Mosquitofish

Jimothy K

Mosquitofish: often overlooked as an aquarium fish. These fish are also known as gambusia, or gambezi. They are a guppy like fish with a schooling/showing mentality. They are livebearers, and are easy to breed. To breed them, follow any guidelines for guppy or platy breeding. This fish are great for beginners, and are great for native tanks. They are often wild caught, and you can catch them yourself at any local pond or stream. The minimum tank size for these fish is about a five gallons, but they should be kept in a ten gallon, since they like to school up when a predator approaches in the wild, and you will need at least 6 of them. They will readily accept any food that will fit in their mouths. they can be housed as a cold water or a tropical fish, which is what makes them so beginner friendly. They can also be kept in brackish tanks, if properly adjusted. I personally have seen them in pure salt water as well.

SM1199

I didn't believe the staying in salt water part, so I looked it up, and wow, you were right! One study kept them in full sea water for 7 days and afterwards put them back in freshwater and there were relatively low mortality rates.

emeraldking

Well, mosquito fishare not endemic to Europe but in several countries in Europe they've been released as well. Overhere, they are found mainly in freshwater but in regions of Spain and the Canary islands you are able to find them in pure salt water as well.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AquaticIcthyologist
Replies
Views
ArthurTheAquarist
Replies
Views
Jimothy K
Replies
Views