Most over rated and under rated fish - Page 3

Out of the selected few, Which of these fish (or fish types) are the most overrated?

• Oscars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • African Cichlids

• Goldfish

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aquafrogg

I third the kuhlis! I’ve only had mine for a few days but they’re starting to become a little less shy! During the day there’s always one poking their head out of this crevice between two rocks and when the lights go out all 6 squiggle around the tank like crazy. And I love how they dig little burrows under rocks and stuff and all pile in Such adorable behavior

and I know this isn’t technically a fish but I love ADFs. So much personality in such a tiny body! and I raised mine since he was smaller than the top part of my thumb and still had a little bit of a tail left, so he is so friendly that he will crawl all over my hand and chase it around the tank. He has ZERO fear. He would definitely die in the wild trying to say hello to passing fish. It’s like having a puppy

Lucas35

Honey gouramis. They look good and have cool personalitys. I also like pond snails (lymnaeidae). I first got a radix peregra from a pet store and recently I found some invasive big ear pond snails washed up on the beach. I saved as many as I could find and put them in my aquarium. Most freshwater snails are completely solitary but radix peregra and big ear pond snails (actually all lymnaeidae are social) are very social. I only had one R. Peregra for months though because they only had one. I have got him to self fertilize though and now I am raising the babies. The big ear pond snails almost always stay stay in the group they have established in the ball of coontail. They like to interact with each other. They don't seem to like the R. Peregra though. The first time it tried to join the group it gnawed on the shell of a big ear pond snail. Then next time a big ear pond snail tried to mate with it and it crawled away as fast as it could. Today it was in the group and I thought it was finally all good. When it left its foot (body) was missing a bunch of pieces. I can only imagine how they did that

trackguy77

Dippiedee

Dwarf neon rasbora. I wish I had an appropriate tank to keep them in they're gorgeous and I never see them mentioned

GlennO

Scissortail Rasboras might be under appreciated since I've never seen them recommended here even though they are quite hardy, easy to care for, inexpensive and easily obtained. Despite their lack of bright colours a big school of them is an impressive sight in a largish tank. They look like a school of active silvery streamlined torpedoes.

trackguy77

Dippiedee said:
Dwarf neon rasbora. I wish I had an appropriate tank to keep them in they're gorgeous and I never see them mentioned
their nice fish and btw,how has your water parameters and inhabitants been doing?

AcornTheBetta

IDK if someone already said this, but WCMM. They are very cheap, but they have great colors and are super cute!

Basil

I agree with sparkling gourami. I’ve also only had mine a few weeks but they are really cool little fish. Well, except if they are bothering the snails
Another little fish that I have is Laubuca dadiburjori also known as Dadios or brilliant hatchet fish. Although they don’t look like hatchet fish at all.
They are a top level fish and quite pretty when you start noticing their subtle colors.

Fisch

Kribensis27 said:
Really? We have them at PetSmart here.
Not in Utah

Basil

GlennO said:
Scissortail Rasboras might be under appreciated since I've never seen them recommended here even though they are quite hardy, easy to care for, inexpensive and easily obtained. Despite their lack of bright colours a big school of them is an impressive sight in a largish tank. They look like a school of active silvery streamlined torpedoes.
I had them for a while and really liked them. I called them my Edward Scissortails Sadly, they were a casualty of my “poison tank”. It’s a long story.Sigh. But hopefully, I’ll be able to fit them in somewhere again.

V1K

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I don't see a lot of love for tiger barbs. Actually swim in a school unlike a lot of schooling fish. Watching a wall of them swim around is impressive. I find it almost hypnotizing. Also, is entertaining watching them sort out their social structure within their school.
Hmm, in my country they're kind of "default barbs". If someone says "I have barbs" and doesn't specify which species, in most cases it's these guys.

LeahsTank

JettsPapa said:
I think one of the most under-utilized fish is sparkling gouramis. I've only been keeping them for a few weeks, but I really enjoy watching them, and they're beautiful little fish.
I just got some a week and a half ago. The store only had 3, so I’ll have to go back for more. I want at least 10.

Shamannite80

I never hear anything about peacock gudgeons. Mine follow everything I do. They "help" me clean the tank and entertain my cats. I love my three and am wanting more but my lfs never gets them in. I am planning on ordering online.
Mandy627 said:
I see alot of tiger barbs, mollies, platys and tetras... I saw a few people say diamond tetras are overlooked but so many people keep them, petco has them...rarely do I find a person who keeps killifish. Especially gardneri killi, they lay eggs all the time and I get credit at LFS for donating their babies. They are probably the brightest colored fresh water fish that I know of.
I would love to have some of those. I can never find them anywhere. They are a very beautiful fish. Would they get along with peacock gudgeons?

Mii

thick lipped gourami. a lot of people just think of them as "thay fish that gets mislabeled as a honey gourami", but they're actually wonderful fish to keep.

Kribensis27

Mii said:
thick lipped gourami. a lot of people just think of them as "thay fish that gets mislabeled as a honey gourami", but they're actually wonderful fish to keep.
The downside of the honey gourami is that it's too small and shy to be kept with lots of bigger, more energetic fish. With a thick lipped gourami, you get the same general look, but it can handle to live with many of those fish.

PenguinTetra38

I like my checkered barbs. I don't know how common/uncommon they are but they aren't the flashiest of barbs, but I like their colors and think they are cool.

Maryellen

Not an overlooked fish at all..but I think harlequin rasboras deserve all the hype and more! rassies are the absolute best, and I will never get bored of watching mine

trackguy77

Mrmarra77 said:
ive added some albino corys(4),I'm thinking about adding 2 more
ive looked up the bloodfin tetras they seem to be hardy fish..since their schooling fish probably about 6..but ill start with 4 if I can find them.

PenguinTetra38

Maryellen said:
Not an overlooked fish at all..but I think harlequin rasboras deserve all the hype and more! rassies are the absolute best, and I will never get bored of watching mine
your rassies got nothin on my porkchops.

Maryellen

PenguinTetra38 said:
your rassies got nothin on my porkchops.
You didn’t- just- xD

Betta'sAnonymous

PenguinTetra38

Maryellen said:
You didn’t- just- xD
it has come to this... I have no words...

Mii

pfft. amateurs. I haven't even finished quarantining them but I can already tell my redline rasboras are superior to your rasboras.

PenguinTetra38

Mii said:
pfft. amateurs. I haven't even finished quarantining them but I can already tell my redline rasboras are superior to your rasboras.
What was that? I don't speak peasant Rasbora.

Maryellen

PenguinTetra38 said:
What was that? I don't speak peasant Rasbora.
Ha! All I have to say are the harlequins
get the biggest, The bigger the better plus the porkchop is like a mini, offbrand version of the harlequin- and where does the name pork chop come from? Are they tasty? I could feed them to my Harles...

edit; they are cute little guys tho..

Mii

Maryellen said:
Ha! All I have to say are the harlequins
get the biggest, The bigger the better plus the porkchop is like a mini, offbrand version of the harlequin- and where does the name pork chop come from? Are they tasty? I could feed them to my Harles...

edit; they are cute little guys tho..
bigger is better yiu say? I'll have you know that redlines can reach over 3 inches! take that!

Maryellen

Mii said:
bigger is better yiu say? I'll have you know that redlines can reach over 3 inches! take that!
I take that back then- good to know !

Mii

Maryellen said:
I take that back then- good to know !
who's the peasant now????

Maryellen

Mii said:
who's the peasant now????
uh...PenguinTetra38 harles are still >> porkchops

GentleGiantsCichlidKeeper

What are some fish that are overrated in your opinion. I'll have some listed that I've heard, but you can say any fish you wanted. Please don't take this post as a offense, degrading of fish, or not caring for living beings. This is for discussion purposes only, enjoy!

Betta'sAnonymous

Some fish in some ways are kind of like certain breeds of dogs, meaning there are some species of both out there that are owned by some people because those people think it makes them "cool". No fish is overrated if you own for the right reasons and actually plan and do take care of it.

GentleGiantsCichlidKeeper

Also, if they're any good poll options I could add to the poll that would be better than I have now please let me know! I can change the options for up to 30 minutes-1 hour so if you see this message please say something!

Dippiedee

Overrated - Honey gourami lol. And discus. And oscars; I like oscars when they're little but a full grown one is low key ugly.

The humble cardinal tetra is underrated; not because they aren't common or even popular but because I don't think many people really appreciate them at their best; in a big school in a moderately to heavily planted tank.

And severums are underrated because people don't seem to love them as much as I do. :rolleyes:

Sanderguy777

Dippiedee said:
Overrated - Honey gourami lol. And discus. And oscars; I like oscars when they're little but a full grown one is low key ugly.

The humble cardinal tetra is underrated; not because they aren't common or even popular but because I don't think many people really appreciate them at their best; in a big school in a moderately to heavily planted tank.

And severums are underrated because people don't seem to love them as much as I do. :rolleyes:
I love severums, but I can't keep them in a 55g...
When I get the mythical 320g I WANT, then I'll probably end up with 5 or 6 with a bunch of geophagus lol

AcornTheBetta

I think someone already said this, but WCMM are SUPER underrated!

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom