Moss Balls

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Do moss balls really help keep algae under control? Cause if so, I think I'll be ordering me some from somewhere.
My 10gal is breaking out with that ugly brown algae and it won't go away. I've been keeping the lights off more and more, but I swear every time I turn them back on it looks like more algae has spread.

Are there any other common plants that might help keep it down? Or anything else I could do to keep algae growth down?
I hate leaving the lights off so much b/c it leaves my bettas swimming in darkness, but I just don't know what else to do at this point.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Algae usually grows because there extra nutrients in the tank. Fast growing plants like wisteria and hornwort will compete with the algae for the extra nutrients and thus keep algae out of your tank and the betta will love the plants.
Carol

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well there is cabomba, dwarf sag and a sword on both sides of the tank. The cabomba seems to be growing pretty fast but i guess not fast enough hehe.
I think we have hornwort in our maintank. Not exactly sure what it is but it's grown very fast since we've gotten it so I'll get some and stick it into the tank

Thanks much for the info!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome! And I just realized I didn't answer your main question Since Algae balls(Cladophora aegagrophila) grow really slowly i wouldn't think they help too much to keep other algae in control. Here is some additional info on them.

Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Algae balls are cool! I've heard they float up and down the tank, lol (Up - when they're full of Oxygen, and down - when they're not.)

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have several that are at least 3 years old and they are the same size I have seen pics of them in the wild and they are really cool looking but I can't remember where I saw them.
Carol

kalika

Valued Member
Reaction score
Try to look up the different kinds of algae to find out what exactly your kind is. I had a serious problem with green algae clouding up my water. I could keep the lights off and did for two weeks once. It cleared right up but as soon as the lights were back on it would be back within days. I added some live plants and had no further problems. Then I started to get brown algae on the tank sides and decs. I had read that brown algae will actually grow in lower light conditions so instead of my normal fluorescent light, I changed to a full spectrum bulb in my hood. It is still considered to be low light I believe which my anubias and hornwort can handle but now with the full spectrum bulb, the brown algae has gone down quite a bit. Hope this helps but if not, then definitely look up your specific algae and there will be other suggestions that may help you more.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If your tank is only a few months old, you may be having problems with diatoms instead of algae. Diatoms look like algae, but aren't algae. They are only temporary in your tank, and fish like otos love them. I believe if you have diatoms, they actually don't like the light, and more light on them (whether longer light times or more watts per gallon) will get rid of them quicker.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom