Question Moss Carpet In Plastic Canvas/other Mesh Or On Slate - Increased Risk Of Anaerobic Pocket?

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I might want to make a java moss carpet section with plastic canvas in/on my BDBS substrate.

However, I'm a bit concerned that it could create a good environment for an anaerobic air pocket underneath. I assume the same would be true for carpets attached to flat pieces of slate. Moss wouldn't root to break up the sand; the mesh or slate would just be a barrier, limiting access to whatever is underneath.

How, if at all, do folks minimize this risk when doing a carpet like this?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The risk is minimal, especially if you have other aquatic plants or burrowing animals that will help stir things up. Even then, if you're really worried about it, you could always gravel vac underneath the area where you're got your moss carpet.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The risk is minimal, especially if you have other aquatic plants or burrowing animals that will help stir things up. Even then, if you're really worried about it, you could always gravel vac underneath the area where you're got your moss carpet.
Thanks for the reply.:brb:

I try to keep snails out of my tanks so I wouldn't have the benefit of them rooting through the sand.

I figured the plastic and moss would float easily so they'd need to be anchored under the nearby sand. That would make it tricky to pull out and vacuum underneath.

Perhaps I'll cut some holes here and there in the canvas. Maybe that'll help tiny bubbles escape instead of collecting underneath. Or maybe I'll tie rocks to the corners for weight. Lots to think about.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I personally think your overthinking it. bubbles will not really build up, most likely they will either dissolve and end up in the water column OR whats probably going to happen, pass through between the mesh/moss and exit the tank.

Either way, with a minimal sand layer, its highly unlikely for anaerobic bacteria to develop in a large quantity enough to cause concern IMO. If so, people with heavily planted tanks would run into the same issue.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom