• Fish are for kids

Votes: 16 14.2%
  • Other (post below)

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Fish are low maintenance pets

Votes: 48 42.5%

• Total voters
josh40996
what do you guys think the most common misconception is about fish?

pirahnah3
you can buy a tank and set it up with fish the same day or even the next day.

sirdarksol
Similar to Pirahnah3's statement, the most common misconception, I think, is that fish are low-maintenance pets.

gourami88
yes to the low maintenance...and really it isn't too hard if you keep up on it. It really isn't that bad IF you know what you are doing and keep up with it. And people tend to think smaller tanks will be easier...they are much more maintenance and upkeep than a larger tank!

Emerald_Rose
That they're boring! When I recently got into this hobby I had NO idea how much I'd love keeping my fish, and now most of my friends think I'm mad. But this is just because they think they're a boring pet to choose, but how wrong they are

wisecrackerz
That they're boring! When I recently got into this hobby I had NO idea how much I'd love keeping my fish, and now most of my friends think I'm mad. But this is just because they think they're a boring pet to choose, but how wrong they are

AHAHA! I agree with this one; my friends who aren't into fish all think I'm a total nutjob. And I am, but my loving fish has nothing to do with that.

And fish ARE for kids! Not ONLY for kids, but I think having a fish is good for a kid (with adult supervision, just like any other child's pet); it helps teach them responsibility, and respect for living creatures, and they're pretty calming for younger kids. And, I mean, come on, "fish, the fun family friend for all ages"!

sirdarksol
yes to the low maintenance...and really it isn't too hard if you keep up on it. It really isn't that bad IF you know what you are doing and keep up with it. And people tend to think smaller tanks will be easier...they are much more maintenance and upkeep than a larger tank!

It's not bad, but it's more work than a cat. I have three cats. I feed them, give them periodic nail trims, and change the bag in their Litter Robot (best purchase ever) once a week. Less work than the weekly water changes and gravel vacs I do for my fish tanks.

ariolex
you can buy a tank and set it up with fish the same day or even the next day.

+1
That's what I see and hear more often.

IMHO, fish (with some exceptions, like Discus or species that require live foods) can be considered low-maintence pets (if you know what you are doing) when compared to lets say horses

gourami88
I guess i'm comparing it to our horses I've always cared for and had an array of animals and fish are by far some of the easiest so long as you understand what maintenance needs to be done and keep up with it.

wisecrackerz
Yeah... having chased the following pets (not all my own):
-dog
-cat
-bird
-gecko
-horse
-cow
-chicken
-sheep
-goat
-alpaca
-lama
-buffalo
-dojo loach
the fish was by FAR the easiest to catch, so low maint. in the respect that they largely stay in their tanks and don't harass the neighbors.

sirdarksol
Catching cats isn't difficult at all. When my cats are actively hiding (even if they are ignoring the calls of "Fishy, fishy, fishy" which means that they're getting treats), it takes me about a minute to catch them. It takes me ten minutes or more to net one of my kuhlI loaches.
In addition: Water change and gravel vac on my 90g tank takes about 45 minutes of my time (though I don't need to pay attention for about half an hour of that).
Changing the cats' litter box takes me less than a minute (okay, five minutes if I didn't have the Litter Robot.
Feeding the cats is probably another thirty seconds a day over the fish.
Trimming the claws is about the same amount of time as is spent doing water quality tests.
Yep. I definitely spend more time maintaining one of my tanks than I spend in keeping all three of my cats happy.
In the past, we've discussed the same topic, and quite a few members who own cats have come to the same conclusion.

I'm not considering farm animals as typical pets. They certainly can be pets, but they are not common pets specifically because they are high maintenance. They require a lot of work (mucking out stalls, brushing, etc...)

Borisbbadd
I voted for goldfish live in bowls...most people have no idea how much room goldfish really need.

ploopy
I voted fish are low maintance, but could have voted on any one of them.

shelleyd2008
I voted that bettas don't need heat and goldfish can live in bowls, I think both of these are 'common knowledge' to most mis-informed people.

pirahnah3
I agree Sir, having owned a couple cats as well (which I unfortunately just lost back at the beginning of the year which lead me back to fishkeeping) they were easy. Fish are more complex. Thou it was nice to have them curl up with you on the couch...

bassbonediva
I chose other for the reason that the most common misconception I come across is that fish will only grow to fit the size of the tank they are housed in. This is closely followed by the misconception that fish are not long-lived pets and are only "supposed" to live a few months.

Makena95'GT
Mine would be that fish don't have the ability to think or feel. That you can just toss them while they're alive and they won't feel a thing. Or treat them terribly and they'll be fine.

catsma_97504
I chose other.....

For me, the great misconception is that fish are disposable, brainless, no sensory perception, etc.

These types of statements just make my blood boil. How can anyone keep fish and not come to understand they have enough intelligence to recognize who is the giver of food or hides to avoid the pain caused by their tank mates who relentlessly bite, chase or other harrass them while sick?

Aquarist
Good morning,

I voted for "Fish have a 3 second memory" If fish only had a 3 second memory, my fish would not greet me every morning after the tank lights come on for their feeding. They do not approach the glass every time that I walk into my fish room or up to the tanks. They know when feeding time is. 7 AM. (so to speak)

Ken

wisecrackerz
sorry but ROFL @ Ken; my bettas need their beauty sleep. If I try to feed them before like 9, they just ignore it. That's probably because that's what they're trained to, though. I'll admit that most farm animals are pretty high maint. pets, but I still feel like fish are less work than a dog (I don't get yelled at for letting the fish on the couch or letting them eat off my dinner plate). Never had a cat; (scary allergic) but it sounds like they're pretty minimal effort pets.
Sounds like Makena and Catsma both have a good point; that fish don't feel is a sad, sad misconception. I got into quite a bit of trouble during a bio lab because of that same argument about frogs... "Look, dude, I don't care if you give me a 0, you can't MAKE me do that to an animal while it's still alive." (Later) "I have no idea what happened to him, sir, and no, I didn't have a water bottle when I first came in here. You must me thinking of last week."
But I think I've heard BassBoneDiva's a little too often for comfort, too. "Well, THAT's why they got so big, you put them in too big a tank! If you kept them in a smaller tank, they wouldn't have grown so much."

gourami88
I chose other for the reason that the most common misconception I come across is that fish will only grow to fit the size of the tank they are housed in. This is closely followed by the misconception that fish are not long-lived pets and are only "supposed" to live a few months.

This one is really a sad misconception simply because of the pain the fish will go through during the stunting process. And a lot of people really do not understand that most fish live a couple years at least, and much longer in some cases. Personally I feel that, while misleading LFS employees are definetly a problem, the responsibility falls on the owner (or potential owner). If you are looking at getting a puppy (especially a pure-bred) you would research the different breeds, their characteristics and general temperments, any special needs...you would do this if you were getting a lizard, a cat....why not with fish!

Also another pet peeve of mine is the excuse of not having enough money to properly take care of a particular fishes needs (most notably on tank size). With the exception of rescues or other unforseen events, if a person cannot provide the proper tank and equipement for a fish they should NOT get it...yet it seems that isn't much of a deterant.If you can't afford to give the fish the right size of tank then don't get it and allow it to suffer in a tank that is much too small. LOL sorry about the rant...just one of the big issues I have.

Aquarist
Good morning,

No need to be "sorry" Wisecrackerz. I can't help the fact that I have smart fish with eidetic memories! lol

Seriously though, I think their memories are a bit more than 3 seconds.

Have a good day everyone!

Ken

sirdarksol
Seriously though, I think their memories are a bit more than 3 seconds.

The 3-second-memory belief was busted by Mythbusters. It took them a very short span of time to teach goldfish to travel a maze.
That episode also did a little bit to teach people that you can't just drop fish into an aquarium and call it good.

Aquarist
Thanks SDS!

Ken

Redshark1
Like Ken I voted for "3 second memory" as that was freshest in my mind (!)

Another one was "fish don't feel pain" - natural selection would soon sort that one out!

josh40996
The 3-second-memory belief was busted by Mythbusters. It took them a very short span of time to teach goldfish to travel a maze.
That episode also did a little bit to teach people that you can't just drop fish into an aquarium and call it good.

I never seen that episode, I must remember to watch it since I'm a huge mythbusters fan (I wonder how I missed it!)

Disc61
I would have to say it is still Goldfish live in bowls. but I think low Maintanence is a close second.

wisecrackerz
I would have to say it is still Goldfish live in bowls. but I think low Maintanence is a close second.

Someday, when I win the lotto, I'm going to get some local glass blowers to help me out, and make me a 150G bowl. I will keep goldfish in it. And I will post pictures of it, and call it a work of living art, titled "The only good goldfish bowl".

Disc61
Someday, when I win the lotto, I'm going to get some local glass blowers to help me out, and make me a 150G bowl. I will keep goldfish in it. And I will post pictures of it, and call it a work of living art, titled "The only good goldfish bowl".

hahaha, 150 gal bowl. that would be awesome. we'll be waiting.

gourami88
Yeah, but where ya gonna put a bowl that big??

Jayfeather9
I voted for fish need low maintainability cause I have heard that mentioned every where!

Everythingzen

Next to the pond? An above ground and a below ground goldfish pool. arty0011:

e_watson09
I chose other.

Working at a pet store the BIGGEST one I hear and the one that people will argue until they prove me wrong (I don't argue back, I just try to inform them and if they don't listen I tell them my job is to make them spend money do you think I'm doing my job by telling you not to buy this fish?) is *drumroll*

That the fish will only grow to the size of the tank.

Oh and another common one is....
the inch per gallon rule only around here its inch of current size of the fish (usually people round down 2" long fish and only count them as 1")

I surprisingly only get asked about goldfish in bowls every once in a while.

josh40996
I chose other.

Working at a pet store the BIGGEST one I hear and the one that people will argue until they prove me wrong (I don't argue back, I just try to inform them and if they don't listen I tell them my job is to make them spend money do you think I'm doing my job by telling you not to buy this fish?) is *drumroll*

That the fish will only grow to the size of the tank.

Oh and another common one is....
the inch per gallon rule only around here its inch of current size of the fish (usually people round down 2" long fish and only count them as 1")

I surprisingly only get asked about goldfish in bowls every once in a while.

yeah, I know what you mean by the inch per gallon rule... Here in the uk, I can't think of anyone who I now who keeps goldfish (or any fish) in anything but a bowl -_-

wisecrackerz

I'm gonna put it in the center of my Fishy-Relaxation room, as like a center piece. And it's gonna have a sign on it that says "Your bowl must be at list this big to ride the goldfish ride."

Next to the pond? An above ground and a below ground goldfish pool. arty0011:

I also like this idea, but I'm saving my in-ground fish-pool for an SA red tail. I will do laps with him. And train him not to eat my dog... or me...

In all seriousness, though, that's a good approximation. If you won't fit in your goldfish's tank, then you probably shouldn't put him in there, either.

Homedog98
I agree with the fish only grow to the size of their tank.

gourami88
I agree with the fish only grow to the size of their tank.

This one irks me quite a bit. I've had people argue with me on this so I just ask point blank if we put a puppy, kitten or baby in a small tank does that mean they only grow to the tank size as well and will be happy and healthy? And is it not cruel??

Shine
fish only grow to the size of their tank.
that one has my vote

I shared this line with my dad once and he had a great response for it:

"Its true that they only grow to fit the tank" *pause* "because they won't live long enough to get bigger"

Homedog98
^^^ frustrating, but for most people true.

Jaysee
it is true that they will grow to the size of the tank.....because they can't grow bigger than the tank...

I voted for goldfish in bowls.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
nikm128
Replies
Views
thepianoguy
Replies
Views
david1978
Replies