Most Reliable Heater On The Market?

AnglerTheStrangler

Hello,

I’m trying to get some recommendations on the best quality, most reliable aquarium heater on the market. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

75g Discus Tank

I currently use an EHEIM 300 Watt Heater on my 75 gallon and it works ok. It turns on and off and the water is kinda cool sometimes. I know that most lfs' use EHEIM heaters but completely submerge them.

Betrayer

I've been very happy with my Aqueon Pro heaters. I use them in two different tanks. They have been reliable and keep the temperature nice and steady.

Natalya

I have eheim jager and am not happy with it at all. The temperature keeps oscillating between 75 and 78. It's my first eheim, and I did not have this problem before

75g Discus Tank

Natalya said:
I have eheim jager and am not happy with it at all. The temperature keeps oscillating between 75 and 78. It's my first eheim, and I did not have this problem before
Also have the problem with mine. It keeps on bouncing around. I found a solution though. I just filled up the water as high as I could and have the water line at the heating indicator. This has warmed up my tank from before but it still bounces.

James17

I've used a Finnex HC-810M digital controller with a 300 watt titanium heater for several years and never had a problem.

AnglerTheStrangler

75g Discus Tank said:
I currently use an EHEIM 300 Watt Heater on my 75 gallon and it works ok. It turns on and off and the water is kinda cool sometimes. I know that most lfs' use EHEIM heaters but completely submerge them.
Have you heard of the Cobalt Neo-Therm heaters? That’s what I’m using now and it’s works great and stays within temp range of .5 degrees. I was just seeing what my options were but maybe I’ll just by another neo therm.

James17 said:
I've used a Finnex HC-810M digital controller with a 300 watt titanium heater for several years and never had a problem.
Who makes the titanium heater?

James17

It's Finnex Also I believe, I'd have to look for the box to be positive.

by Finnex
Amazon

AnglerTheStrangler

James17 said:
It's Finnex Also I believe, I'd have to look for the box to be positive.

by Finnex
Amazon
Thank you

Fish-whisper

Natalya said:
75g Discus Tank said:
Also have the problem with mine. It keeps on bouncing around. I found a solution though. I just filled up the water as high as I could and have the water line at the heating indicator. This has warmed up my tank from before but it still bounces.
Once long ago Jager was tops, IMO the newer ones are not so. I have three new models that do the same as the two post above. All three of mine run out of calibration range so that feature is worthless, I run them with digital controllers so things are reliable. I also have and Fluval heaters that do the job just fine. My next purchase will be the Cobalt Neo-Therm, they get rave reviews.

NavigatorBlack

Honestly, with almost every brand, you can buy three heaters and one will be unreliable. I have had that with almost every heater I have used. I have tried a lot of brands.
I have an old green ebo jaeger that has run for 22 years, reliably and effectively. Other heaters from the same brand have failed right after the guarantee was done (never before).
The really cheap ones are hazardous, but even the name brands are unpredictable.

AmnScott

I've had marineland heaters fail on me, Topfin, and even Aqueon heaters. I've got a pile of heaters in a big box in my garage. As mentioned by , experience will vary.

Now what heater have I personally had the best luck with? EheI'm Jager or Fluval M series. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's typical.

bgclarke

Aqueon Pro heaters are the ones I hear mentioned as being the best/most reliable.

Of the seven tanks I have running at the moment, four of them have Cobalt Accu-Therm heaters.
Made in the same factory as the Aqueon Pro heaters in Italy.

The old green ebo jaeger heaters that mentioned are bulletproof and long lasting.

I have a 100 watt EheI'm Jager in my 20 gallon. It's working fine and holds the temperature steady in the colder months; I had to calibrate it twice in order to get the temperature setting correct.

AnglerTheStrangler

Fish-whisper said:
Once long ago Jager was tops, IMO the newer ones are not so. I have three new models that do the same as the two post above. All three of mine run out of calibration range so that feature is worthless, I run them with digital controllers so things are reliable. I also have and Fluval heaters that do the job just fine. My next purchase will be the Cobalt Neo-Therm, they get rave reviews.
Yeah I have 4 of them and they work great. Nothing is ever going to be 100% perfect but the neo themes are pretty darn close.

AnglerTheStrangler

bgclarke said:
Aqueon Pro heaters are the ones I hear mentioned as being the best/most reliable.

Of the seven tanks I have running at the moment, four of them have Cobalt Accu-Therm heaters.
Made in the same factory as the Aqueon Pro heaters in Italy.

The old green ebo jaeger heaters that mentioned are bulletproof and long lasting.

I have a 100 watt EheI'm Jager in my 20 gallon. It's working fine and holds the temperature steady in the colder months; I had to calibrate it twice in order to get the temperature setting correct.
This might be a stupid question but how do you calibrate a Heater?

AnglerTheStrangler

AmnScott said:
I've had marineland heaters fail on me, Topfin, and even Aqueon heaters. I've got a pile of heaters in a big box in my garage. As mentioned by , experience will vary.

Now what heater have I personally had the best luck with? EheI'm Jager or Fluval M series. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's typical.
Yeah it seems like heaters are the Achilles heel of the Aquarium hobby lol

AnglerTheStrangler

NavigatorBlack said:
Honestly, with almost every brand, you can buy three heaters and one will be unreliable. I have had that with almost every heater I have used. I have tried a lot of brands.
I have an old green ebo jaeger that has run for 22 years, reliably and effectively. Other heaters from the same brand have failed right after the guarantee was done (never before).
The really cheap ones are hazardous, but even the name brands are unpredictable.
Jeez 22 years! That’s so long!

AmnScott

Another heater that doesn't get much praise is the AquaTop titanium heaters. They've been very rugged in my expethence and are very accurate.

Fish-whisper

Fredbetta86 said:
This might be a stupid question but how do you calibrate a Heater?
How to install and calibrate EheI'm Jager aquarium heaters – BRStv How-To

Natalya

Fredbetta86 said:
Yeah I have 4 of them and they work great. Nothing is ever going to be 100% perfect but the neo themes are pretty darn close.
Wow, just looked up cobalt neo therm heaters - they are really expensive!

AvalancheDave

I like the Fluval E heaters with electronic thermostats (and built-in thermometer). A big weakness in analog thermostats is the bimetallic strip thermostat that tends to fail on.

I have two Fluval Es, three or four Stealth Pros, and an original Ebo Jager heater. They're all good heaters but I think the Fluval Es are the best and are what I use for my fish. The rest are backups and used for pre-heating water for water changes.

Studoc72

I have a Jager EheI'm 125 and it has been excellent for me, have it on an open top tank which is in an entrance hallway and October here is cold yet the tanks temp remains constant.

That said I also have a JBL pro temp s200 which I was sold as the most reliable on the market. It is easily better quality than the EheI'm it has a cage to prevent harm to fish. It is also absolutely huge even though it is only 200w it is around 15 inches long.

NavigatorBlack

Heaters really are our Achilles heel. We are generally keeping tropical fish, so the extra warmth is needed. We also tend to overdo it - the suggested temperatures on Fishlore are generally higher than I would ever use, and I see temps creeping up across the hobby for no reason related to the fish. We have taken the average tank temp to about 27/80 over the past 20 years, up from 23/75, where it was for the first 50 years we had heaters.
That's an odd observation. I don't know why it's happening. People in the US really overheat tanks, shortening fish lifespans.
Heaters had a short window where they were well made and reliable. That ended quickly, and they began to burn out like lightbulbs. The technology exists to make them reliable, but then there is no need for replacement, and it isn't profitable. They had to be made disposable. In return, they are cheaper than they were when you could count on them for years, but you probably have no savings in the longterm. The cheaper product kills a lot of fish.

Galathiel

Speaking from personal experience, my Texas tanks stay around 80 degrees in the summer (obviously, no heater needed). I probably don't use heaters until November or December. I've been using Hydor heaters for years and still have all the ones I've bought except one.

Oleander

I just had an Aquatop Titanium 300W heater go out. I've had it for about 8 months, so needless to say, I'm very disappointed. The sad thing is that I'm treating my tank for hexamita and trying to keep the temp higher than usual. When I got home yesterday and checked out my tank, the temp was at 70 degrees. My poor discus!

Awaken_Riceball_

My Order:
  • Aqueon Pro Heater

• (Adding this one since I read many good reviews about it)

DanPlanted

Awaken_Riceball_ said:
My Order:
  • Aqueon Pro Heater

• (Adding this one since I read many good reviews about it)
Agreed, Aqueon Pro is what I use but have heard great things about Cobalt Neo-Therm. I think that any more expensive titanium heater is also great, including Finnex and Aquatop.

FishTankChris

I've had good luck with the older Juwel heaters. Recently bought two EheI'm heaters; one is great, after calibrating it keeps the temperature steady, the other is a complete turd. The nearest calibration point I can get to the actual temperature is over 8c out so the minimum temperature I can get out of it is 26 centigrade.. Garbage!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom