Move Betta Back To Main Tank?

sea-potato

Hey all, I've been posting about my male betta, Atlas, because I was worried about him hiding and not eating in the 5 gallon tank. I moved him to a 2.5 gallon 4 days ago and finally got him to start eating again. He's more active and his fins aren't clamped anymore. My question is how long should I wait before I attempt to move Atlas back to the 5 gallon tank?

currently in 2.5 gallon: ammonia 0.25, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, ph 8, temp fluctuates 77-80F, 8W heater, no filter, no substrate, no ornaments, no lid, doing 25% water changes once or twice a day

want to move to 5 gallon: ammonia 0, nitrites 0.5, nitrates 5, ph 8.2, temperature 79F, 25W adjustable heater, built in light and filter (fluval chi), black gravel, decorative bridge ornament, 1 mystery snail, 2 ghost shrimp, amazon sword plant, doing 25% water changes once or twice a day

Also, Atlas used to eat pellets but now all he wants are frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. Can I safely feed him these daily?

sea-potato

Fanatic said:
Why are you seeing ammonia and nitrites?
Did you cycle the tanks?
No, unfortunately I didn't know about the nitrogen cycle before I got Atlas. The 2.5 gallon was empty and I put him in it because he looked like he was dying in the 5 gallon (tilting to side, looking dazed, not eating for 2 weeks). I think the 5 gallon tank is still cycling, I only got it a few weeks ago.

TexasDomer

I would move him back to the larger tank and do daily water changes of 50% until the tank cycles. Since neither tank is cycled, the larger water volume will dilute his waste more.

That's not a great diet for maintenance. I would fast him a few days and then feed pellets. Fish can go weeks without eating, so don't panic if he doesn't want the pellets for a few days. Eventually he'll learn that's all he's going to get.

sea-potato

TexasDomer said:
I would move him back to the larger tank and do daily water changes of 50% until the tank cycles. Since neither tank is cycled, the larger water volume will dilute his waste more.

That's not a great diet for maintenance. I would fast him a few days and then feed pellets. Fish can go weeks without eating, so don't panic if he doesn't want the pellets for a few days. Eventually he'll learn that's all he's going to get.
Should I do 25% water changes 12 hours apart or a 50% water change every 24 hours? I read that large water changes are stressful and it's better to break them up.

I'm worried about fasting him because I just got him to start eating something after about 2 weeks of nothing. From the top he looks quite skinny.

TexasDomer

Larger water changes are not that stressful, so it's fine to do it at one time if you want. I do large water changes on my tanks all the time, with never any issues.

sea-potato

TexasDomer said:
Larger water changes are not that stressful, so it's fine to do it at one time if you want. I do large water changes on my tanks all the time, with never any issues.
Thank you for your help! I'm currently floating my betta and I fed him 2 pellets. I hope he will keep eating in the bigger tank. The shrimp are voracious and eat anything that falls to the floor.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom