Question Most affordable way to get multiple tons of rocks?

Lucyn

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've been doing some extensive research on the process of constructing large ponds. The price of everything seems more than achievable/realistic. The one thing that seems a little absurd is the price of bulk rocks. I did the calculations of all the costs to start a project like this, and rocks make nearly 40% of the total cost if I were to buy from a place like Home Depot. It just seems insane that I'm paying nearly the most for rocks of all things! It's a pretty big project, something like 7,000-10,000 ft3, so it'll be quite a lot of rocks. I was just wondering if there was anyway anyone has gotten loads of rock for a realistic price? Other than digging in your backyard, of course. I don't care if they're not very appealing to the eye, a lot of it would just be filler rocks or for the planned filtration.

OP
Lucyn

Lucyn

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nickguy5467 said:
go to a quary with a pick axe? go on an adventure in the hills pick up rocks put em in your bag? ive never shopped for rocks :p
I did try Quary's and nowadays people charge anywhere from $300-$500 per bed load, which is just about as bad as Home Depot. As for going and getting some myself, I totally would for small-ish projects, but I'd have to gather stones for weeks to acquire 10+ thousand pounds of stone lol. But hey, every little bit adds up, might when I'm bored here and there.
Blueberrybetta said:
I get a ton of river/pond rocks for free from people on facebook or craigslist
I guess I'll have to try and do some snipping, probably the best way to do it for cost effectiveness when you think about it.

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
or if you live near a river you can probably just walk along it and pick up what you see.. might need to be treated but thats another way

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A farmers fence row if you have any close. Its hand pick but their usually happy with $20 for all you want.

New Threads