Moss Ball Question

1. asdke Initiate Member

Recently I have been setting up my 10 Gallon, and I got a small 2 inch Terra Cotta Pot for 40 cents at Walmart, and I was wondering if I squeezed my 1.5 inch Moss Ball in the Pot, would it effect how the Moss Ball works? It would be squeeze, and probably decrease it's growing, and it would be less revealed to the water.

Attached Files:

2. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I don't understand why you want to hide the moss ball?
    Any reason for it?

Yes,the moss ball needs light and water, you actually need to clean it occasionally by swishi g it in the water and squeezing it. It also needs to be moved so that all parts will receive light.

3. smee82 Well Known Member Member

Putting it in a pot will kill it. It needs to be kept so it all gets water and light
  4. asdke Initiate Member

Yes, the moss ball does have light, and I do understand it needs to be squeezed to clean, I was simple wondering if putting it in the pot would kill it. Thank you.

5. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Is there a reason you want to keep it in the pot?
  6. Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

If you put it in the pot upright it may get some light, but then you would never see it... I think better placement would be in the shadow of the pot...
    I guess we just need some more info on you plan as to why you want to add it into the pot...
  7. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

You could always put aquarium gravel in the pot and then sit the moss ball on top. Leave a bit of room so it doesn't float off out of the pot of course

8. Betrayer Well Known Member Member

I would imagine that only the top of the moss ball would be able to get any light. You would need to regularly adjust the position of the ball so that different parts get the light. I don't think it will thrive under those conditions. Like others, I'm curious what is motivating you to want to keep it in a pot?
  9. Chaotiklown Initiate Member

Yip, even sitting in one spot not tumbling, that bottom side will go brown. Lack-of-light indicator. Likewise, if it starts turning white, that's a too-much-light issue...

These things naturally roll and tumble mostly. Good idea to dink it to another spot now & then, such as with tank cleanings.
  10. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

The moss ball is not one single organism but multiple. The ones on the top will thrive, but the ones on the bottom will rot and die because they have no light.