Most over rated and under rated fish - Page 2

Out of the selected few, Which of these fish (or fish types) are the most overrated?

• Oscars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • African Cichlids

• Goldfish

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

coleh11

mattgirl said:
The photos the link takes you to really doesn't do these little guys justice. If you like the looks of them in the photos you are going to really love them in real life.
Im trying to pick a tetra for a tank im planning, i was deciding between pristellas, bloodfins and black neons, do you have pics of your bloodfins colored up?

Kribensis27

I would say serpae tetras. They’re usually overlooked in pet stores because they look plain and dull when after being shipped. But if you take them home and give them a big planted tank, they’ll definitely reward you. They get such an intense reddish orange that they can hurt your eyes if you look at them too long. They spend most of their time moving and exploring the tank, so they won’t just sit there either. They also have a reputation for being fin nippers, but I’ve kept them with angelfish and male bettas with no issue. They also have a really fun feeding response.

I also love bleeding heart tetras.

mattgirl

coleh11 said:
Im trying to pick a tetra for a tank im planning, i was deciding between pristellas, bloodfins and black neons, do you have pics of your bloodfins colored up?
Sorry, but with my lack of photography skills I've not been able to get a clear photo of mine. All you would see is a blur. Just imagine pure red fins and an iridescent silver body.

Another underappreciated tetra is one much bigger than most of the ones we've mentioned so far. That one is the red/blue Colombian Tetra. Sadly I only have one left and this one is well over 5 years old now. I bought 4 of them that had been used by someone to cycle their tank and then given back to the store. Unfortunately only one of the 4 survived but this one has been a trooper. It seems to think it is a black skirt tetra because it had hung out with them all its life in this tank.

coleh11

mattgirl said:
Sorry, but with my lack of photography skills I've not been able to get a clear photo of mine. All you would see is a blur. Just imagine pure red fins and an iridescent silver body.

Another underappreciated tetra is one much bigger than most of the ones we've mentioned so far. That one is the red/blue Colombian Tetra. Sadly I only have one left and this one is well over 5 years old now. I bought 4 of them that had been used by someone to cycle their tank and then given back to the store. Unfortunately only one of the 4 survived but this one has been a trooper. It seems to think it is a black skirt tetra because it had hung out with them all its life in this tank.
Thats okay, its so hard to get good pictures of fish, I might just have to pick one and go with it, its so hard to choose!

SpeedyFish

Kribensis27 said:
I would say serpae tetras. They’re usually overlooked in pet stores because they look plain and dull when after being shipped. But if you take them home and give them a big planted tank, they’ll definitely reward you. They get such an intense reddish orange that they can hurt your eyes if you look at them too long. They spend most of their time moving and exploring the tank, so they won’t just sit there either. They also have a reputation for being fin nippers, but I’ve kept them with angelfish and male bettas with no issue. They also have a really fun feeding response.
Love serpae tetras, but yea I heard they do have a reputation on being fin nippers. In my 40 gallon tank right now i have cardinal tetras and pristella tetras and looking to add some red fish. It's either between serpae tereas, ember tetras, or cherry barbs

Aquariumlover1357

I say goldfish. Because they're so easy to breed and normally cheap and have like thousands of eggs every time, they get used as feeder fish and get put in ugly horrible tiny disgusting unhumane(I don't even know what other words to use, I have so many) tanks and conditions just to be used for Tommy's birthday goody bags, and they are so looked over and underappreciated! Even common goldfish are beautiful if looked after properly, and don't get me started on the cute little ranchu goldfish! (also, is it just me, or does someone else feel stunned that they never knew there was a veiltail type goldfish!?... just me? .... ok)

Mouska

Garra flavatra because they are fun to watch and are very social. Once they get used to your tank their colors look really cool with red fins with black spots on a brown grey body. They are pretty good at eating algae.

LeviS

I love cherry barbs in a planted tank, the reds really pop on the males. They are active and I really enjoy them.

Kribensis27

LeviS said:
I love cherry barbs in a planted tank, the reds really pop on the males. They are active and I really enjoy them.
I love them. They’re such fun little fish.

DoubleDutch

Without any doubt : Hemigrammus pulcher

Donovan Jones

Heterandria formosa, hands down my favorite little fish ever. Second favorite are elassoma, but I'm scared to try em cuz i cant be bothered to do live food all the time

Kribensis27

Donovan Jones said:
Heterandria formosa, hands down my favorite little fish ever. Second favorite are elassoma, but I'm scared to try em cuz i cant be bothered to do live food all the time
Ok, I just looked those up, and I will definitely own those eventually. Ok hold on imma make a post asking about those. Anyone who knows about them please respond! Those are adorable!

mimo91088

For me it's guppies. So many hobbyists look down on them as starter fish. But in my opinion no other freshwater fish matches their beauty and behavior.

