Moss Balls

1. Eeth17 Initiate Member

My moss balls are unballing! How do I save them? Future care taking to keep them in balls?

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

You can't save them now, but you can take the scraps and affix them to your hardscape. I keep mine intact by squeezing the dirt out of them and putting them in the fridge overnight, every now and then.

3. smee82 Well Known Member Member

What do yoy mean by unballing.
    true marimo balls are a type of algae not moss.

4. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

To keep them in balls I would very gently squeeze them into tank water, and then again gently roll them around in your hand.

5. Eeth17 Initiate Member

They are unballing by falling apart and chunks are coming out

6. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Where did you get them from?

7. smee82 Well Known Member Member

The only thing i can think off is something your dosing yoir tank with is killing it. I cant think of any other reason chunks wpuld be falling off it. What are you dosing your tank with?

8. Eeth17 Initiate Member

I'm not dosing it with anything, could my oranda goldfish be picking them apart cause I know they like to eat at plants?

9. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

This happens overtime with moss balls if you aren't rolling them in your hands, but the goldfish picking at it is a possibility. I would try what I said to do with moss balls, and do it every water change.

10. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

Too funny, I was about to ask you about your stocking... for sure the Goldie's are munching on it...