Moss Died And P

1. Cazeil

Cazeil Valued Member Member

I put a clump of moss in my 10 gallon aquarium in preparation for red cherry shrimp. It all died and now my tank looks like it might be a little high in ammonia, test color yellow but ever so slightly tinted green; nitrites present at 2.0 and nitrates high, 5.0.

I am assuming that putting a little "good bacteria" in will help it return to normal more quickly?

And I am really wondering why the moss died. Maybe because I don't have a light in the tank?

Also, the pH test result is consistently light yellow. Maybe it is below 6.0? Is it important enough to get some sort of low pH test kit?

I use the API Freshwater Aquarium Master Test Kit.

2. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

What kind of moss? Did you put it in the substrate or tie it onto driftwood or stone? What is the temperature of your tank? I see your tank has no lighting, that may very well come into play as to the loss of the moss, but it really depends what kind of moss you had. Different mosses have different requirements..

If the tank is fully Cycled you shouldn't need to add anything to it for Ammonia it should go ahead and process through on its own. 2ppm of nitrIte indicates that the tank isn't fully cycled and 5ppm nitrAtes is not a high nitrAte reading, with shrimp you will want to keep nitrAtes below 20ppm in most cases although some shrimp can tolerate higher nitrAtes and some cannot tolerate even 20ppm. Might brush up your knowledge on the nitrogen cycle a bit :)

As for pH. APIs test kit is what most people use and is in general accurate enough for most stock. If you believe that your pH is below 6, I recommend getting a kH/gH test kit and checking that to be sure that you have water that will remain stable for your shrimp. Many shrimp appriciate a lower pH but not below 6. If your pH is below 6, it could be a significant factor in why your tank isn't cycled as the lower your pH and the more acidic the water the harder it is for the BB to survive. If you don't have enough of a kH & gH in your tank it can cause extremely low pH and dramatic pH swings and the issue should be addressed. Since there's already stock in the tank it will probably take a bit of time and dedication on your part to resolve it without harming or killing the stock.

3. OP
    OP
    Cazeil

Cazeil Valued Member Member

Thanks for the pithy reply. I took great care in cycling the tank which is why it was so confusing. I am starting over and have no living things in there right now. Haven't had a lot of time to put into it. I very much appreciate your reply and will get a KH/gH test kit and put nobody and nothing into the tank until I am sure it is stable. :)