Moss Id Help

Platylover

Hello, I purchased some new moss and no one knew what species it was. Thus my coming here to ask. I can get different angled photos or pull it and get a photo of it out of the water if necessary.

Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• B67AF010-1B8A-4ABF-A403-F5DB72954020.jpeg
    B67AF010-1B8A-4ABF-A403-F5DB72954020.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 102B43EE-F76A-4AA2-A300-6F8E4C553673.jpeg
    102B43EE-F76A-4AA2-A300-6F8E4C553673.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 86

Bryangar

Hard to tell. what was it labeled as?

Platylover

Hard to tell. what was it labeled as?

There was no label, it was from an auction and the seller forgot to label them and was not there to ID for it. They did sell Christmas moss, but I know that’s not it (as I may have purchased that as well...).

I got a few more photos to hopefully try and help-

4c06ab517b025aee7584aedc477b9f15.jpg

9ea75a1a7a0dc5f2fc1e58a2a7cd804c.jpg
a068fc56823981eb373248947d48989b.jpg
2b479ea299d323ad379bb7f349565caf.jpg

Repolie

Flame moss?

Platylover

Flame moss?
I think that may be it, looks pretty similar. Does the flame moss branch off from itself though?

I noticed on some the “leaves” they sometimes branch off of eachother rather higher up on it. I didn’t notice the flame moss I looked up to be doing this.

Repolie

I think that may be it, looks pretty similar. Does the flame moss branch off from itself though?

I noticed on some the “leaves” they sometimes branch off of eachother rather higher up on it. I didn’t notice the flame moss I looked up to be doing this.
I know absolutely nothing about mosses so I can't help you. I just thought they looked similar.

Platylover

I know absolutely nothing about mosses so I can't help you. I just thought they looked similar.

Thank you anyway! It very well may be that and it’s just growing out some. I just thought the flames grew from the bottom and that’s how they spread out.

Jstabile316

Looks like Java moss to me but mosses are so hard to ID

abarb

Looks kind of like some terrestrial moss I saw someone growing underwater but I’m not sure.

Stoka

I would say Cameroon or Queen moss. Definitely not Christmas, Flame or Java moss. Mine are hidden deep in a nest of spider wood so I can’t really take a picture to compare.

Bryangar

I’m bad at iding moss, it all looks the same to me. Cameroon is an uncommon sp. Plus the leaves on it are round. OPs are spiky like most Taxiphyllum sp.

Platylover

Thanks for the input everyone!

Looks like Java moss to me but mosses are so hard to ID
I have a lot a of java moss currently and this doesn’t look white like it. This one is much deeper of a green and is a bit more compact.
Looks kind of like some terrestrial moss I saw someone growing underwater but I’m not sure.
Do you have any idea what the name of it was?
I would say Cameroon or Queen moss. Definitely not Christmas, Flame or Java moss. Mine are hidden deep in a nest of spider wood so I can’t really take a picture to compare.
Queen does look pretty similar to it, but this one is a bit pointier like bryanger said. So I’m not certain this would be it.
I’m bad at iding moss, it all looks the same to me. Cameroon is an uncommon sp. Plus the leaves on it are round. OPs are spiky like most Taxiphyllum sp.
They did say one of the mosses was a rarer one, so I may have purchased that one.

abarb

Do you have any idea what the name of it was?
It might have been feather moss? Does it look like this?
Is posting a link to google allowed?

Platylover

It might have been feather moss? Does it look like this?feather moss - Google Search
Is posting a link to google allowed?
It looks a little like that, but I don’t think that’s going to be it.

Posting links that are relevant and helpful to the thread are typically allowed. I also post links to google regularly, so I believe your good to go.

I tried getting in contact with the seller and he didn’t know the species either, but someone else said they had some unidentified callicostella that looks very similar. So far a species of callicostella is what I’m thinking it is as it really does look like one of them.

Platylover

Here’s a link I found that goes into detail about every common aquarium moss. Untitled Document

And one that shows a bunch of different aquarium mosses(including queen which doesn’t look like what you have). Аквариумные мхи, Продажа аквариумных мхов, Купить аквариумные мхи, Аквариумный мох купить
Thanks, it does look a bit like the Singapore moss, but it doesn’t have as light as coloration as the Singapore moss. Perhaps I may try to get a microscopic of it.

Bryangar

Thanks, it does look a bit like the Singapore moss, but it doesn’t have as light as coloration as the Singapore moss. Perhaps I may try to get a microscopic of it.
That was my first thought too when I saw it. Maybe try getting a picture of a single strand?

Platylover

That was my first thought too when I saw it. Maybe try getting a picture of a single strand?

Yeah, I’ll get a photo of the strand. Have to tie it to some wood anyone so I can grab it while doing that.

Platylover

Alright, here’s the strand. It’s a little light color than the photo shows, but still darker than the other mosses-

Attachments

• 8D17C760-3233-4071-B16D-7C41FA529BE5.jpeg
    8D17C760-3233-4071-B16D-7C41FA529BE5.jpeg
    394.3 KB · Views: 57

Bryangar

Alright, here’s the strand. It’s a little light color than the photo shows, but still darker than the other mosses-
yeah, the brown part is almost dead. So that’s why it’s darker. Singapore moss is my best guess. Let it grow a bit more and try to get a better close up .

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
Replies
Views
Halloween
  • Question
Replies
Views
Chiasmodon