Mosquito larvae

1. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

So I was thinking I'd seen somewhere that community fish like mosquito larvae. Is this a smart meal/treat for swordtails, guppies, glo tetras and platy?

If so, tips on farming them without actually farming more mosquitos?

2. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

3. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Perfect! Thanks.

Do you think having one of those fly catcher contraptions would work for not letting the adult mosquitos escape after laying eggs or if they happened to finish the life cycle?

4. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

I check the water every day! I leave the top open. I siphon the water through a fine mesh net and feed them to the fish. Guppies love it. Bettas love it. Tetras love it. The only con I know of is if you do not stay on top of it those little buggers will become adults! So check the water regularly!

5. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Well I found a dog water bucket that had gotten placed in a flower pot at some point and was tipped sideways, partially filled with algae water and swarming with larvae today. I dipped a glass cup at a time and sucked them up in an unused medicine dropper and let them sink to the tip and barely helped them out and the fish went crazy. The fish were waiting by the dropper after just a few releases. I got a fine mesh net today so I'll strain the bucket tomorrow and see what I've got. I definitely don't want to add to the adult mosquito population!

6. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Cool. You can use rainwater or water from a partial water change.

7. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Found another container out back full of rain water and funk. I strained it as well as dipped out a cup full of water to sort through in the house. I'm pretty sure there was a good population of blood worms in there too. [​IMG]

8. Frogtank1 Member Member

I fed my fish mosquito larvae this spring, they love them.

I will add that it was nice to see them hunt food vs eat man made pellets.

9. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Aquaphobia also feeds and them to her fish . and yes she raises them Alison;)

10. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

I've put a pail out and transferred some algae from the old pail and filled with water. It's been on the shaded back porch for several days now. I've been checking it but haven't seen any mosquitos yet.

I wish I'd thought to strain the big trash can that had some pea gravel in it and a plastic fence (like the roll of orange caution fence) in it that was full of rain water before my wife threw a mosquito dunk into it!