Mosquito larvae good fish food??

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Has anyone heard of feeding their fish mosquito larvae?

Someone told me that in the summer to put a bucket of water outside until there are some larvae and I'll have free fish food all summer!

Anyone tried this before?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
faboo protein just make sure there isnt any chemical sprays around where you collect them

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I haven't tried intentionally growing my own, but my fish always love them! Bettas eat mosquito larvae in the wild, and my 2 boys like them a lot. I think it's a pretty good idea.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The way I was told to do it was this:
Take a mesh bag (the kind that you would put supplemental filter media, like peat moss, in) and fill with grass clippings (like Shawnie said, avoid any sort of chemical spray). Drop that in a bucket of water.
Let it sit until you've got larvae. Strain out what you need, dump the water, and repeat. If you want to feed them larva more than every couple of days, keep more than one bucket going, and start them on different days. In addition to feeding your fish, you're actually reducing the amount of mosquitoes in your yard, as the females are wasting their energy laying eggs that will never become adults. It's a win-win situation.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
just another note also...they are very rich in protein so make sure the fish you are going to feed them to, require or wont be harmed with too much protein..otherwise, use them as a treat

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
just another note also...they are very rich in protein so make sure the fish you are going to feed them to, require or wont be harmed with too much protein..otherwise, use them as a treat
Excellent point.
The gentleman who gave me the information above said that he normally feeds his fish a mix of high-quality frozen foods, but when he wants to prime his fish for breeding, he feeds live foods such as mosquito larvae.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Like little worms, basically. They're little, tiny, squirmy things.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you want to feed them larva more than every couple of days, keep more than one bucket going, and start them on different days. In addition to feeding your fish, you're actually reducing the amount of mosquitoes in your yard, as the females are wasting their energy laying eggs that will never become adults. It's a win-win situation.
It can also backfire on you! I have done this before and I forgot to harvest my larva and 3 days later, I was being bitten for my stupidity..

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It can also backfire on you! I have done this before and I forgot to harvest my larva and 3 days later, I was being bitten for my stupidity..
Definitely don't forget to check. You also may want to set it up in a distant corner of your yard, so you don't have the mosquitoes hatching right next to your front door.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good point on using them to prime your fish for breeding!! Live foods just seem to have a way of getting female fish to start developing eggs....and males more healthy..therefore more fertile, (fertiller..lol)

Last edited:

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I'd better quit eating all these live foods then, I've got too many kids as it is!

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Whats the best way to freeze them if I have too many?

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm converting mosquito farm to bloodworm ranch (bloodworms don't bite), but, having previously fed mosquitoes, say THEY ARE AWESOME FOOD!

A bit of advice: raise your own. Grab some eggs (little floating rafts of tiny oblong black eggs) and put them in a jar of tank water with a bit of baker's yeast, or, as Shawnie said, a mesh bag of grass clippings.

Wait 'till they hatch (or, if you're lazy, just grab a netful of larvae and dump them in the jar and allow infusoria to grow in the water from decaying vegetable matter. At this point, cover the jar with plastic wrap with holes in it or (duh) mosquito netting.

Mosquito larvae grow pretty fast. Harvest some, maybe 2/3 when they're mature (half an inch long), but let the rest pupate. The pupa look like little curled up cocktail shrimp or beetles from the top, the somersault through the water. NEVER FEED PUPA TO SMALL FISH, THEY MAY CHOKE.

After the pupa become adults, they require a blood meal. The easiest thing to do is just to stick your arm into the jar and let the mosquitoes bite you (seriously! It's not that bad!), or get a rabbit to volunteer . Or just swat the mosquitoes and put them in the tank for food, too.

If you fed them blood, the females will lay eggs into the jar, and you'll have a constant supply of these yummy little guys for your fish. If not, just find some in the original source and start again.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hehe I hate them. But I just make sure they bite me in a spot that won't interfere with my daily activities (usually right in the center of the arm, kinda like a doctor's vaccination shot) and I can scratch at easily.

chumzhujun

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
just put a plate of stagnat water.
But remeber u got to check or else they turn into adult and you will have some scratching going on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom