Most hardy fish

wolfman21
I'm just curious, what do you all think is the most hardy fish out there?

Tom
Sabi
common plecos
koi
goldfish
guppies

COBettaCouple
manjil
Guppies/plecos

Neville
Danios, Irridescent Sharks, Common Plecos, Tiger barbs.:;pumpkin

Allie
From my experience, MalawI African cichlids were/are the most hardy. None have died due to diseases, not even the few pet store ones we've had. Two have died on me over the past 1.5 years of keeping africans...one I squished with a rock (oppsy) and the other got murdered by a tank mate.
I've lost everything from kribs, betta, mollies, male angelfish ect...all to diseases.

0morrokh
I think it depends more on where they're coming from and their breeding than their species.

Allie
I think it depends more on where they're coming from and their breeding than their species.
True...but I do believe that some species are tougher/hardier. Angelfish are cichlids too but I have had bad luck with them dying on me. Betta live up to 5 years, but some cichlids can live 15 years. I think it depends on their life span to begin with. JMO

guppiemaster892
I am just a beginner, but I have some gold barbs and they are kinda hardy, but I don't know about ur fish.

0morrokh
True...but I do believe that some species are tougher/hardier. Angelfish are cichlids too but I have had bad luck with them dying on me. Betta live up to 5 years, but some cichlids can live 15 years. I think it depends on their life span to begin with. JMO

I agree...what I meant to say was that while certain species have the potential to be hardier than others, how hardy individual fish are can vary a lot. For example, a few years ago I had a couple Platys from either Petco or Petsmart that were almost always sickly, definitely not hardy fish. However, I recently picked up a trio of Platys from my lfs, which takes much better care of their fish and gets better stock in the first place, and they are very healthy, tolerant fish, definitely hardy.

Tayful
Zebra danios, for sure.

Sabi
True...but I do believe that some species are tougher/hardier. Angelfish are cichlids too but I have had bad luck with them dying on me.
I don't think angels are that timid. They are very sensitive to uncycled tanks and get weak/sick fast in bad water conditions but I think they can come near to being hardy as long as they are kept correctly. It beats me howcome you lost them, but then it happens???.I lost 2 in 9 months, 1 due to disease and one mysteriously.
I agree with you on the african cichlids. The big ones are absolutely hardy, the smaller, hardy, but not as the bigger ones.

0morrokh
I agree...what I meant to say was that while certain species have the potential to be hardier than others, how hardy individual fish are can vary a lot. For example, a few years ago I had a couple Platys from either Petco or Petsmart that were almost always sickly, definitely not hardy fish. However, I recently picked up a trio of Platys from my lfs, which takes much better care of their fish and gets better stock in the first place, and they are very healthy, tolerant fish, definitely hardy.
I see what you mean and it makes sense.

Tio
I have tetras platties mollies and plecos.platties are the only ones that never died once I got them home.lost one of my three tetras,3 of my 4 mollies and both my plecos but all my platties survived and breeding.need to get some more mollies mine is lonley and more plecos .I had chocolte albino plecos.:

theyellowdartmti
zebra danios

janoue
I would say its a toss up between Comets and Platy's. I've had very good luck with Platy's.

janoue
But then again look what Betta's go threw before they finally make it to a decent home!!

Tio
oh ya forgot about may betta had him for years,he was in my big tank for awhile

susitna-flower
The most hardy fish I have had was a common pleco.

IN THE BEGINNING......when I didn't know better, I was using salt in my tank, as has been questioned by many. This poor pleco, every time I would change water, his slime coat would "sluff", leaving long stringy patches gone, and in a couple of days he would be all "whole" again. He never got sick, and I ended trading him when he got over a foot long, in my 55 gallon tank.

Many other fish have been with me through all my learning curve, but he stands out as very hardy.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
justmerich
  • Question
Replies
Views
CHJ
Replies
Views
Dave125g
Replies