Mosquito Larva

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by FishL:)), Apr 12, 2017.

1. FishL:))

FishL:))Well Known MemberMember

Hey guys!!

I have a quick question for you all. :)

I found this little puddle/pond in my backyard woods that is packed FULL of mosquito larva.I've already given them a few and they seemed to love them. Is it okay to feed them to my guppies and bettas? I want to make sure before I feed them anymore. Also, would they be beneficial?

Thx ahead of time!!

2. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

There is no better food. As long as they haven't been sprayed - they are natural food for both species.
    If they are too developed though, you are their food.

I feed Daphnia and mosquito larvae collected locally all summer long. Spring is coming, and my fish will soon be happy. I know of no food that makes them breed more than mosquito larvae, and in 20 years of feeding it to fish, I have never had any suffer. Lots of breeding right after feeding though.

3. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Absolutely feed them mosquito larvae! So long as there are no chemicals in the puddle/pond, the mosquito larvae are excellent for your fish.
    The larvae are guppies' natural food source, and are high in protein and vitamins. Your betta will benefit from them too. Also, they are live food, a treat for aquarium fish. They won't pollute the water, and are especially good to feed fry.

4. Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

I feed my fish mosquito larvae from our rain barrel all the time! They love them! No harm at all as long as the water you get them from hasn't come into contact with pesticides of anything of that sort.

5. OP
    OP
    FishL:))

FishL:))Well Known MemberMember

Oh wow!! I'm really excited!! I love finding out little way to enrich and make their lives happy. :)
    2nd, I'm really excited about them being able to have food live, and chase it around!!

One more thing.
    The puddle/pond is just rain water, and there aren't any pesticides around.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice