Mosquito Fish Pregnant?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by Jprai, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Jprai

JpraiNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    AB24DBF1-AAD3-49DD-B658-B776B0CF63F5. hey guys Im new to the forum so I’m glad to be here! I have a few mosquito fish and I’m trying to figure out if they are pregnant or not. I have a few photos of all 3 females and will post them on here.
    Thanks! A12A3267-EACD-47FD-8888-C163AF48DD7E.

2. esqueff

esqueffValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +54
    Experience:
    5 years
    Hello!! Yes at least the big one definitely appears to be pregnant. The other two might be as well. I used to keep mosquitofish a few years ago, they are fun little fish! Do you have any males in the tank? Where did you get them from?

3. OP
    OP
    Jprai

JpraiNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a few smaller males in the tank I got them from the lake in my backyard a few days ago. I wanted to breed them because I have a pet bass and I don’t want to keep having to pull fish from the lake to feed it. I didn’t know if they were pregnant or not cause the smaller males aren’t aggressive at all and the females are docile as well.

And how can you tell that they are pregnant?

Here are some better pics of the 3 females and 2 males both around that size. There are smaller ones in the tank too that were in the minnow trap I pulled out of my lake. It’s a good variety. I’d say I have 2 males to about 6 females in there total

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2019
  4. esqueff

Ratings:
    +54
    Experience:
    5 years
    There’s a very small chance they could just be fat but I’d say 99.99% chance pregnant. Pretty much the standard rule with Livebearers is that if females and males are mixed together the females are pregnant always haha. Especially with mosquito fish too. They are the most prolific breeders I have ever kept and I’ve had all the Livebearer species besides endlers.

Have they been accepting to food yet from you or what have you been feeding them? Are they still very skittish and jolty when you are around or have they settled down?

As far as using them for a food source by breeding them yourself I’d say it will probably not be as much of a food source as you are hoping. I actually used to keep a bass and a bluegill as well and they required more food then you would ever think possible!

5. OP
    OP
    Jprai

JpraiNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    They are accepting flake food as well as black worms. They are not really skittish when I’m near the tank. I have a bubbler and some plants as well as the filter running... what was the ideal condition to breed them from your experience water temp and etc.
    The bass do indeed eat a lot but I feed them a variety of foods such as worms, fish food, live food such as minnows and any raw fish I buy from the store. They are like living trash cans lol they’ll eat anything

I also see some of the males going towards the back end of the females and sort of bumping into them too. I don’t know if that means anything just thought I’d mention it

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2019
  6. esqueff

Ratings:
    +54
    Experience:
    5 years
    Sounds good, I asked because I’ve seen sometimes it might take a little bit for them to get comforatabke and start trying to breed again. It does sound like your males are trying already in the tank. I wouldn’t doubt it for a second that they are pregnant.

When I kept them with a friend of mine, we had them in a 10 gallon tank. Started out with 3 females and two males. One of the females gave birth only about 3 days later. After that it seemed every couple of weeks they were all giving birth. In just about 4 months we had so many fish in there we just had to take them out haha. Luckily lots of people like them in ponds to eat mosquito larvae. If I remember right we had them in about 78 degree water. I’m pretty sure they can handle a very very large range in temperatures tho.

7. OP
    OP
    Jprai

JpraiNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok sounds good! Thanks so much

8. esqueff

Ratings:
    +54
    Experience:
    5 years
    How’s are your fish doing? Have the mosquito fish fattened up or given birth?