Mosquito Larvae Okay For Fish?

Triston Wasmund
I found a bunch of mosquito larvae in this water fall fountain thing on our patio ( hasn't been run in a couple of years, and is only full of water because of rain water) and I was wondering if I could give some to my guppies for some live action, and maybe even some to my guppy fry. Thanks!!

AWheeler
I kept a couple of comets in my rain barrel last year for mosquito control (along with a sponge filter). They are pretty big now and anxiously awaiting to go back to their barrel

r5n8xaw00
The larvae itself is fine and good for the fish, but the water that they where in, not so sure about that. But I am far from being an expert on this.

Triston Wasmund
The larvae itself is fine and good for the fish, but the water that they where in, not so sure about that. But I am far from being an expert on this.
Well I was just going to take a fish net, and run all the way upstairs to my room and dump a couple in.

I kept a couple of comets in my rain barrel last year for mosquito control (along with a sponge filter). They are pretty big now and anxiously awaiting to go back to their barrel
So I tried feeding a big one to my female guppy, and surprisingly she went after it, but spit it out, sucked it back in, and just spit it out again. Now she just ignore it.. I'm hoping my ghost shrimp will somehow find it and attack it. BUT I put 3 small ones in my guppy fry tank and they all got eaten!! I hope they are good in protein and everything, because I am about to do a feeding for all of the fry!

Niki Rose
Larvae is fine Ive bought some frozen ones before and all my fish love them .

Delta33
My fish love them

75g Discus Tank
My Discus love it the most out of all of my fish. Summer is coming soon and so are the mosquitos!

ASHLEY R COOK
Interesting. During summer I go through my neighbors yard to dump standing water (they don't live in the house and we have an extreme mosquito problem) maybe I'll net some before I dump them!

yukondog
I've been feeding them to my fish for a long time and never had any problems, there good when conditioning your fish before breeding.When I collect them I put them in the fridge overnight and that makes them sink to the bottom and they don't move, then I pore as much water out as I can using a eyedropper to catch any that float by, rinse drain repeat a couple of times, feed what I want to and freeze the rest in small ice cube tray for latter. When flushing they will become active again but not after freezing. Hope this helps.

Redshark1
I have these in summer in my water butt along with Daphnia, Cyclops and Bloodworm. My Neon Tetras go crazy for them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
angelcraze
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • Question
Replies