Moss Paint With Java Moss (or Other)?

EvieP

BACKGROUN I haven't been keen on doing a full carpet of Java Moss for my 20 gallon tank that I'm working on, but I did want to include it in the shrimp "section". I have several of the half-dome, porous shrimp hidey-holes, and thought about making little mounded "islands" of moss, by just putting the moss on these, and leaving the area around either bare or with other plantings.

Outside of aquariums there is the ability to do "moss paint" for living graffiti. It's basically buttermilk, sugar, and water + a bunch of moss thrown in and blended to make a paint-like substance. The shreds of moss are distributed throughout and the mixture helps provide nutrients to get the moss started growing again on whatever surface it was painted.

MY IDEA: Do the same thing, but with Java Moss (since it's self-attaching). Paint my little shrimp mounds and keep them very moist until the Java Moss starts to grow and then move them to a submerged environment.

Any one else tried this? Have any idea if it's even feasible? Will I be wasting a lot of time and java moss for nothing?

richiep

Croeso welcome to fishlore
Well ive never come across this type of fixing plants to objects so I'm all eyes & years on this one, pictures as you go please

Rye3434

Jurijs Jutajevs has blended moss and aquasoil and painted wood with it to do a dry start.

Jenay

That sounds like a terrific idea. I've never heard of graffitI moss, but this sounds very interesting. I don't know that I'd put anything involving dairy products into a tank, but the moss/aquasoil sounds very promising.

DoraCory

I agree about the diary.

You could break up the moss really small, cover the tops of rocks/pebbles with aquarium super glue and then roll that in the moss "powder" instead.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Deathrehab
Replies
Views
Spudsssy
Replies
Views
r_e_g

Random Great Thread!

New Plant Threads