Mosquitoes On Top Of Tank

DiscusxGold

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi guys,

Just above my tank i have a huge mosquito problem.

They seem to like the humidity just above my fish tank and on the walls.

Any remedy for this, it seems that im breeding mosquitoes...

Picture of tank:
20180914_214021.jpg

Wall besides tank:
20180914_213926.jpg
the little black spots are mosquitoes hanging around...

Harlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
The water is probably stagnant. Mosquitos lay eggs in stagnant water.

oOBlueOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What kind of fish do you have in there? They might take care of the mosquito problem for you.

DiscusxGold

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
oOBlueOo said:
What kind of fish do you have in there? They might take care of the mosquito problem for you.
Its a guppies planted tank.

I dont think they lay eggs in the tank but the mosquitoes do hang around the wall and aquarium due to the humidity.

I once saw a guppies eating a mosquito larvae.

DiscusxGold

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Harlee said:
The water is probably stagnant. Mosquitos lay eggs in stagnant water.
I have an hob filter on this tank. I cant do too much water movement due to having plants in the tank.

Im breeding mosquitoes xP.

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would get rid of it quick. I had a tank sitting with stagnant water for a couple weeks with a light and some wood and plants. Earlier this week I noticed the mosquito larvae, but I figured they were small aquatic bugs. The next day I realized there were a bunch of mosquitoes in my room. It's been a battle to kill them ever since. I ended up emptying the tank two days ago to get rid of the larvae.

Harlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
I agree with MaximumRide14 ! I don’t know if fish can get sick eating mosquitos with diseases but diseases like west nile are on the rise right now at least where I live ! I’d get them out asap

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds more like midgys then mozzies if your notgetting bitten. Have you ever fed live bloodworms.

Zachhubb

Reaction score
DiscusxGold said:
I have an hob filter on this tank. I cant do too much water movement due to having plants in the tank.

Im breeding mosquitoes xP.
The more flow you can get in a planted tank the better!!

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I used to have this problem, I'd always see them in warmer weather hanging out in the space underneath the lid (never noticed wrigglers in the water but I assume I was breeding them in the tank). This was years ago and I changed filters, and while it's only slightly higher flow rate, I have the nozzle pointed toward the surface and get a lot more surface agitation -haven't really noticed the problem since.

DiscusxGold

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
smee82 said:
Sounds more like midgys then mozzies if your notgetting bitten. Have you ever fed live bloodworms.
I only feed them with flakes and algae tabs. I do get bitten with them....:dead:

DiscusxGold

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
allllien said:
I used to have this problem, I'd always see them in warmer weather hanging out in the space underneath the lid (never noticed wrigglers in the water but I assume I was breeding them in the tank). This was years ago and I changed filters, and while it's only slightly higher flow rate, I have the nozzle pointed toward the surface and get a lot more surface agitation -haven't really noticed the problem since.
I currently have a small HOB filter on this tank, which i'm planning to replace with a bigger 1 next week.

Can i ask what type of filters do you use?

I'm concerned with my plants with a higher flow rate there will be more water agitation in the tank, don't know if my plants will grow well under these condition.

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DiscusxGold said:
I currently have a small HOB filter on this tank, which i'm planning to replace with a bigger 1 next week.

I'm concerned with my plants with a higher flow rate there will be more water agitation in the tank, don't know if my plants will grow well under these condition.
I have an aqueon quietflow, those work quite well even though they can be strong. Sponge filters also work great too, but it kind of depends on what fish you keep with them.

FishAddictFamily

Reaction score
DiscusxGold said:

If you think about the current in the ocean/rivers I hardly think a filter could compare to that. They will adapt to new flow rate. Plus the higher circulation of water is beneficial to your tank in many ways

rainbowsprinkles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guppies will eat mosquitoes as they hatch from floating eggs. Great for your fish.. Bu they are attracted to the still water. I’d be more concerned with the guppies in high flow than plants... try adding a bubbler or spray bar. That may be enough to deter mosquitoes. And check if you have any other, cups buckets etc of standing water in the room.. if they are breeding successfully somewhere you will see hundreds of larvae..

rainbowsprinkles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Or you could just put some screening on top

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DiscusxGold said:

I use Hydor Crystal 1 filters (in my 20 gallon tanks), with the nozzle directed toward the surface, so most of the agitation is on the surface rather than through out the tank. I only have anubias plants now, but have had amazon swords and chain sword etc in the past. I think it would be fine for any plants though, maybe just not floating plants.

DiscusxGold

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks guys,

I just replaced my small HOB with an internal filter with the nozzle pointed towards the top, the mosquitoes numbers have decreased .

My plants are doing better with the flow around, i used to get some sort of white stuff or algae around the leaves of my plant, with the flow its gone now.

rainbowsprinkles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good to know that actually helped! Thanks for updating.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom