Mosquito Fish Won't Give Birth

1. D

DanioLover707 New Member Member

Hi, this is my first thread on Fish Lore! I have 8 mosquito fish(four males, four females) that I caught at a lake last summer. For all who don't know this, mosquito fish are an invasive species that is closely related to guppies. I began to chart their breeding on May 29, but they were most likely breeding before that. Today they only have the light pink spot, and they've been stuck in this phase for a while now. The average gestation period for a mosquito fish is 26 days... I just don't know why they aren't progressing at all. If anybody has an answer to this problem, that would be greatly appreciated! P.S. The females were in a tank with a turtle and the four males, but now they are in their own tanks. I know they can hold off on giving birth if they feel unsafe, but I thought it was later on in their pregnancy.

2. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    What are your water parameters?

3. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Well, they are not invasive if you live in the southern US from Georgia to Texas. There are also natural populations as far as Illinois following the Mississippi drainage.

The female will have to be isolated in a heavily stuffed tank of Guppy grass, or some other thick plant. They are very good at eating their own fry. Gestation depends on temperature, the cooler they are, the longer it takes. If it gets too hot or too cold, they may not develop young.

4. OP
    OP
    D

DanioLover707 New Member Member

Thanks for the advice! I'll try putting a single female in her own tank and see what the outcome is!!!