Moss Ball Life Span.

SquidBones

So to avoid making a long and lengthy paragraph about the history of my moss ball I'll just ask my questions about it.
How long do Moss Balls naturally live/last for before they need to be replaced? How long can they go without direct sunlight and can they utilize LED lights built into my TopFin aquarium lid (I kept it shaded by accident for two weeks when I was fighting a bacteria break-out)? How do I tell if it's alive or dead/dying? Finally, are they suppose to float like a fishing bobber?

Attachments

StarGirl

It probably has air in the inside. Take it and squeeze it in some tank water (not in the tank) until it sinks. This will get all the gunk from the inside out too. I think they live for a long time. It looks like you have plenty of light for a moss ball.

SquidBones

StarGirl said:
It probably has air in the inside. Take it and squeeze it in some tank water (not in the tank) until it sinks. This will get all the gunk from the inside out too. I think they live for a long time. It looks like you have plenty of light for a moss ball.
Hello StarGirl, thanks again for always answering. In regards to the lights, I always thought that UV light from the sun was different then light from, say, the LED lights on the tank, at-least in regards to the health of plants like the moss ball.
So it should be fine if it sat in the corner, shaded from the window. I'm trying to keep the bacteria film that grows everywhere under control, and I've noticed huge improvements when I blocked areas of the tank from getting light from the window. Unfortunately the moss ball's little corner is in the same area, don't want to kill it by accident.

Newbie1234

Moss balls live over 200 years definitely don't need to replace it if it stays healthy

StarGirl

SquidBones said:
Hello StarGirl, thanks again for always answering. In regards to the lights, I always thought that UV light from the sun was different then light from, say, the LED lights on the tank, at-least in regards to the health of plants like the moss ball.
So it should be fine if it sat in the corner, shaded from the window. I'm trying to keep the bacteria film that grows everywhere under control, and I've noticed huge improvements when I blocked areas of the tank from getting light from the window. Unfortunately the moss ball's little corner is in the same area, don't want to kill it by accident.
Moss balls are different than regular plants. I believe they do good in any light. Just squeeze it out to get the stuff they hold inside every once in awhile to get it out. Just remember not in the tank. ;)

Top Bottom