Moss comparison: Java vs Christmas vs Willow moss

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by f2002, Jul 20, 2015.

1. f2002

f2002 Valued Member Member

I want to get some moss for my 20 gallon long tank. I'm not into tying moss on rocks. I like the idea of just a big ball of bright green moss growing somewhere in the background, like this:

My tank has 74-76 degrees water and medium lighting. I don't use co2 or any other plant additives other than the occasional Seachem Root Tabs. There are already 8-9 very established plants in the tank like vals and amazon swords.

Between Java, Christmas, and Willow,

• What kind is most likely to achieve that brilliant bright green seen in the picture above (with my water/lighting condition, and floating instead of being attached).
    • Which one grows the fastest?
    • Where's the best place to buy them (they are all so expensive!)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2015
  2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :)
    I have a lot of java moss in my tanks and it's a bright green. That moss in the picture you posted looks like java moss. The difference between the three mosses is how they grow and how they are shaped. These links will show you the mosses

Mosses are pretty slow growers. They should do fine in low light conditions. There's no co2 required. I would go with Java moss. I know some pet stores charge so much money for a very small amount of moss. Like a small cup for like 6-8 bucks. Try looking around locally. There might be some people selling moss on Craigslist. Check here on the forum, there's many members that sell Java moss for good prices, but you need 50 or more posts before buying. You can also try aquabid :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  3. OP
    OP
    f2002

Thank you for the warm welcome! If java moss can get really green, then that's probably the ideal choice for me. I hear they are pretty hardy and generally seem easier to come by. Thank you so much for the info!

4. AquaticBrandon

No problem! Yes java moss is very Hardy and very easy to take care of . Now that you hit 50 posts, you can go check out the Buy,Sell,Trade, Free part of the forum and see if any members are selling any java moss. Hope you enjoy the forum :)

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I bought some Java moss off someone on CL about a month ago and I don't notice any real growth. It must grow realllllll slow lol.

6. OP
    OP
    f2002

Has it stayed green? Is it bright green?

I haven't tried CL yet. But I've had some luck getting plants from Ebay.

7. AquaticBrandon

Yes, java moss is a pretty slow grower. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437487556.318184.jpg
    Here is a picture of my java moss on the left

8. Dom90

It's not really bright green, it's more of a faint green... Maybe when I dose excel, it's not getting it since I have a lot of plants and they're all fighting for nutrients and battling algae at same time lol.

9. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

In one tank it is bright green, in another tank it is faint green. However, the faint green is growing well, the bright green is just stagnant.
    Both from the same original clump. The faint green is in the main tank with fish and plants. The bright green is in a tank with plants and ramshorn snails.

10. cooperbh

cooperbh Valued Member Member

I prefer X-mas tree moss myself. When JM grows, the thin single individual strands simply get longer and can become quite unruly, always needing to be trimmed, tucked in and/or reshaped. CTM, on the other hand, has a more complex structure (like a mini fir tree) and gets bushier while remaining full-bodied. Plus, CTM seems to grow considerably faster.

Haven't had any experience with the WM.

11. OP
    OP
    f2002

Thanks for your input guys! Very cool to get perspectives from people who own these mosses in their tanks. My lfs has golf-ball sized xmas tree moss for $7. cooperbh is tempting me to get some ah ha.

12. cooperbh

cooperbh Valued Member Member

Or why not get all three? :;banana1:;broccoli:;pickle

I like to pinch off the faster growing CTM and mix it among the JM strands just to keep it tidy.

13. OP
    OP
    f2002

Ha ha you're a bad influence on me. :cool:

14. OP
    OP
    f2002

Wow that's gorgeous and exactly the looking I'm going for (big floating bright green clump). I know you said jm doesn't require co2 or very bright lighting, but in your tank did you use any co2 or bright lighting? How long did it take to grow that much and did you have to trim lots of brown from it?

15. AquaticBrandon

No I'm not using any co2 or have very bright lighting. The lighting on this tank is just some 6500k CFL light bulbs. I bought a lot of java moss from a person on Craigslist. I bought 2 sand which bags full of Java moss. I didn't trim any, it's just growing and getting greener. I have moss in all my tanks

16. sophi

sophi Well Known Member Member

I'm actually trying to get rid of some of my java moss. It's growing too well for me lol.

I've found it to be a confusing little plant. In my low/moderate tech betta tank, it looks absolutely stunning. It's thinner stemmed, but extremely healthy and bright green. And it grows at a pretty decent rate, not too fast but not too slow.
    However it's a completely different story with my high tech tank. The moss grows like a weed (I literally have a tank full of moss that I have no idea what to do with >_>) but it's dark green/brown and not attractive at all. I'm not sure if the lighting might be too harsh for it and is therefore turning it dark, but it definitely isn't pretty. It seems to thrive in a lower lighting set up versus a high tech, but that's only what I've noticed.

One thing I will say. If you have moss, imo, shrimp are a MUST. They will keep the moss flawlessly clean and healthy. Moss tends to be a debris trap so I definitely recommend something like Amano or RCS shrimp to keep it clean. Trust me, you will be grateful for them lol.

If you want any Java moss, feel free to pm me. I'm just looking to get rid of the extra I have, so I could practically just give you some. It's really beautiful under the right conditions, so I think you'd enjoy it in your tank!

17. OP
    OP
    f2002

Your tank doesn't use co2 or bright lights? WHAT IS THIS BLACK MAGIC?! j/k. Your tank looks gorgeous you must be very good at taking care of it. Thanks for the tips!

Awww sophi you are so nice! Thank you very much for the offer. But I really don't want to trouble you. The information and entertainment you guys provide me are already super awesome!

As for the shrimp, I have a Gold Ram in my tank that decimated my RCS population. Would a good lump of java moss be enough of a hiding place for the shrimps? Or do I have to get a shrimp tube. I also have kuhli loaches... don't know if they eat shrimp, but they can certainly get into very tight spaces.

18. Dom90

I don't think kuhli loaches eat shrimp but you never know, if they got hungry enough?

19. AquaticBrandon

Thanks! Yeah I don't use co2 or nothing. These are all low light plants which are very easy to take care of. I don't know about having RCS with other fish, as I've never kept them with other fish. I only keep RCS in their own tanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice