Moss ball madness

1. joya

joya Valued Member Member

I purchased a moss ball in a cup last week from petsmart. I read reviews from others that if bought in a cup you wouldn't have to worry about hitchhikers. I'm scared to put it in my betta tank. I'm not sure if the moss was put in one of there tanks with fish to grow out. There is some residue at the bottom of the cup, just not sure! Thinking about returning it. How do I know if its a clean one or not, or is it possible to buy them dry, and grow them out yourself?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Here's a picture of my uncertain healthy moss ball.

Attached Files:

2. Delaneyw

Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

When I rinsed mine before adding it to my tank, I gave it a few squeezes to get the cup water out. Then I let it set in a cup of old tank water for a little while. I haven't had any hitch hikers.

3. h

hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

I got one, and it's fine. I think that the residue was just because they were shipped in those cups with the same water, and it hasn't been changed. I squeezed mine out in a little bit of dechlorinated water. A TON of gross stuff that was hiding in there came out, so I squeezed it a few times. After rinsing it out, I plopped it in the tank and it was great! Made a good hiding place for my cories because it was next to another decoration.

Those moss balls take FOREVER to grow, so I don't think that they would grow them out in their tanks. They probably had some in their tanks to show them off, but the ones in the cups probably never touched their water.

4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

**Threads merged**

5. OP
    OP
    joya

joya Valued Member Member

Thanks for the merging the thread, I couldn't figure it out.

That's good to know hopeful fish.