Most over rated and under rated fish

Out of the selected few, Which of these fish (or fish types) are the most overrated?

  • Oscars

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • African Cichlids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goldfish

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    2
  • Poll closed .

Jaquatic

Member
What fish do you think is the most over rated and under rated.

Figured it would be fun to pass time while most of us are at home. Feel free to post your reasonings behind why you think they are over rated/under rated

Over rated- Arowana
Under rated-White cloud minnows
 

FinalFins

Member

StarGirl

Member
Overrated- Betta
Underrated- SAE
 

david1978

Member
These are another under rated fish.
Ameca splendens (Butterfly Goodeid)
 

KingJamal2

Member
Johnb114 said:
What fish do you think is the most over rated and under rated.

Figured it would be fun to pass time while most of us are at home. Feel free to post your reasonings behind why you think they are over rated/under rated

Over rated- Arowana
Under rated-White cloud minnows
Overrated: guppies and other Livebearers

Underrated: Shell dwellers (specifically neolamprologus multifasciatus)
 

FinalFins

Member
david1978 said:
These are another under rated fish.
Ameca splendens (Butterfly Goodeid)
And lima humpbacks
 

JettsPapa

Member

CoryBoi

Member

goldface

Member
Overrated: betta
Underrated: common goldfish or non-fancy goldfish in general.
 

RiverFisher87

Member
Overrated- oscars
Underrated-jack Dempsey
 

pattersonbear

Member
overrated- neon tetras
underrated- female bettas (It makes me so sad when females aren't wanted because their fins are shorter or they're less colourful and they are therefore 'less pretty'), ember tetras
 

PascalKrypt

Member
Overrated: Long-fin domestic bettas, especially veilteils and doubletails (sorry but to me that is a physical defect, no personal offense intended to anyone)
Underrated: Paradise Fish
Seriously, they are nowhere near as aggressive as people who have apparently never kept them keep advertising. And they are stunning, completely flexible in terms of water parameters including temperature, plus they are healthy with a solid lifespan unlike certain die-for-no-reason inbred fish.

Non-labyrinth, because obviously it'd be about those.

Overrated: Tetras - why does every centerpiece tankmate have to be a boring tetra?
Underrated: Pencilfish, Lampeyes, robust killis like Wonder Panchax and Blue Lyretails, and Dwarf/Blue-Eyed Rainbowfish
 

Addictedtobettas

Member
I actually agree that over rated are Domestic Bettas. I love them but I think they’re overbred, inbred, poorly bred (whatever term you want to apply) and left with incredible physical (and lets be honest, mental issues) troubles that most owners (myself included) are not prepared for and may never be able to help them heal from. Being plopped on a shelf as a show piece in a bowl. (Goldfish are up there for me as well as anything Glo)

Conversely I’d say wild bettas are far underrated. They can have decent personalities, get along better in community tanks, have unique and exotic colorings (without the breeding), and are much healthier.
Also SAE.. they are super quirky fish that have a ton of personality and fairly decent genetics.
 

goldface

Member
I do find wild bettas charming. I can't remember the species, but my LFS carried a few and the employees had difficulty tracking them, cause they'd tank hop, so you'd never really knew where they were hiding.
 

A201

Member
Over rated: Discus. Beautiful boredom.
Under rated: Any of the Botia Loaches.
 

PascalKrypt

Member
scarface said:
I do find wild bettas charming. I can't remember the species, but my LFS carried a few and the employees had difficulty tracking them, cause they'd tank hop, so you'd never really knew where they were hiding.
I was actually thinking about putting them as "underrated", but at least around here they aren't. They are so highly sought after I haven't yet managed to buy a pair despite the supplier having a separate page devoted to them, because their stock always sells out on the day they put them up.

Addictedtobettas said:
I actually agree that over rated are Domestic Bettas. I love them but I think they’re overbred, inbred, poorly bred (whatever term you want to apply) and left with incredible physical troubles that most owners (myself included) are not prepared for and may never be able to help them heal from. Being plopped on a shelf as a show piece in a bowl. (Goldfish are up there for me as well as anything Glo)

Conversely I’d say wild bettas are far underrated. They can have decent personalities, get along better in community tanks, have unique and exotic colorings (without the breeding), and are much healthier.
Also SAE.. they are super quirky fish that have a ton of personality and fairly decent genetics.
I have a strict policy against inbreeding my own bettas, I purposely buy unrelated ones for breeding and don't any inline/backcross, and I have to say even just 1 generation, the offspring is quite hardy. I've recently thought to move back to breeding wildcolour splendens, as I'm guessing they are much less inbred (plus they can just be crossed with any colour plakat and come out mostly wildcolour).

There are so many interesting colours of wild betta though, indeed! I think what might make them less popular is that a sizeable portion outside the splendens complex have special parameter demands, which is beyond the average hobbyist, and many of them are relatively shy and make for poor specimens on sale in a loud, bright shop with a hundred other boisterous fish.
 

CoryBoi

Member
StarGirl15 said:
What happened to goldfish? lol
I realized overrated was not the correct word for them, more like misunderstood, or mistreated.
 

MissPanda

Member
Overrated: betta

Underrated: pea puffer

I only say this because I just got a pea puffer and I never knew how curious they are. He comes right out to see me and he looks like a fat helicopter.
 

FathomtheFish

Member
Overrated: GloFish, tetras, rasboras, and livebearers.

Underrated: all bettas, Asian stone minI catfish, and sparkling gourami. Also lungfish.

I say bettas are underrated because of their lovely personalities that most short-term fishkeepers overlook, their compatibility (most people assume that all bettas are solitary and MUst be kept alone; my bettas love playing with their tankmates) and other reasons.

I'm adding goldfish to the underrated list
 

Addictedtobettas

Member
PascalKrypt said:
I was actually thinking about putting them as "underrated", but at least around here they aren't. They are so highly sought after I haven't yet managed to buy a pair despite the supplier having a separate page devoted to them, because their stock always sells out on the day they put them up.


I have a strict policy against inbreeding my own bettas, I purposely buy unrelated ones for breeding and don't any inline/backcross, and I have to say even just 1 generation, the offspring is quite hardy. I've recently thought to move back to breeding wildcolour splendens, as I'm guessing they are much less inbred (plus they can just be crossed with any colour plakat and come out mostly wildcolour).

There are so many interesting colours of wild betta though, indeed! I think what might make them less popular is that a sizeable portion outside the splendens complex have special parameter demands, which is beyond the average hobbyist, and many of them are relatively shy and make for poor specimens on sale in a loud, bright shop with a hundred other boisterous fish.
I was tempted to buy a pair of Wilds when I was in Seattle lately. They had several sets in community tanks. But I had this lame idea I’d still be able to get one of my domestics in the community tank. :/

Do you post your bettas online or just take to lfs?
 

PascalKrypt

Member
Addictedtobettas said:
I was tempted to buy a pair of Wilds when I was in Seattle lately. They had several sets in community tanks. But I had this lame idea I’d still be able to get one of my domestics in the community tank. :/

Do you post your bettas online or just take to lfs?
We have a thriving online marketplace where people sell and buy by the hundreds a day (national, not aquabid). It's really easy for me to get rid of offspring, in the case of bettas for a decent bit too.
 

Sanderguy777

Member
I think that livebearers are oversold to underappreciative people. They are fun little fish that can fill a tank in a few generations from a $16 or $20 investment.

Overrated: every fish sold as an "algae eater". Most will eat it, but people buy them to eradicate it amd then wonder why it dies without being fed of housed with correct tank mates. (I am guilty of this too, but just saying)
 

Sanderguy777

Member
PascalKrypt said:
We have a thriving online marketplace where people sell and buy by the hundreds a day (national, not aquabid). It's really easy for me to get rid of offspring, in the case of bettas for a decent bit too.
Is that the buy, sell, trade page here on FishLore?
 

PascalKrypt

Member
Sanderguy777 said:
Is that the buy, sell, trade page here on FishLore?
No, it's a genuine website.
A bit like ebay, but because of its regional nature it is mostly just second-hand trading/selling/buying, not really commercialised. It's extremely popular.
Here is a link if you want to have a look:
The first 2-3 pages are usually sponsored posts (mostly shops, but also some individuals), but after those a lot of it is people selling their own fish. There turnover is currently about 450-500 posts with offers a day, some of them get snagged right away.

Sending live fish by delivery is largely illegal here btw, so you have to pick them up yourself.
 

86 ssinit

Member
Overrated: bettas (all of them)
Under : bosemanI rainbowfish. Just a great fish, beautiful colors,long life, easy to keep and breed (though mine grow very slow) and will go in most community tanks.
 

Addictedtobettas

Member
PascalKrypt said:
No, it's a genuine website.
A bit like ebay, but because of its regional nature it is mostly just second-hand trading/selling/buying, not really commercialised. It's extremely popular.
Here is a link if you want to have a look:
The first 2-3 pages are usually sponsored posts (mostly shops, but also some individuals), but after those a lot of it is people selling their own fish. There turnover is currently about 450-500 posts with offers a day, some of them get snagged right away.

Sending live fish by delivery is largely illegal here btw, so you have to pick them up yourself.
Tempting fish there. Really beautiful!!
 

Sanderguy777

Member
PascalKrypt said:
No, it's a genuine website.
A bit like ebay, but because of its regional nature it is mostly just second-hand trading/selling/buying, not really commercialised. It's extremely popular.
Here is a link if you want to have a look:
The first 2-3 pages are usually sponsored posts (mostly shops, but also some individuals), but after those a lot of it is people selling their own fish. There turnover is currently about 450-500 posts with offers a day, some of them get snagged right away.

Sending live fish by delivery is largely illegal here btw, so you have to pick them up yourself.
Oh, for some reason I thought you meant INTERnational. My bad. I live in the US, but still a cool website!
 

qldmick

Member
overrated - any fancy goldfish.
underrated - algae eaters, mine (albino bristlenose, goldspot, sailfin) those ones actually save me 95% of my glass cleaning.
 

KribensisLover1

Member
FinalFins said:
Overrated- bettas and discus
underrated-pygmy sunfish
They are stunning (PS) but where can they be purchased? I found them long ago online and could never find any in any stores.
 

FinalFins

Member
SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart said:
They are stunning (PS) but where can they be purchased? I found them long ago online and could never find any in any stores.
If you live in their native locations like in florida, you may be able to collect them(assuming local laws allow that). Otherwise they are usually not as commonly offered. Aquabid had a couple of cases a month or so back.
 

pattersonbear

Member
FathomtheFish said:
Asian stone minI catfish
I totally agree!!!

I have another one;
Overrated - Goldfish (because people don't know how to care for them properly.)
Underrated - nerite snails. You can disagree with me but I have one in my 5 gallon and had one in my ten gallon and I have never even seen algae in either, even though I have the lights on for 8+ hours a day.
 

chromedome52

Member
Overrated - Plecos in general. Yeah, some are quite beautiful, if you ever get to see them. They like to hide their light under the bushelbasket, so to speak.

Underrated - South American Killifish, particularly Rivulus. Some scientists have broken that up into several genera, but it's still an overall grouping. They have a reputation for being "small brown fish", but there are some real stunners, like xiphidius, aka the Neon Rivulus.
 

FathomtheFish

Member
I definitely agree with plecos being overrated.
 

SpeedyFish

Member
Just wondering what's your most over looked or under appreciated fish you love? For me it's the Pristella Tetra. It's something about their color and how they look when schooling together.

I asked this question because I was at the LFS and saw them and the worker gave me extras because she mentioned nobody buys them and they're not popular.
 

mattgirl

Member
I would have to say Blood Fin tetras. I seldom ever see them mentioned but they are beautiful little guys. I also really like their activity level. They are seldom still. They spend the majority of their time following each other all over the tank but are mostly in the top portion of the tank. I have 8 and would love to get a few more.
 

MomeWrath

Member
diamond tetras. They are just a little grey sorta sparkly fish when they are sold as youngsters...but then you get a full grown male and they are stunning, plus they alternate between tightly schooling and just all over the place, but never hide. I think it goes for a lot of tetras that you just can't appreciate them at the pet store without knowing what they will grow in to!
 

Kribensis27

Member
MomeWrath said:
diamond tetras. They are just a little grey sorta sparkly fish when they are sold as youngsters...but then you get a full grown male and they are stunning, plus they alternate between tightly schooling and just all over the place, but never hide. I think it goes for a lot of tetras that you just can't appreciate them at the pet store without knowing what they will grow in to!
Want these guys so baaad!!!
 

MomeWrath

Member
Kribensis27 said:
Want these guys so baaad!!!
I have eleven of them, and i bought them as filler fish but really I wouldn't mind rehoming all my cichlids and just getting more of these. Plus they get big for a tetra. I have a couple of males that I'd put at 2.5" easily.
 

Kribensis27

Member
mattgirl said:
I would have to say Blood Fin tetras. I seldom ever see them mentioned but they are beautiful little guys. I also really like their activity level. They are seldom still. They spend the majority of their time following each other all over the tank but are mostly in the top portion of the tank. I have 8 and would love to get a few more.
I love blood fins. They’re so pretty, and the red gets super intense when they’re happy. They also seem to sparkle under the lights.
 

ferg42995

Member
Those Blood Fins are pretty! I'm planning on trying to have Rummynose but if they don't work, these are a similar option as far as how they look. Beautiful!
 

mattgirl

Member
ferg42995 said:
Those Blood Fins are pretty! I'm planning on trying to have Rummynose but if they don't work, these are a similar option as far as how they look. Beautiful!
The photos the link takes you to really doesn't do these little guys justice. If you like the looks of them in the photos you are going to really love them in real life.
 

veggieshark

Member
There are so many tetras that are great looking and good candidates for communities, but we all have such limited tank space. If I could I would have every single one of them. Instead, I keep them for a while and then replace with the next. If you succeed to breed them and raise the fry, then it may be time to consider the next. (Key is to not add, but actually replace the species so the theme of your tank continues to exist.) Otherwise, there is not enough space and time to enjoy all of them

Going with the original question, as underappreciated fish I can bring up several cold water natives of North America. There are some very beautiful daces and minnows that could go into interesting mixes.
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom