the tricks of the trade.

15. bizaliz3

I learned the trick right here on Fishlore myself :)

16. TwoHedWlf

If they're really small, I used to just siphon them up with a hose.

17. OP
    OP
    Cathy's fish

If i leave them in the big tank how can i know they are feeding properly though? I was going to feed baby brine shrimp in the small tank

18. bizaliz3

I've never fed baby brine shrimp to plecos.

My babies were eating veggies and algae wafers from the minute the finished their yolk sacks!

19. TwoHedWlf

First, by not feeding them baby brine shrimp. They won't eat it, or at least not a significant amount. Veggies and algae wafers like Bizaliz says. And they'll graze on any other algae and leftover food around the tank.

20. OP
    OP
    Cathy's fish

Thanks everyone for the advice

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice