Move Betta Back To Main Tank?

sea-potato

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey all, I've been posting about my male betta, Atlas, because I was worried about him hiding and not eating in the 5 gallon tank. I moved him to a 2.5 gallon 4 days ago and finally got him to start eating again. He's more active and his fins aren't clamped anymore. My question is how long should I wait before I attempt to move Atlas back to the 5 gallon tank?

currently in 2.5 gallon: ammonia 0.25, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, ph 8, temp fluctuates 77-80F, 8W heater, no filter, no substrate, no ornaments, no lid, doing 25% water changes once or twice a day

want to move to 5 gallon: ammonia 0, nitrites 0.5, nitrates 5, ph 8.2, temperature 79F, 25W adjustable heater, built in light and filter (fluval chi), black gravel, decorative bridge ornament, 1 mystery snail, 2 ghost shrimp, amazon sword plant, doing 25% water changes once or twice a day

Also, Atlas used to eat pellets but now all he wants are frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. Can I safely feed him these daily?

sea-potato

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fanatic said:
Why are you seeing ammonia and nitrites?
Did you cycle the tanks?
No, unfortunately I didn't know about the nitrogen cycle before I got Atlas. The 2.5 gallon was empty and I put him in it because he looked like he was dying in the 5 gallon (tilting to side, looking dazed, not eating for 2 weeks). I think the 5 gallon tank is still cycling, I only got it a few weeks ago.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would move him back to the larger tank and do daily water changes of 50% until the tank cycles. Since neither tank is cycled, the larger water volume will dilute his waste more.

That's not a great diet for maintenance. I would fast him a few days and then feed pellets. Fish can go weeks without eating, so don't panic if he doesn't want the pellets for a few days. Eventually he'll learn that's all he's going to get.

sea-potato

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TexasDomer said:
I would move him back to the larger tank and do daily water changes of 50% until the tank cycles. Since neither tank is cycled, the larger water volume will dilute his waste more.

That's not a great diet for maintenance. I would fast him a few days and then feed pellets. Fish can go weeks without eating, so don't panic if he doesn't want the pellets for a few days. Eventually he'll learn that's all he's going to get.
Should I do 25% water changes 12 hours apart or a 50% water change every 24 hours? I read that large water changes are stressful and it's better to break them up.

I'm worried about fasting him because I just got him to start eating something after about 2 weeks of nothing. From the top he looks quite skinny.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Larger water changes are not that stressful, so it's fine to do it at one time if you want. I do large water changes on my tanks all the time, with never any issues.

sea-potato

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TexasDomer said:
Larger water changes are not that stressful, so it's fine to do it at one time if you want. I do large water changes on my tanks all the time, with never any issues.
Thank you for your help! I'm currently floating my betta and I fed him 2 pellets. I hope he will keep eating in the bigger tank. The shrimp are voracious and eat anything that falls to the floor.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom