Mouth rot?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by joiakimfish, Jul 2, 2016.

1. joiakimfish

joiakimfish Valued Member Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

I noticed two of my TB mouth seem to be stuck open .. I looked around and a lot of results say mouth rot ... Pics suck sorry ... But I read that it's caused by high temperature witch I just managed to get under control about a week ago
    What to do been

2. T

Tedy New Member Member

Ive been having the same problem with my zebra danios but their mouth is not completely loose, there is just a little gap in between. I was wondering if thats because of the pellets being too big or is it an infection? I also notice that their heads were turning a slight color of red. Please help :(( i really dont want to lose them

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Think it is mouthrot, usually caused by (aeromonas) bacteria.
    A strong antibacterial med (not melafix) or even antibiotix can help.
    Lot of bacteriaspecies thrive at higher temps !

4. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Do you think these two could have had their mouths nipped? Just considering this since they are tetras.

5. DoubleDutch

Barbs you mean?

6. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Ah! You're right, no coffee yet :( thanks for catching that.

7. DoubleDutch

Bacteria could have taken their chance at damaged/nipped mouths indeed !

8. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

It's possible that I'm going to loose them? The temp is now much more steady ... If I loose them I'm going to buy 10 more once everything clears up

9. DoubleDutch

How big is the tank we're talkijng about.

10. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

125g very under stocked 6 tb 4 reed eye tetras 1 rainbow shark and 2 candy cane tetra .... Temp fluctuations have caused me some loses and problems but it's much more stable now but I know the damage is probably done

11. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

Rivieraneo we'll they were my first fish I don't think they would turn on each other and bite each other's mouth was worried bout my rainbow who schools with them sometimes but I haven't seen any aggression from him ... The two that have the problem also seem to stay to them selves in between one of my plants

12. DoubleDutch

Mouthrot is contagious, so wait buying new ones till you definitely sure it is cured.

13. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

Ok I will wait

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice