Moss Ball Problems...?

missa124816

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey!

So I ordered two live moss balls off of Amazon when I first got my fish tank a few months ago. I put only one of them in and it seemed to be working fine. However, after doing something wrong for my tank I noticed the water turned really cloudy. Many people said that was a new cycle blooming due to me changing my filter cartridge, which was the problem. I've waited a few weeks, but it's still cloudy. Readings are normal and my fish is acting like his normal self, but I don't know what the problem is.

I have a hunch it could be this moss ball because when I do a WC all this moss debris flies up in the tank, so should I take it out? Have two other fake plants in my tank. I have a 2.5 gallon tank, but I'm thinking of changing it into a 5 gallon tank. However, my fish just got situated in this tank so I'm not sure I want to make a stressful move on him. He doesn't like any of that nonsense haha.

Anyways, do any of you have ideas of what could be happening? Is it the moss ball or something else?

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Moss balls sometimes pickup gunge. You can take it out and wash it by squeezing any debris out in some dechlorinated water.

You can also test if the mossballs are causing an issue by removing them from the tank. Just store them in a sunny windowsill in a jar of water while you are running your test.

missa124816

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
maggie thecat said:
Moss balls sometimes pickup gunge. You can take it out and wash it by squeezing any debris out in some dechlorinated water.

You can also test if the mossballs are causing an issue by removing them from the tank. Just store them in a sunny windowsill in a jar of water while you are running your test.
Thanks so much! I'll do that tonight!

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
When I do water changes, I keep some in a gallon container than squish it several times like a stress ball in the water.. turns it really nasty. Then, when putting in back in the tank, I squeeze it a couple times in the tank to help it tank on water so it sinks better. As far as bacterial bloom when cycling.. my 54g tank was really cloudy for the entire month I was cycling.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom