Mother In-law's Tank

sielaffchris

My mother inlaw has a 9 gallon circular bioOrb tube. It has an integrated sponge filter. Also, the ceramic bioOrb substrate. She has cycled the tank and tests the water regularly. 7.6 pH. Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are clear. 40% water change weekly. Stable temp.

The first attempt at a planted tank, she got an infestation of snails, so she used a SeaChem copper treatment. Fish safe according to the bottle. Snails died, fish lived for a while.

She had a couple guppies in and they did well, then swam to the surface for a few days and died. She bought another couple guppies, same thing has happened to one. Other is still doing well. I would think O2 deficiency, but it's got a sponge filter with an airstone, so....?

Presently, she has some cleaned, but untested rocks from Nantucket in the tank. I told her to take them out and test them with vinegar.

Otherwise it seems she is doing everything correct. Her water comes from a well, so no chlorine, but hasn't been tested for other trace elements.

Any ideas for how I can help her trouble shoot this tank?

ProudPapa

The problem may be the guppies. I had similar problems getting them established. I believe they were just weak fish to start, and I've seen other people here report similar issues.

Upvote 0

Nataku

Sometimes guppies are just not from strong lines.

But, you mentioned a copper treatment, so to be safe, I'd pull the substrate and give it all a good rinsing before putting it back in the tank. It shouldn't effect the fish unless it's in a very high concentration but, just to be safe, that's what I'd do.

Upvote 0

sielaffchris

The problem may be the guppies. I had similar problems getting them established. I believe they were just weak fish to start, and I've seen other people here report similar issues.

Yea, I seem to think that too. I walked through all the various potential issues with her and couldn't find something that she appeared to be doing wrong.
Sometimes guppies are just not from strong lines.

But, you mentioned a copper treatment, so to be safe, I'd pull the substrate and give it all a good rinsing before putting it back in the tank. It shouldn't effect the fish unless it's in a very high concentration but, just to be safe, that's what I'd do.

Thanks for the reply. I will have her do that.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
chromedome52
Replies
Views
Blacksheep1
  • Question
Replies
Views
RayClem