most underrated investment

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ppate1977, Apr 7, 2010.

1. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Most members here will already know this but I feel it needs shed "light" upon. I replaced my light bulb in my 10 gal betta tank today and WOW!!! What a differance. I went from a 15w incandescent to a 10w compact florescent 50/50 bulb. The fish looks amazing! The color of everything is so much more vibrant. Best $10 I've spent on any tank.:;fb

2. A

Ay1a Valued Member Member

Right now my light is currently a incandescent but when I get some plants I'll be switching to florescent so I'll take this down when I head down to my LFS. :)

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Changing the lighting can really have a dramatic impact on the tank.

I would submit that a GOOD black background makes just as big an improvement as the lights. What I mean by good is glossy, and attached to the glass with something other than tape. I prefer a product called seaview, but there are other methods like using vasaline and stuff. Basicaly, there has to be a medium between the glass and the background to achieve the look. Using tape allows for air gaps between the glass and BG, which looks sloppy. Also, the intensity of the colors are distorted because of the air gaps. Lastly, the attached black background will make the tank look bigger (deeper).

You can paint the glass, as well. That's what I plan to do with the 90 gallon, but I'm going to practice first on something smaller.

4. OP
    OP
    ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Good point jaysee... I actually have a nice glossy black background affixed. I have 9 plants in the tank. They were already doing great, now I'm thinking they will grow faster as well. Even though I actually reduced the wattage.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice