Question Morphological Differences Between Young Cherry And Amano Shrimps?

bitseriously

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Does anyone know of a way to visually (non-macro) tell the difference between very young amano and cherry shrimps?

Like a few others here, I like a challenge. I have amano shrimps in all my tanks, with females often berried, I figured why not try to raise babies? I had very limited success my first time round, and managed to get 5 baby shrimps back into freshwater. I'm already going again.

I don't have a dedicated shrimp tank (yet ), so the smaller-than-a-rice-grain babies went into a generally shrimp friendly tank, that is well planted with lots of cover. That was maybe a week and a bit ago. Now my problem is that I don't expect to see them for some time, until they're big enough to come out. I also have a few baby cherry shrimps in the same tank, and my question is, can anyone tell the difference between very young uncoloured cherry shrimps, and young amanos? What I mean is, are there any morphological differences that will be evident (without macro pics) even among the younglings?

I tried googling "amano vs cherry shrimp", and every hit talks about which is better at algae control, not about morphologies/identification.

Thanks!

appcontrol

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hatching amano shrimp isn't problem as I know baby's need to spend some time in brackish water then slowly you need to drop salinity before you add them to freshwater I am not the expert but I did read some things about breeding so actual percentage that they will survive is very small. As morphology goes use scientific names for some quality science papers.

BillynJennifer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rearing Amano shrimp is extremely difficult, if not impossible. The eggs will hatch and will immediately need to go into full salinity salt water. Also, since Amano shrimp babies go through several larval stages, it is going to be difficult to filter your water without sucking up the babies.

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BillynJennifer said:
Rearing Amano shrimp is extremely difficult, if not impossible. The eggs will hatch and will immediately need to go into full salinity salt water. Also, since Amano shrimp babies go through several larval stages, it is going to be difficult to filter your water without sucking up the babies.
Pretty sure she means she got them transitioned back to freshwater after hatching them in salt??!!

BillynJennifer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Smalltownfishfriend said:
Pretty sure she means she got them transitioned back to freshwater after hatching them in salt??!!
Oh, I missed that. I'd really love to read her breeding journal, if she kept one.

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BillynJennifer said:
Oh, I missed that. I'd really love to read her breeding journal, if she kept one.
I could be wrong same here, it fascinates me but I feel like it is quite the process!!

OP
bitseriously

bitseriously

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
She’s a he, for starters. But no mind.
Yes, I successfully raised babies from fw eggs/larvae, through salt for 6 weeks, and back to fresh. So few survivors I feel that calling it a success is a stretch, but I’m doing it again, so hopefully I can build on it.
My actual question was about differences between young cherries and Amanos, after the latter have returned to freshwater, still hoping for some shrimp experts to pitch in...

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How big are the ammanos after the last morph as once that takes place its identical as its parent but I'd also assume its bigger than a baby cherry or are they not

OP
bitseriously

bitseriously

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
richie.p said:
How big are the ammanos after the last morph as once that takes place its identical as its parent but I'd also assume its bigger than a baby cherry or are they not
When I transferred them over, they were pretty tiny. Smaller than a grain of uncooked rice. I've seen some vids (youtube) of the just-metamorphosed amanos, and the folks doing the filming are obviously using some pretty slick camera gear, or at least a good zoom or lens, because the babies are much smaller in person than they appear on the vids.
I've had baby cherry shrimps in various community tanks, and there's a sort of minimum size where you start to see them out and about but still close to cover, and the baby amanos are right around that size. They're small enough that they could disappear in the gravel or around the bases of plants and I wouldn't see them.
I'd rather have a dedicated shrimp farm tank that I could transfer them to at this stage, but I'm running out of space, and time.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Theres no problem mixing them as Ammanos won't eat the cherry, the plus side they will benefit from the baby food you feed your cherries and they will be in a mature tank

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom