Mosquito Fish Pond idea?

1. lukester Initiate Member

Can I make a 30 gallon rubbermaid into a container pond and fill it with mosquitofish? It won't have a filter/oxygenation unit which I heard they survive in. Will it work? Just curious.

2. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

It would work, but your water needs movement, plants and water changes so you dont end up with algae issues, low oxygen or high ammon, nitrite, nitrate.

3. kittykat0725 Member Member

You might want to consider something bigger, because mosquito fish breed like crazy! I started with 4 in my 350 gal goldfish pond and the next thing I knew, I counted 10+! So the pond has to be big enough to get large numbers. Maybe get two goldfish instead, they are way prettier! And easier to see, get the goldfish kind that is about 25 cents at petsmart. They may seem like cheap little goldfish that will die in a week outside, but I got mine there and they have been alive for at least five years. Don't get more then two though, because 29 gals is the minimum for one of those guys, but it should be fine. My pond doesn't have a filter, air pump, or heater and they have always been fine. Unless you get lots of snow, they'll be fine. Be sure to make rock caves and stuff for them to hide from predators. As far as algae, take a rake and once a week for a few minutes rake out any algae you see. Do not use algae control as it takes oxygen out of the water and you need an air pump to use it. There is a thing called SUPER BUGS and RAPID CLEAR that I use for my pond every few days, it cleans the water and makes it clear. Each bottle is about 30$ so maybe hold off on that. Anyways sorry for the long ramble hope I helped. :)

Sent from my KFSOWI using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app