SouthAmericanCichlids

DoubleDutch said:
Without any doubt : Hemigrammus pulcher
Well they can't be that underated, I mean the guy who named them called them "Pretty Tetras".

Mouska

mimo91088 said:
For me it's guppies. So many hobbyists look down on them as starter fish. But in my opinion no other freshwater fish matches their beauty and behavior.
I really like guppies but I can’t seem to keep them alive, the only guppy I have left is one large female mosaic guppy. But if I could keep them alive I would have a overgrown jungle for them.

Bettamay

I have to say guppies have lots of personality. Literally, my guppy loves playing with the bubbles. ALL DAY. NONSTOP. I’m pretty sure she does it through the night too lol.

I’m surprised this hasn’t been mentioned yet - bettas. They’re over appreciated and under appreciated at the same time. They have lots of personality too, and every one of them deserves to live as a king/queen in a 20 gallon tank.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Mouska did you change your profile pic?

Mouska

SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Mouska did you change your profile pic?
Yes I changed my profile pic, it’s now my second male kribensis and his babies.

erinw347

I would say kuhli loaches. People don’t talk about how they’re unbelievably hardy, adorable, have lots of personality, adorable, easy to care for, adorable... did i mention they were cute?
For real though. People don’t really think of them as a beginner fish because they are pretty shy, but if they’re comfortable you will see them quite a bit. They have no physical boundaries with each other and it’s hilarious, they just crawl over each other.

Delcos

TClare

Festivums - I really like them but they don't seem to be very popular.

HolyKamikaziBetta

BettasAreSuperior

erinw347 said:
I would say kuhli loaches. People don’t talk about how they’re unbelievably hardy, adorable, have lots of personality, adorable, easy to care for, adorable... did i mention they were cute?
For real though. People don’t really think of them as a beginner fish because they are pretty shy, but if they’re comfortable you will see them quite a bit. They have no physical boundaries with each other and it’s hilarious, they just crawl over each other.
Agree. Khuli loaches have amazing personalities and they are adorable. People shy away from khulis because they are nocturnal and shy. But if you give them a nice big planted tank with good food and some tlc, you will see some amazing fish.

haha, lol! They sit on top of each other like lil' noodles.

Kribensis27

BettasAreSuperior said:
Agree. Khuli loaches have amazing personalities and they are adorable. People shy away from khulis because they are nocturnal and shy. But if you give them a nice big planted tank with good food and some tlc, you will see some amazing fish.

haha, lol! They sit on top of each other like lil' noodles.
I’ve always stayed away from kuhlis because I thought I would never see them. I’ve always loved them, but I don’t want something that just adds ammonia to my tank without me ever seeing it. I know the next addition to my 20 gallon!

Ghelfaire

Pristella tetras and black neons for me. Just because they aren't as colorful as some of the other popular fish doesn't mean they aren't pretty.
Also female bettas, they are just as cute as the males without the swimming issues of the males (dumbo fins being the exception). I also find that they have more personality.

erinw347

Kribensis27 said:
I’ve always stayed away from kuhlis because I thought I would never see them. I’ve always loved them, but I don’t want something that just adds ammonia to my tank without me ever seeing it. I know the next addition to my 20 gallon!
I really recommend them! Mine always come out when it’s time to eat, they’re super cute.
Edit: also, the bigger the school the more comfortable theyll be! I recommend 6 for a 20g

BettasAreSuperior

Kribensis27 said:
Actually, I watched a video. The lady in the video has khuli loaches. She says in a moderately planted tank with good food the khulis are out all the time in front of the glass! I highly recommend them! Give them a try. (if you want)

Kribensis27

BettasAreSuperior said:
Actually, I watched a video. The lady in the video has khuli loaches. She says in a moderately planted tank with good food the khulis are out all the time in front of the glass! I highly recommend them! Give them a try. (if you want)
Ok, I’m definitely getting some as soon as I replace some equipment on my empty (but planted and cycled) 20 gallon.

BettasAreSuperior

Kribensis27 said:
Ok, I’m definitely getting some as soon as I replace some equipment on my empty (but planted and cycled) 20 gallon.
Yay!

Demeter

Glow light danios, not to be confused with glolight danios. Not too many people seem to have them but their colors are fantastic and they are good nano fish. Easy to breed as well!

KribensisLover1

SpeedyFish said:
Just wondering what's your most over looked or under appreciated fish you love? For me it's the Pristella Tetra. It's something about their color and how they look when schooling together.

I asked this question because I was at the LFS and saw them and the worker gave me extras because she mentioned nobody buys them and they're not popular.
I love mine. Need to get more. They stay so tiny too!

KribensisLover1

I love dojo loaches so much and truly my most fun fish to watch BY FAR were my golden panda mollies. Bright and not skittish and tons of activity.

Boltaction

I’m a new fish keeper so I haven’t kept many types, but I’d say Bolivian Rams.

I originally wanted to keep angels but after research found out my tank is probably too small. Bolivian‘s seemed good compromise for a 36 gallon. I called 10 LFS’s in the area and most of them told me they don’t usually stock Bolivian’s since no one wants them due to their dull coloration. I was offered the more common German blues.

On the 10th call I finally found a place with Bolivian Rams and they are great fish. Got 4 and kept 2 and I think my 2 are pairing off. (Pictures below) They have great personalities, very active and graceful, and definitely colorful! I would recommend them to anyone looking to keep a cichlid but can’t swing a large tank.

Unknown9182

I would say red eye tetras because they have a classic silver look like a knight in armor, the red coloring of their eye makes it look like they are watching you or that they are menacing (but they aren’t), and finally the black stripe on the fins gives it a finishing look. I always see a abundant amount at fish/pet stores.

TClare

I am really surprised about Bolivian rams being mentioned here as it seems to me they are very popular according the the forums. I see them recommended often and many seem to list them among their favourites. Now try to find any recent posts about festivums......

JettsPapa

I think one of the most under-utilized fish is sparkling gouramis. I've only been keeping them for a few weeks, but I really enjoy watching them, and they're beautiful little fish.

jkkgron2

Endlers Livebearers are some of my favorite fish. This isn’t so much an overlooked fish but it’s just not as common as other species. It’s fun watching them grow and they have really fun personalities.

HolyKamikaziBetta

Danio.
I love them. My LFS sells them for 1$. They have quite a few varieties and they’re gorgeous

SouthAmericanCichlids

Well I think I'll reboot this thread again. I think swordtail are WAYYYYY underrated, I think they are a centerpiece/show fish. They may be on the small side but they use the whole tank, they will stand out more than anything else, and the sword the males have is gorgeous. I just don't think they get enough love or get put in their rightful place as a centerpiece fish.

Betta'sAnonymous

I don't see a lot of love for tiger barbs. Actually swim in a school unlike a lot of schooling fish. Watching a wall of them swim around is impressive. I find it almost hypnotizing. Also, is entertaining watching them sort out their social structure within their school.

A201

I think my Berdmorei Tiger Loach is a little underrated. They aren't very common and rarely come up in conversation.

20201202_205059.jpg

trackguy77

mattgirl said:
I would have to say Blood Fin tetras. I seldom ever see them mentioned but they are beautiful little guys. I also really like their activity level. They are seldom still. They spend the majority of their time following each other all over the tank but are mostly in the top portion of the tank. I have 8 and would love to get a few more.
Are they compatible with other fish like glofish tetras, corys and plecos???

jkkgron2

Mrmarra77 said:
Are they compatible with other fish like glofish tetras, corys and plecos???
Yup, I have them in a couple of my tanks and they’re amazing! I’ve kept them with corys and plecos, and I think they’ll do well with glofish tetras.

Fisch

mattgirl said:
I would have to say Blood Fin tetras. I seldom ever see them mentioned but they are beautiful little guys. I also really like their activity level. They are seldom still. They spend the majority of their time following each other all over the tank but are mostly in the top portion of the tank. I have 8 and would love to get a few more.
They are on my list as well....hard to come by, though.

Kribensis27

Fisch said:
They are on my list as well....hard to come by, though.
Really? We have them at PetSmart here.

Mandy627

I see alot of tiger barbs, mollies, platys and tetras... I saw a few people say diamond tetras are overlooked but so many people keep them, petco has them...rarely do I find a person who keeps killifish. Especially gardneri killi, they lay eggs all the time and I get credit at LFS for donating their babies. They are probably the brightest colored fresh water fish that I know of.

AggressiveAquatics

Technically not fish but ghost shrimp are not given the attention they deserve they are awesome and only like 50 cents

Oliver T.

I don't see enough people recommending white cloud mountain minnows. Gold body with black spots, red fins with white tips and they can live happily in a coldwater tank. There affordable and can be found relatively easily in many pet shops. Easily my first choice when I need a schooling fish in my setups

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom